Boat seat arrangements...

uptomyknee_s

I picked up another seat a few weeks ago.
It is designed to clamp under the thwart board. It does not swivel but an interesting clamp arrangement. I'll put some photo's up if anyone is interested.

Cap'n Fishy

I was there when Quint was looking at these.with a view to purchasing some.I don't know if the deal came off.

Jim
Yeh - Quint was asking me about which boats I preferred for drifting, and about seat arrangements. It's great to see a fishery manager interested in every aspect of the fishing like that.

He would need to put them on in the morning and bring them in at night. If you leave those seats out in all weather, the cushion soaks up rain water, and you get a wet arse every time you sit on it. Need to put your waterproof troosahs over it. 😜

And the plastic loses its plasticisers and becomes brittle and the back snaps off the seat. They Merkister boats have those seats set on pedestals, and a lot of them have plates bolted to them to replace the hinges where they have snapped. The pedestals are really good - 360 degree swivel for covering a rise... but they are prone to snapping as well. I took a header in one of them when the pedestal snapped while I was sitting on it. Nae calling me a fat bastard now! 😜

Col

uptomyknee_s

Sure - fire them up - that's what this thread is for - let's everyone see all the different options available. 👍

Col
Here we go.
Hopefully the photographs are pretty self explantory. But just to explain. The two studs are M12 threaded bar.
The back and front supports are some sort of hardwood with a thin but heavy duty rubber top.
The centre bar is the adjustable clamp.
Basically it is drilled at one end and the other end has a slot machined ito it.
A small bolt has been threaded through the side to prevent the clamp swinging.
I hope I have explained it ok. The only change I am going to make is to do away with the wing nuts and replace them with Star Knobs as I think they would be easier to tighten up with cold hands.
Graham

Attachments

Cap'n Fishy

Here we go.
Hopefully the photographs are pretty self explantory. But just to explain. The two studs are M12 threaded bar.
The back and front supports are some sort of hardwood with a thin but heavy duty rubber top.
The centre bar is the adjustable clamp.
Basically it is drilled at one end and the other end has a slot machined ito it.
A small bolt has been threaded through the side to prevent the clamp swinging.
I hope I have explained it ok. The only change I am going to make is to do away with the wing nuts and replace them with Star Knobs as I think they would be easier to tighten up with cold hands.
Graham
Thanks, Graham - I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to use that on a thwart that has a buoyancy tank under it. This sort of thing...

It's a regular problem...

Then you have the boats that don't even have a thwart where you want to sit!

🤪

Bank fishers have it easy! :whistle:

Col

uptomyknee_s

Thanks, Graham - I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to use that on a thwart that has a buoyancy tank under it. This sort of thing...

It's a regular problem...

Then you have the boats that don't even have a thwart where you want to sit!

🤪

Bank fishers have it easy! :whistle:

Col
Hi Col,
No it is designed purely for boats with a thwart board. Luckily the few reservoirs that I fish dont have the thwarts with the buoyancy tank underneath.
In my opinion it is quite a simple but well thought out clamp set up other than the wing nuts but that is a simple fix. The total weight is just under 8kgs,

fidfish

×Hi all

I’ve just acquired one of these plastic folding seats and been thinking how best to fit them. I really like Coll’s idea of the board with non slip matting and Velcro straps. Have you considered adding torsion springs with rubber feet that “might” then allow the same set up to mount on a seat with a buoyancy tank. Not sure if there would be enough pressure to hold it tight, suppose it would depend on the spring strength. Just a thought!,

cheers
Kenny

Cap'n Fishy

This one is very popular on our club water...

There is a supply of them in the boat shed and it is quite common to see boats go out with 2 of them, fore and aft...

codyarrow

I built my first boat seat out of 2 bits of 4x2. Couple of stoppers glued and screwed at each end to pin them together and stop the seat sliding off port and starboard. The seat was taken from a plastic primary school chair (bloody tough) and attached to the wood with 2 x 6" bolts drilled through seat and wood, which never used nuts, just dropped them into place. Seat is totally safe, wood does not move as much as my metal airflo seat, comfortable and cost £5.
The only drawback is you need enough length in a vehicle to transport it.

Gdog

This one is very popular on our club water...

There is a supply of them in the boat shed and it is quite common to see boats go out with 2 of them, fore and aft...
The fella sitting on that chair would be OK in calmer conditions, but could be rocked around in a big wave. Not for me, I prefer when me arse is sitting on something fixed to the boat. Thought it looks comfortable and is the right height.

Cap'n Fishy

The fella sitting on that chair would be OK in calmer conditions, but could be rocked around in a big wave. Not for me, I prefer when me arse is sitting on something fixed to the boat. Thought it looks comfortable and is the right height.
Aye, it's just a wee 50 acre loch - no danger of big waves on it.

My mate arrived and realised he had left his seat at home, so I went and fetched him one of those from the boathouse.

I wouldn't fancy it myself, like. Too much danger of trapping the fly line under a leg! 🤪

Col

colliedog

I built my first boat seat out of 2 bits of 4x2. Couple of stoppers glued and screwed at each end to pin them together and stop the seat sliding off port and starboard. The seat was taken from a plastic primary school chair (bloody tough) and attached to the wood with 2 x 6" bolts drilled through seat and wood, which never used nuts, just dropped them into place. Seat is totally safe, wood does not move as much as my metal airflo seat, comfortable and cost £5.
The only drawback is you need enough length in a vehicle to transport it.
I hope it's not one of they wee seats the P1s use 😁

Mark Hirst, the ghillie on Lochs Arkaig/Lochy has a school type bucket seat built into a wooden frame. As it is tailored to his boat he prefers the stern rod to use it rather than their own. I was surprised how comfortable it was despite no cushion. Perhaps a reflection on how much padding I carry 😕

Cap'n Fishy

I hope it's not one of they wee seats the P1s use 😁

Mark Hirst, the ghillie on Lochs Arkaig/Lochy has a school type bucket seat built into a wooden frame. As it is tailored to his boat he prefers the stern rod to use it rather than their own. I was surprised how comfortable it was despite no cushion. Perhaps a reflection on how much padding I carry 😕
Here you are in the aforementioned seat...

In our usual weather we get for Loch Lochy! 🤪

Other views of it...

Col