Boat seat security

kenyanscott

Hi guys

this might be a stupid question (although I like to think no question is a stupid one if you don’t know the answer)

so I have an airflo boat seat that I’ve made some mods to (removed the original cushion, put a swivel on and added a tld style seat to it)

but I was recently out on a day out leaned over and nearly fell off. The feedback I got was I should secure the boat seat so that it doesn’t do that. As it could result in an injury or a broken rod (good feedback and valid)

but I’m not sure how I secure it. I can only use ratchets or bungie chords if there are gaps under the boats normal seats and I can’t think of any other way to do it.

Has anyone experienced this and have any advice?

Cap'n Fishy

For sure - it's a common problem
Hi guys

this might be a stupid question (although I like to think no question is a stupid one if you don’t know the answer)

so I have an airflo boat seat that I’ve made some mods to (removed the original cushion, put a swivel on and added a tld style seat to it)

but I was recently out on a day out leaned over and nearly fell off. The feedback I got was I should secure the boat seat so that it doesn’t do that. As it could result in an injury or a broken rod (good feedback and valid)

but I’m not sure how I secure it. I can only use ratchets or bungie chords if there are gaps under the boats normal seats and I can’t think of any other way to do it.

Has anyone experienced this and have any advice?
For sure, it's a common problem, trying to secure a boat seat with no means to get any kind of strap under the thwart. Any kind of buoyancy tank fitted under the thwart tends to stop you...

You can get a clamp that fits to the swivel that grips the sides of the thwart...

I have a 'deep' one that works well as it gets a bite narrower than the width of the thwart...

However, there are shallow ones that barely grip the thwart and leaning sideways can result in them coming away and tipping you over. Ones like this...

However, I know a lot of guys who use nothing at all. They have simply learned not to lean sideways!

I have a similar alternative set-up and I find a base of anti-slip rubber sheet makes it nice and secure. A couple of Velcro straps are miles easier to use than ratchet straps and every bit as secure...

But of course you need a gap under the thwart to use that arrangement.

Col

kenyanscott

Cool thank you!!

Its been incredibly helpful.

I have two boat seats one of each set up you have shown.
I had never thought of putting my airflo seat across the way like the one in your thirds picture and seems like a perfectly simple way for me to lower my centre of gravity, use the swivel and have a bit more stability and not need to worry the same about straps! All this time and the simple answer was there.

Again, thank you!!

Cap'n Fishy

Cool thank you!!

Its been incredibly helpful.

I have two boat seats one of each set up you have shown.
I had never thought of putting my airflo seat across the way like the one in your thirds picture and seems like a perfectly simple way for me to lower my centre of gravity, use the swivel and have a bit more stability and not need to worry the same about straps! All this time and the simple answer was there.

Again, thank you!!
No bother - glad to help. That 'lengthways inside the boat' arrangement is my preferred set-up. As you say - lower centre of gravity, and very stable. I added anti-slip rubber under both ends of the plank.

I now have my clamp seat on my old Bob Church 'plank', so it's universal - I can use it on any boat - taking the seat and clamp off, to mount on a thwart, if needed. Also handy for packing and storage to be able to remove the seat from the plank.

You will probably want to get yourself one extra piece of inexpensive equipment...

If one end of the plank is even 2 inches higher than the other, you will be sitting at an angle and you will do your back no favours. You want both ends level. Some boats have the middle thwart higher or lower than the stern. The answer I find it to get a 'yoga block' - it's just a lightweight foam brick...

Your back will thank you. 😜

Col

speytime

I've never had any trouble with them across the gunnels but when I've got it across the seat/thawrt it tends to roll back or forward I need to mount the seat off centre of the frame to get the most stable seating position with me on it.

arkle

I used a similar type of seat mount until at the start of last season. It was made specifically for the boats at Bristol waters, Chew & Blagdon. Please bear in mind, that trout fishing from a boat, is the only way I can fish these days, as I'm no longer able to stand for any length of time, with 1 leg amputated & the remaining one has been in plaster since Sept 2013.

I fished Chew, a day or so after opening day, no problems & a decent number of fish. The following week when Blagdon opened was a VERY different story & has been compounded by the corona outbreak. The guy I was with, just happened to be an ex-lifeguard from a local swimming pool. Anyway. we were alloted our boat etc. but had trouble fitting my seat. as the thwart was narrower than all the previous boats we'd ever been given over the years. So we found a piece of batten on the bank & used that to pack out the difference. This was still not enough, so I got a 2 ton rachet strap & used rhat under the thwart to provide extra grip, so much so that the arms were starting to bend.

the boat was, like all the others, parallel to the jetty & I was at the front. We were almost touching the boat in front, so close in fact that use of the motor could have proved difficult & potentially unsafe to get us out of that space. I reached over & grabbed an oar to push us out into clear water.

Unbeknown to me, as it was not at all easyy to see at the time, but the boat in fron had drifed away from the jetty by a couple of feet. So I pushed off against it & of course the inevitable happened. The seat gave way on the thwart & I went in head first.

After a few secs. the life jacket inflated & I popped up like a cork, albeit more than a trifle damp. My frien + others draged me back onto the jetty, where the situation was assumed not to continue fishing that day.

The day after, I was contacted by the fishery manager, saying that he & of couple of guys from their H & S team, had deemed it that I would only be allowed to fish, with one of their approved guides, for 2 or 3 x before letting me aboard again with another person. The giude who lives about 4 miles away from me & happens to be a freind, was spending most of his time last season fishing & guiding all over the world & when he was here, he had so much other stuff on, it just did't happen. The other one lives local to the lakes & wouln't provide transport for 4 x 17mile trips each time. So that was last season fecked.

This year, covid came along, the fisheries were shut for quite a while & when they re-opened, a new video was produced with various additions re-social distancing etc. The main one as far as I am concerned with, despite being in at least 2 of the supposed "at risk" groups, was that I could not arrive or leave the fishery, in the same car as anyone else. So as I no longer drive... etc. in the mean time, along with all the other stuff I have happening a.t.m. I'm modifying my boat seat mounts, so that when I am able to (if ever) get out again, that will no longer be an issue.

suzuki15hp

Hi Col, Good stuff as usual, but I need to point out the bad example the guy in the boat is showing, where his life jacket crotch strap is connected, but not routed under his crotch. If he goes out with it like that, he might as well not wear it. :geek:

original cormorant

I used a similar type of seat mount until at the start of last season. It was made specifically for the boats at Bristol waters, Chew & Blagdon. Please bear in mind, that trout fishing from a boat, is the only way I can fish these days, as I'm no longer able to stand for any length of time, with 1 leg amputated & the remaining one has been in plaster since Sept 2013.

I fished Chew, a day or so after opening day, no problems & a decent number of fish. The following week when Blagdon opened was a VERY different story & has been compounded by the corona outbreak. The guy I was with, just happened to be an ex-lifeguard from a local swimming pool. Anyway. we were alloted our boat etc. but had trouble fitting my seat. as the thwart was narrower than all the previous boats we'd ever been given over the years. So we found a piece of batten on the bank & used that to pack out the difference. This was still not enough, so I got a 2 ton rachet strap & used rhat under the thwart to provide extra grip, so much so that the arms were starting to bend.

the boat was, like all the others, parallel to the jetty & I was at the front. We were almost touching the boat in front, so close in fact that use of the motor could have proved difficult & potentially unsafe to get us out of that space. I reached over & grabbed an oar to push us out into clear water.

Unbeknown to me, as it was not at all easyy to see at the time, but the boat in fron had drifed away from the jetty by a couple of feet. So I pushed off against it & of course the inevitable happened. The seat gave way on the thwart & I went in head first.

After a few secs. the life jacket inflated & I popped up like a cork, albeit more than a trifle damp. My frien + others draged me back onto the jetty, where the situation was assumed not to continue fishing that day.

The day after, I was contacted by the fishery manager, saying that he & of couple of guys from their H & S team, had deemed it that I would only be allowed to fish, with one of their approved guides, for 2 or 3 x before letting me aboard again with another person. The giude who lives about 4 miles away from me & happens to be a freind, was spending most of his time last season fishing & guiding all over the world & when he was here, he had so much other stuff on, it just did't happen. The other one lives local to the lakes & wouln't provide transport for 4 x 17mile trips each time. So that was last season fecked.

This year, covid came along, the fisheries were shut for quite a while & when they re-opened, a new video was produced with various additions re-social distancing etc. The main one as far as I am concerned with, despite being in at least 2 of the supposed "at risk" groups, was that I could not arrive or leave the fishery, in the same car as anyone else. So as I no longer drive... etc. in the mean time, along with all the other stuff I have happening a.t.m. I'm modifying my boat seat mounts, so that when I am able to (if ever) get out again, that will no longer be an issue.
Surely they have Wheelie boats at Chew and Blagdon?

Reactions: JCP

speytime

Presumably your talking across the thawrts/planks?
I thought about putting something on the front and back of the frame to widen it like a 2ft wide plank, the wider the footprint the less likely it is to rock, the only downside is I couldn't think of anything that would attach and remove conveniently?
The boats I'm in most have absolutely nothing to fix anything to there moulded fibreglass, decent enough boats but totally crap for fixing a boat seat to.

dgp

Presumably your talking across the thawrts/planks?
I thought about putting something on the front and back of the frame to widen it like a 2ft wide plank, the wider the footprint the less likely it is to rock, the only downside is I couldn't think of anything that would attach and remove conveniently?
The boats I'm in most have absolutely nothing to fix anything to there moulded fibreglass, decent enough boats but totally crap for fixing a boat seat to.
I use a marine plywood 'plank' with T (cross) pieces on each end

speytime

I use a marine plywood 'plank' with T (cross) pieces on each end
Just the thing!
I'll be copying them marine ply T,s on to my seat.
I'm OK when I'm seated but standing or sitting there's always some minor movement but annoying just the same, a couple of T should eliminate any rocking back or fourth 👍

Thanks Al

Reactions: dgp

arkle

The 12" x 1 1/4" oak boards are fixed to the inside edges of the boat, the boat I was given, had at some time had this replaced with another piece of timber, that was approx 10" & as my seat fittings were built for the standard 12" boards, that & the H & S team put me in a situation where I'd rather not be. Other than these 2 waters, there is not a lot of choice in my part of the world within easy driving distance available that offer my method of fishing

Cap'n Fishy

Hi Col, Good stuff as usual, but I need to point out the bad example the guy in the boat is showing, where his life jacket crotch strap is connected, but not routed under his crotch. If he goes out with it like that, he might as well not wear it. :geek:
I tell him and others about that when I see them so attired, but I can't enforce it on them. :)

Col

suzuki15hp

I tell him and others about that when I see them so attired, but I can't enforce it on them. :)

Col
I'm about to ditch (or modify) a fairly new SeaGo lifejacket, due to a badly designed crotch strap. It's dangerous as it is.

The strap is attached to the centre of the harness at the rear, but is plugged in well to the right side at the front. As a result, when you bend down and come up again, the strap, being slack at that point, catches under your right thigh and can pitch you forward if you're not careful.

Cap'n Fishy

I've never had any trouble with them across the gunnels but when I've got it across the seat/thawrt it tends to roll back or forward I need to mount the seat off centre of the frame to get the most stable seating position with me on it.
Across the gunwales is too high for me. It also gradually damages the gunwales of fibreglass boats.

I don't have any problems with back / front rolling with my arrangement. I fish with a few 'Val Doonicans', mind-you, and they might have issues. 😜

The big advantage of the lengthways arrangement is that you don't have a plank between your legs, restricting your movements, so you are free to swivel left and right - whether to cast to a rise or any other reason. ;) It's also dead easy to stand up and move to the stern to work the leccy motor, if it is out of reach. No constant lifting one leg over the thwart and then back again every adjustment to the drift.

Col

speytime

The boats have plastic trim around them to prevent any damage.

I'm quite tall 6ft but still on the club boats I feel my bucket seat between the thawrts is a bit to high, it needs lowered, I'm sitting back onto it rather than down onto it, that aside they do have a few benifits over the alternative.
I've looked at mounting the swivel to the bottom of the frame (any ideas welcome) I see there's a couple of mounting blocks the swivel come with that adds height, the covers on the coulum thawrts adds height, it's a work in progress it's not bad enough to have to address asap, my feet are on the gunnels most of the time where its fine but I'd benefit from it being lowered and a couple of T,s for stability.

I see you have a foam block under the end of yours that must help with stability?

Al

Cap'n Fishy

I see you have a foam block under the end of yours that must help with stability?

Al
The foam block is simply to make the arrangement level, left to right. Stability front to back has never been in issue for me. I cast so as not to 'rock the boat', so to speak... ;)

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Further input re my post #2, image 3....

My boat partner with his seat fitted with the dodgy shallow clamp...

... added ratchet straps to it...

... and it works very well. Although it does take about 5 minutes to get it all installed at the start of the day... :whistle:

Col