Bolton Abbey fishery

barden neil

Anyone any background as to what’s going on at Bolton Abbey? For the new season they’ve more than doubled the cost of membership to a whopping £720 and almost doubled the cost of day tickets to £60! . Seems a very strange move in the present climate. I think I’ll be giving it a miss for the foreseeable, it’s a good fishery but not that good.

jaybeegee

Sounds like my worst fishing nightmare.
There y’go Scotty...your watercraft needs to be up to scratch. 😁

E9CE17D4-91EB-4492-9877-2EA6326F8B56.jpeg

sean freeman

I went mid week in April a few years ago, not for fishing though, just for a walk to see what it was like. The place was rammed with walkers and middle aged day trippers, I’d hate to see it in peak summer when the kids are off.

I’d also be fuming fishing a run there only for a lab to come bounding in upstream after a stick. Do they still stock it?

D

Deleted member 90002

I went mid week in April a few years ago, not for fishing though, just for a walk to see what it was like. The place was rammed with walkers and middle aged day trippers, I’d hate to see it in peak summer when the kids are off.

I’d also be fuming fishing a run there only for a lab to come bounding in upstream after a stick. Do they still stock it?
Donegal is a great option no mental amount of people fishing and no labs chasing sticks.. And some of the rivers are freeeeeee👍👍

jaybeegee

The estate has it’s own hatchery and according to the website stocks only diploids. It used to be quite heavily stocked and the occasional big stockie turns up on our club stretch downstream especially after a summer spate. There is some really good fishing at BA though but there can be people everywhere, it’s a real dales “destination”.

B

wobbly face

Last fished there 2 years ago on a guest ticket, a mate was a season ticket holder.
We fished a stretch that was fenced of from the tourists, still had to have words with a couple of families after they climbed over, without noticing the notices and this was early season and raining.
My mate did send me a text yesterday with the new pricing. Was nearly going to join last year but season is only 9 months and probably wouldn't fish there even once a month. Then of course all the tourists. Decided it wasn't worth it and certainly not worth it now, no matter how good the scenery.

haggstock

I didn’t take my season rod at Bolton Abbey last year due to a bereavement that came as the renewal was due , and then lockdown hit . I received the email this morning detailing what’s happening . Unfortunately it’s not just the Abbey that becomes Leeds and Bradford Beach , the whole of the Wharfe can become blighted wherever there is a footpath .Try Ilkley on a sunny day , or anywhere near Burnsall . However on a positive note it has always been possible to find isolated places to fish at the Abbey particularly below Bolton bridge , and above Barden aqueduct has always been members only no day tickets , You have to bear in mind there is a full time river keeper ( who is a good bloke by the way ) and that doesn’t come free . Also the estate is planning to provide more of the anglers only nature areas . They do stock , and they stock diploid fish bred on site . The number of rods on offer is limited to 75 , and day ticket numbers will be restricted to 5 , although you could argue that the £60 day ticket will limit take up anyway . I’m going to have to think seriously if I’ll invest that much cash though not because I don’t rate the place , but because that cash could open other opportunities , I was a season rod long enough to find the quiet places and I suspect that when the world goes back to work , and the lockdown is eased on other activities then the Wharfe might quieten down again,

Last edited:

barden neil

I didn’t take my season rod at Bolton Abbey last year due to a bereavement that came as the renewal was due , and then lockdown hit . I received the email this morning detailing what’s happening . Unfortunately it’s not just the Abbey that becomes Leeds and Bradford Beach , the whole of the Wharfe can become blighted wherever there is a footpath .Try Ilkley on a sunny day , or anywhere near Burnsall . However on a positive note it has always been possible to find isolated places to fish at the Abbey particularly below Bolton bridge , and above Barden aqueduct has always been members only no day tickets , You have to bear in mind there is a full time river keeper ( who is a good bloke by the way ) and that doesn’t come free . Also the estate is planning to provide more of the anglers only nature areas . They do stock , and they stock diploid fish bred on site . The number of rods on offer is limited to 75 , and day ticket numbers will be restricted to 5 , although you could argue that the £60 day ticket will limit take up anyway . I’m going to have to think seriously if I’ll invest that much cash though not because I don’t rate the place , but because that cash could open other opportunities , I was a season rod long enough to find the quiet places and I suspect that when the world goes back to work , and the lockdown is eased on other activities then the Wharfe might quieten down again,
I agree with you totally about the quality of the fishery, there’s over 5 miles of fishing and I always managed to find quiet places to fish even on a busy day. What concerns me is that it outprices many people from one of the areas prime fishing locations and a a time when fly fishing is struggling to attract people, particularly youngsters into the sport it’s a very negative and unhelpful move. I currently belong to a fishing club who two years ago reduced their membership price to attract new blood. It has worked very successfully for them and they are now back up to maximum numbers.

Latest posts