Bone fish destination

Moorsman

I am hoping to get away some where in carabean fishing this winter ,now no more Tomas Cook and covid 19 where to go also for permit ,That is the question? Any ideas please .

benisa

problem is a lot country,s have got it big time mexico is a good place to go
I am sure a few of the regulars will be belong to give their advise
you have just got to hope wherever you book is not a 14 stay at home on return

the optimist

I was supposed to be flying out to Mexico yesterday - cancelled coz FCO advise is not to go to Mexico. Bone fishing is good (if smaller average size than Cuba) particularly Cozumel island and Tulum down to Boca Pailla for DIY fishing plus Plenty of lodges as well. However key issue is where can you fly -BA cancelled my flight to Mexico

original cormorant

Unless you booked your trip when the FDO/FCO was not advising against non-essential travel and is not advising against travel at the date of departure then most travel insurance policies will not be valid.

I suggest you spend some time looking at potential destinations on https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice. Unless you're prepared to travel without insurance you don't have a lot of choice.
Let us know if you can find any flats fishing destination where the the FDO (not FCO any more) doesn' t advise against travel.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
I am hoping to get away some where in carabean fishing this winter ,now no more Tomas Cook and covid 19 where to go also for permit ,That is the question? Any ideas please .
Have a look at Belize, flights are via either Canada or USA.
bit of web searching makes it possible around £650 return.
Fishing with guides will cost more!
Does not mean Belize is safer, means they have less reported cases.
regards
Bert

Rob Edmunds

I'm booked for Costa Rica in December, not really after the Bonefish but will target other species on the fly.

As I booked "pre covid" my insurance is valid , as long as the FDO advice allows travel ( it currently doesn't)

I also looked at Belize, the fishing potentially was very good, I just thought that it wasn't "safe" enough for my wife and I to enjoy, hence the change.

I visited Columbia and Venezuela a few years ago, good fishing but again not really safe in my opinion...

I had hoped Cuba would get direct flights soon after T.Cook... . But I'm not so sure now.......

As Cuba ( Cayo coco) is currently on the FDO list that you can visit maybe, someone will open up routes again ??. ..

Moorsman

×thanks very much for reply’s ,will have to see how the covid goes ,
Really need a trip away!

glueman

Question, if you change planes in the USA and fly to UK do you have to isolate for 14 days or is a flight change not count as flying from the states

I am biased, however Mexico is a great option. I live here and run an outfitters and guide service. We currently have a very low Covid count, almost non existent. For a DIY trip, Tulum is a good option, however Mahahual/Xcalak would prove better. Generally my advice is to book a guide for a day or two to get the lay of the land, then fish the rest of the week DIY. Conversely you could fish the week guided or unguided. I offer wade fishing trips around Mahahual/Xcalak, along with skiff trips in the bay. Always a very good chance at Permit and Bonefish, with good numbers of Tarpon in the bays. Just yesterday i was fishing with a buddy and landed 5 permit, along with the obligatory Bonefish and micro Tarpon to complete the slam. If the weather cooperates, we can expect a good variety of species and scenarios to target them.

Mexico is also currently very cheap, due to a lack of tourism. You could do a week stay, hotel, rental car, food, drinks etc and guided day fishing for well under £1000. Just a thought.

benisa

I was supposed to be flying out to Mexico yesterday - cancelled coz FCO advise is not to go to Mexico. Bone fishing is good (if smaller average size than Cuba) particularly Cozumel island and Tulum down to Boca Pailla for DIY fishing plus Plenty of lodges as well. However key issue is where can you fly -BA cancelled my flight to Mexico
My sons have been struck in Costa Rica for 6 months as no BA flights out

On the ground, Mexico is very safe right now. Covid regulations are very strict and we have next to zero cases in Quintana Roo. The Government has done a fantastic job of managing the spread. There are flights open to Cancun right now and for a good price. It may be worth reconsidering cancelling the trip if you haven't already. Just a helpful thought

benisa

B....dy hell. I'm thinking that a few days/weeks may be good but 6 months!? Hope they can get home soon.
They have BA open ticket but BA not flying there just yet

My good lady has told them better of there than here so do not think will see them till Jan/Feb

Last edited:

haddock78

No idea about the specifics of Covid restrictions but Guadeloupe is worth a look.

It's tougher bonefishing than elsewhere but they are big, but spooky and only in small numbers.

However there are permit around in the surf on the south coast back-reef flats. Again tough fishing, but I got a few shots every morning and did get my first Falcatus - small but perfectly formed and there were much larger fish around.

Think Antigua has similar conditions.

Hardrar

We usually do West Jamaica or the Dominican :- Caribbean Seaward side. But the risk of getting stuck meant aborting this years trip plus the thought of 9 hours plus either way on a plane or in the Airport is where the risk of transmission is not at the destination.
My Son had a job with the US oceanographic research on Bermuda, but couldn’t get back there last spring and they banned Brits from going due to our high infection.
I’d give it a miss until everyone is innoculated
Happy memories!

11C43CE5-5BCB-4F0F-AAE5-16AC115DAC61.jpeg

You get big Permit, Cuda, Jack and Bones within a few feet of the tide line here,
F9CB59BB-C2B5-44F8-8418-FB49F02D0D12.jpeg

This is why- beaches are crawling with them
B056EE78-9777-40E4-B9D8-B6041FE7F94A.jpeg

Last edited:

benisa

You could always do the full works and go to the Seychelles (y)
there is no problem in self isolating

Moorsman

Well it was September when I started this post ,thanks for all the ideas ,being over 70 hopefully I will get the jab by March then I really do hope to go somewhere,still cannot make my mind up where to go ? Just have to wait and see and more ideas ,thanks

Hardrar

It’s not just about the fishing to me, I’ve been where the fishing is great, the local company, food and accommodation moderate and not the best scenery.
The locals make it happen imho. The Dominicans are the craziest most fun folks I’ve been around, nobody’s ever allowed to not be smiling. I swear one Dominican skiff skipper we had was a direct descendant from Blackbeard, you got out to the flats and back pretty quick and the food and humour never stopped coming, he had 3 x 750 hp V8 Yamaha’s on the back of his skiff and knew where all the current fish action was.
I’ll never forget the experience of 80 knots plus over the Caribbean Sea under purple blue skies, in 40 deg C. He always had a great beach barbi’ arranged for lunch and Brugle and Red Stripe on tap if you wanted.
Jamaica, which I’ve been to many times, takes a bit of understanding the culture, but is more English than England now, really tidy, as littering is a serious crime, as is chewing gum and smoking in public. Simply best food and restaurant service I’ve ever had anywhere, makes most top English restaurants look average and great company. I met People from all over the planet there, even from India and Africa and some had been 70+ times, it’s not at all cheap though, but the longer you stay the better value you get,