Bone fish destination

Hardrar

2250 bhp and 90-odd mph on a skiff. Remarkable.
That was about the most frightening thing I’ve ever experienced, but got used to it after a few days, skiffs were 28 feet long with a deep Vee hull. The same charter outfit had a 40’ skiff with three 1100 Mercury stern drives in it.
They spend more time airborne than in the briny, the one we used could top 100 knots but they were limited with guests on board!
One day we went on a 129 foot catamaran yacht, the deck was huge, all day reggae n rum party, not many were fit to cast a fly after three hours of Brugle! Then three hours back to harbour.
Was an experience to say the least!

Moorsman

Hi Hardrar ,yes ,not only the fishing but an all round good time ,I like most of the Cubans but do feel they are starting to rip us off ,being a fellow North Yorkshire man like value and fun !

bonefishblues

On a 28ft skiff that is simply astonishing. Yamaha reckon their vees, which top out at 425bhp, are for 50ft+ boats. Do you know how had they extracted so much extra power from them?

Hardrar

On a 28ft skiff that is simply astonishing. Yamaha reckon their vees, which top out at 425bhp, are for 50ft+ boats. Do you know how had they extracted so much extra power from them?
They came from the factory like that, they are total petrol heads over there. They are US built supercharged V8s, huge things, I said to one guy, why don’t they just use inboards? He just smiled and said- difficult to service, take up too much room on board and no braggin rights . I also didn’t think they came that power, but they have showrooms all over selling them. Some of the bigger twin hull skiffs have four outboards on the transom. Wouldn’t like the fuel bill!
Oddly they are illegal in Jamaica and a lot of the other Island states, as are jet skis, as it’s a marine conservation area.
Dominican is a crazy place and not the safest, Don’t ever order a Bob Marley Cocktail, Top red section is Strawberry Daquiri, middle is Mango iced Liquor, lower third, bright green, is straight cut gange in mint liquor. It’s legal over there and it’s the only place I know where the bar staff can be fired for being sober on duty!

benisa

Hi Hardrar ,yes ,not only the fishing but an all round good time ,I like most of the Cubans but do feel they are starting to rip us off ,being a fellow North Yorkshire man like value and fun !
the problem with Cuba is that that Yanks will pay more Bucks than we will
last time I was there the Americans we meet where paying double the rate of us + the would pay a guy 5 us just to keep there bear cold for them

Hardrar

the problem with Cuba is that that Yanks will pay more Bucks than we will
last time I was there the Americans we meet where paying double the rate of us + the would pay a guy 5 us just to keep there bear cold for them
Some of the states don’t like the US tourists. They stand at the bar waving 10 dollar bills at the staff, who ignore them and point at the English Dutch and French at the back, as if they’re caught taking tips, it’s instant dismissal.
They mainly get well paid in Jamaica and refuse tips, they seem to like Brits and want to know about our football, the English weather, Cricket etc. It tends to be really quiet there, as it’s pricey.

bonefishblues

They came from the factory like that, they are total petrol heads over there. They are US built supercharged V8s, huge things, I said to one guy, why don’t they just use inboards? He just smiled and said- difficult to service, take up too much room on board and no braggin rights . I also didn’t think they came that power, but they have showrooms all over selling them. Some of the bigger twin hull skiffs have four outboards on the transom. Wouldn’t like the fuel bill!
Oddly they are illegal in Jamaica and a lot of the other Island states, as are jet skis, as it’s a marine conservation area.
Dominican is a crazy place and not the safest, Don’t ever order a Bob Marley Cocktail, Top red section is Strawberry Daquiri, middle is Mango iced Liquor, lower third, bright green, is straight cut gange in mint liquor. It’s legal over there and it’s the only place I know where the bar staff can be fired for being sober on duty!
They would have to be to put triple the typical recommended maximum power, weighing 1.5 tonnes on the back of a 28ft skip. A couple of off the shelf Yamaha V8 350bhps would be more like it. Did you get any photos - I'd love to see that.

Hardrar

I had some, but in my old phone so lost them. We saw them changing an outboard, with a big crane, was quite an operation, the rear transoms were all half inch thick marine stainless steel with a lot of bracing. To be honest they were more like drag boats than skiffs.

bonefishblues

I had some, but in my old phone so lost them. We saw them changing an outboard, with a big crane, was quite an operation, the rear transoms were all half inch thick marine stainless steel with a lot of bracing. To be honest they were more like drag boats than skiffs.
That's a shame, I would have liked to see a 3x overpowered 28-footer with Yamaha V8s producing such enormous power over their standard spec.

I wouldn't set foot in one though.

Hardrar

That's a shame, I would have liked to see a 3x overpowered 28-footer with Yamaha V8s producing such enormous power over their standard spec.

I wouldn't set foot in one though.
One day we had an option to sail out to one of the Cays, fish off a Sand bar all afternoon and back for Supper, in one of the fast Skiffs. The sailing portion was on an ocean going Cat’ there was a stiff breeze and I guess we made 12-15 knots took 3-1/2, hours, we had a great afternoon, skiff trip back just 40 minutes! We were black and blue
I used to mess about in boats a fair bit when younger, one of my farmer friends, who’s Wife was big into water skiing, more money than sense, bought a 10 litre Super charged V8 inboard powered Jet Boat, which at that point had the record for round Britain power boat race. It was totally impractical for water skiing and the engine needed a rebuild every year, as it didn’t run on standard fuel. It was quick, but nothing like the skiffs out of Saona.

Last edited:

Hardrar

Aye, I had visions of Donald Campbell and Bluebird when I read that post about the outboards!

Bert
My Dad actually knew the Campbell’s fairly well, never forget him in tears after watching Donald crash, I was only young, but think they used to race cars together at one point. My Mum and Dad spent more time racing boats than they did on dry land back then.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
One day we had an option to sail out to one of the Cays, fish off a Sand bar all afternoon and back for Supper, in one of the fast Skiffs. The sailing portion was on an ocean going Cat’ there was a stiff breeze and I guess we made 12-15 knots took 3-1/2, hours, we had a great afternoon, skiff trip back just 40 minutes! We were black and blue
I used to mess about in boats a fair bit when younger, one of my farmer friends, who’s Wife was big into water skiing, more money than sense, bought a 10 litre Super charged V8 inboard powered Jet Boat, which at that point had the record for round Britain power boat race. It was totally impractical for water skiing and the engine needed a rebuild every year, as it didn’t run on standard fuel. It was quick, but nothing like the skiffs out of Souna.
Do you mean Saona, as in Isla Saona?

Bert

Hardrar

Do you mean Saona, as in Isla Saona?

Bert
Yes sorry autocorrect doing it’s worst again! There’s a lot of sand bars, way offshore, but the waters shallow and the bottom is covered in eel grass in places. Bit eerie if you Wade out as you can have big rays and shoals of fish brushing past you, there’s always a guide with you though.

Hardrar

28 ft isn't a skiff in my vocabulary. Those sound like drug running boats.
Some of the distances are large and the bigger faster boats have the advantage of being able to move around quickly or away from a squall if one blows up.
Some of the islands that can be fished off, are a long way offshore and they are marine reserves, so no one can reside there permanently.

Often have great Egrets for company, which are more successful catching than the fly anglers! We have a pair of these overwinter each year, in the beck at the bottom of our property. They fight like crazy with the local Herons, always a noisy affair!
645F3F4F-06D1-4D56-98DF-1A24B53014FF.jpeg

bonefishblues

If black beak it's a Little Egret. If greeny-yellow, then a Great Egret.

...and yes, in response to OC, overpowered boats of that kind, such as one I saw at the Southern tip of Abaco one time, may indeed be for purposes other than leisure, it occurred to me, too.

petevicar

In the Florida Keys you could always tell which guides had another job just from the size of the engine on the skiff.
They did not have to travel too far though as most of the work was collecting bales thrown out of aircraft.

Hardrar

If black beak it's a Little Egret. If greeny-yellow, then a Great Egret.

...and yes, in response to OC, overpowered boats of that kind, such as one I saw at the Southern tip of Abaco one time, may indeed be for purposes other than leisure, it occurred to me, too.
73866F0D-B821-4A92-AC0B-BE8D0BC40574.jpeg

Here’s another Egret only small, maybe a Cattle Egret about to steal a flake of snapper off the barbecue!
The other pic is either an immature Great or maybe Reddish egret as it’s about 4 to five feet tall.

Last edited:

Latest posts