Bone fish destination

Hardrar

I'm going to have to do Jamiaca one day, what tackle do you use? 10foot 8wt , floating ,sinking line ?
10 foot is too long and tiring plus the leverage from the fish if you’re lucky enough to catch, too great, 8’ to 8’-6” #6-#8 +short head floating lines, some people use one piece rods for strength. The water is generally shallow.
My Wife had a weird experience one day out there, she was enjoying the Sun in the sea, laid on a foam lounger in about four feet of water, when a large Permit of 70/80 pounds maybe more, decided it would enjoy the shade under her lounger, it followed underneath her and she dare not get off, it would be 3 feet or more in length and nearly as deep. I had to go and frighten it off, but it wasn’t so keen to leave its shady spot!
You get big rays and Barracuda in fairly shallow water, under 2 feet. Pompano and Ladyfish are common catches.
This pic of my better half gives an indication of the water clarity- clearer than a swimming pool.
The twin buoy line is to protect the reef and boats and swimmers are not allowed in that area, it has gaps in places for beach launches.

E0E325AC-EDFD-4F6E-934C-A3AA67005E54.jpeg

benisa

As Thomas Cook is now back up and running + selling Holidays to Cuba, Maybe just Maybe they will get Cayo coco back on there books for all the salt water boys !

Jason 70

Hardrar,

Out of interest where in JA do you fish? We have family in Clarendon and stay in May Pen when we go over and go to Welcome beach along salt road. You seldom see anyone fishing apart from the local dreads in boats and then with nets.

Hardrar

Western tip- Negril, west end Booby Cay etc, just up the the Coast a bit from Rick’s Cafe and round towards Mobay, The resorts we go on can arrange trips and have their own sport boats, most of the fishing is for big game off the sport boats though. I think there’s a guiding outfit on the outskirts of Mobay that does charters, if you do a bit of digging. It’s not as popular in Jamaica as other islands for some reason.

petevicar

My Wife had a weird experience one day out there, she was enjoying the Sun in the sea, laid on a foam lounger in about four feet of water, when a large Permit of 70/80 pounds maybe more, decided it would enjoy the shade under her lounger, it followed underneath her and she dare not get off, it would be 3 feet or more in length and nearly as deep. I had to go and frighten it off, but it wasn’t so keen to leave its shady spot!
I hate to say this but you are rather exaggerating. The world record for a permit is 60lbs. They are also extremely shy fish and do not like people. It was probably something else maybe a shark.

Hardrar

I hate to say this but you are rather exaggerating. The world record for a permit is 60lbs. They are also extremely shy fish and do not like people. It was probably something else maybe a shark.
No it wasn’t a shark, Permit can grow big, but are more difficult to catch and land as they get bigger, I was close enough to touch it. They are known to grow to 100lbs Blue silver, yellow belly and vent, large eyes 3 foot long, two foot deep. Flattened compressed body shape. Opposite to a shark- Nothing like a shark some get tame following the stingrays in to the feeding stations- a local attraction. Wouldn’t like to say exact weight, but it was big.

Jason 70

Western tip- Negril, west end Booby Cay etc, just up the the Coast a bit from Rick’s Cafe and round towards Mobay, The resorts we go on can arrange trips and have their own sport boats, most of the fishing is for big game off the sport boats though. I think there’s a guiding outfit on the outskirts of Mobay that does charters, if you do a bit of digging. It’s not as popular in Jamaica as other islands for some reason.
Ok thanks for that it sounds interesting.

benisa

Yes it was caught on an 11wt Orvis T3 fly rod. The fish took maybe 150 yards of backing from a Tibor Gulfstream reel.

I am 6ft tall - 183 cm. That fish was from nose to tail about 150cm.
which island did you go to 7 or 10 days

squimp

Maybe he meant 35-40 kg.

Ive caught lots of GT‘s and some big ones, but none even close to that one.

original cormorant

That is some fish. For two reasons it's obvious it was a few years ago. First the kid holding the fish and second I guess that kid wouldn't hold a fish like that today.