Bonnie Captain Gordon & Torrish.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Two more flies of late a Bonnie Captain Gordon from Grimble and a Torrish from Pryce-Tannatt. The BCG is a simple straightforward little pattern which are my favourite kinds of flies to tie rather than the more fussier ones. I always think it's what you leave out rather than put in and most isn't necessary but I think it was just a symptom of many tiers back in the day putting their own trademark to an already decent pattern. Saying that depending on the locations/rivers being fished and seasonal/weather fluctuations many patterns were slightly adapted to suit. Both tied at size 2/0 on slightly modified Mustad hooks.

Tag - oval silver tinsel.
Tail - GP topping, Barred Woodduck and yellow Goose.
Body - two turns yellow Seal's fur the rest claret Seal's fur.
Ribs - oval silver tinsel.
Throat - blue cock hackle under Guinea Fowl (Gallina).
Wings - GP tippets, Bustard, GP tail, Goose dyed red, yellow, white and blue.
Sides - Jungle Cock.
Head - black wool.

Tag - oval silver tinsel and yellow floss.
Tail - GP topping and GP tippets.
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - Oval silver tinsel in two halves butted by Ostrich herl with Indian Crow (substitute) veilings on rear section.
Ribs - oval silver tinsel over front section only.
Hackle - yellow cock hackle over front section.
Throat - orange cock hackle.
Wings - White Tip Turkey tail, Bustard, Florican Bustard, GP tail, Goose dyed red, yellow and orange, married strips of Teal and Barred Woodduck, Bronze Mallard and GP topping over.
Cheeks - Jungle Cock and Indian Crow (substitute).
Horns - blue and yellow Macaw.

Thanks for looking.

cheers

mark

Last edited:

baca157

Back of form Mark. That Torrish looks particularly “tasty”.

What feather did you use as IC sub?

Cheers,
Sebastian

wingman

In a word...epic. (y)
Thanks taffy1 I try my best.:D

Back of form Mark. That Torrish looks particularly “tasty”.

What feather did you use as IC sub?

Cheers,
Sebastian
Thanks Sebastian yes I'm always off form. :LOL:I think the sub was some of the last lot I got from Ryan Houston a few year back now and he put a lot of feathers in for nothing that he considered were not up to the mark but I would disagree and all for a very good price. He stopped doing them for a while as someone nicked a load of pheasant skins from his shed and it put him off. He did eventually start to do them again and think the last batch he did he sold on ebay in much smaller amounts than what I got off him and his prices seemed to have gone up. It is a messy drawn out affair though to get the right look to the feathers with the bleaching and various dyeing processes so I can understand. Not sure if he's done or is doing anymore though as haven't seen any on ebay lately.

baca157

Thanks taffy1 I try my best.:D

Thanks Sebastian yes I'm always off form. :LOL:I think the sub was some of the last lot I got from Ryan Houston a few year back now and he put a lot of feathers in for nothing that he considered were not up to the mark but I would disagree and all for a very good price. He stopped doing them for a while as someone nicked a load of pheasant skins from his shed and it put him off. He did eventually start to do them again and think the last batch he did he sold on ebay in much smaller amounts than what I got off him and his prices seemed to have gone up. It is a messy drawn out affair though to get the right look to the feathers with the bleaching and various dyeing processes so I can understand. Not sure if he's done or is doing anymore though as haven't seen any on ebay lately.
Fruedian slip on my part 😂

I got some of those subs from Ryan earlier this year. Really nice. I only bought one pack and now wish I got more....

Cheers,
Sebastian

wingman

Fruedian slip on my part 😂

I got some of those subs from Ryan earlier this year. Really nice. I only bought one pack and now wish I got more....

Cheers,
Sebastian
You'll know exactly what I mean then. ;) I think anyone with good dyeing skills and a few Pheasant necks who can come up with a pretty good IC sub could make quite a bit of money as there's a big market for them. The only other decent ones I've seen were John McLain's of FeathersMC in the US, he's got a way with dyeing feathers and not bad for a retired New York detective but they were a bit pricy for me.

tj hooker

Lovely flys Mark I’d quite like having a go at the Torrish a cracking looking fly although my last try at white tipped turkey underwing didn’t go well I couldn’t get the over wing to sit right Over it some perseverance needed I’m like you both almost out of IC subs I did what Sebastian did and only got one pack off Ryan I’ll have to drop him a message.

wingman

Lovely flys Mark I’d quite like having a go at the Torrish a cracking looking fly although my last try at white tipped turkey underwing didn’t go well I couldn’t get the over wing to sit right Over it some perseverance needed I’m like you both almost out of IC subs I did what Sebastian did and only got one pack off Ryan I’ll have to drop him a message.
Thanks Grahame a bit of double vision at the moment as was coming back from getting the shopping with my mother and my dad's automatic lost power and stopped as we were coming down the slip road onto the motorway only for me to see a skip truck in the mirror coming up fast behind and ploughed right into the back of us. We both have bad whiplash and bad heads but thank god we're both still here and lucky to be alive but the car is a right off as the back is completely demolished. I just usually tie the WTT in the main wing these days (i.e. married to the bottom) as it's awful stuff to work withand I find it more secure to be honest and I'vwe seen older flies tied that way to. Hope you have a go at it anyway. ;)

tj hooker

Aww Mark that’s terrible I’ll hope and pray you and your mum make a speedy recovery something similar happened my wife and her mum sitting at traffic lights and a delivery lorry ploughed into the back of them Guy was on his phone even after a number of years she is still nervous sitting at lights all the best Mark it takes a while to get over something like that especially for your Mum .

wingman

Aww Mark that’s terrible I’ll hope and pray you and your mum make a speedy recovery something similar happened my wife and her mum sitting at traffic lights and a delivery lorry ploughed into the back of them Guy was on his phone even after a number of years she is still nervous sitting at lights all the best Mark it takes a while to get over something like that especially for your Mum .
Thanks for the well wishes Grahame these things happen unfortunately and sorry to hear it happened to your wife and her mam and I can truly sympathise as it's very harrowing at the time. We're feeling slightly sore today but touchwood we'll get through it ok. ;)

arkle

Sorry to hear about both of you & passengers getting smashed like that & hope the recovery goes well for everyone involved.

wingman

Just read about your accident Mark! Hope you are all ok.
Thanks Sebastian yes we're ok luckily and the head is a lot less fuzzier so you'll still have to put up with my flies on here.:(:D Mind you I've got a right head ache now from trying to sort all the insurance stuff out and looking for another car preferably a one made from anti tank material. :)

baca157

Thanks Sebastian yes we're ok luckily and the head is a lot less fuzzier so you'll still have to put up with my flies on here.:(:D Mind you I've got a right head ache now from trying to sort all the insurance stuff out and looking for another car preferably a one made from anti tank material. :)
Glad to hear that you’re getting better Mark. Don’t envy dealing with insurance/new car but health is main the thing.

Cheers,
sebastian