Booby cylinder cutters

11foot5

Eventually got round to fishing / tying boobies. What's the best set of foam cylinder cutters out there and where's the best place to buy them?!! Thanks gents.

11foot5

Just found Upavon.......I’m getting old!! Don’t know why I didn’t find it earlier.....

Cap'n Fishy

Just wondering why you want to go to the bother of cutting your own, when they are available, pre-cut, in myriad colours and diameters?

Col

11foot5

I already have a few blocks of foam.....given to me. Also, the blocks seem to be a more dense robust material. In my limited experience the pre cut cylinders you buy are very buoyant but get destroyed by the trouts teeth very quickly.....as I say, it’s just the initial impression of an inexperienced booby user!!!

jeffhirst

Wapsi foam blocks are very robust and are excellent for foam daddies also. I use old telescopic aerial for cutters.

48fisher

I bought an old car aerial, took it apart in to the different diameters. Cut them to a sensible length, put an edge on them with a file and they work fine. Cost £5 and a few minutes time.

wrongfoot

^^^ these.

I use radio aerial sections too with a filed edge, spin as you push into a foam block and it cuts beautifully. A bit of coathanger wire helps poke out the tube.

11foot5

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. Car aerials seem popular! The pound shop stuff is a good idea Jim, you’re very resourceful guys!

wrongfoot

Cut away the bottom of the largest section (hacksaw/grinder) and you can usually push each thinner section back through.