Book recommendations

beetlebum

I'm just wondering if anybody can recommend any writers in the same vein as John Gierach, Tom McGuane etc.? I really enjoy both of these writers and have mostly exhausted their books now so looking for new reads. I do like the travel aspect of their books as much as the fishing if I'm honest. Any help as always is much appreciated.

beetlebum

Roderick Haig- Brown......bit older but very readable

Also Loved river by H R Jukes ,,,,

O M W
Thanks so much for this. I've just looked into Loved River and couldn't believe what the book is about. I have been fishing up that way a lot this year and as coincidence would have it I fished Scar House for the first time ever on the last day of the season. The only problem seems to be finding a copy. Thanks again.

Overmiwadrers

Thanks so much for this. I've just looked into Loved River and couldn't believe what the book is about. I have been fishing up that way a lot this year and as coincidence would have it I fished Scar House for the first time ever on the last day of the season. The only problem seems to be finding a copy. Thanks again.
You need to get onto ABE books. you will find lots on there .... I have a signed copy... very precious . It is one of my favourite books....

O M W

thetrouttickler

Derek Grzelewski's 3 books might be worth a go. It matters not that they are set in NZ, his anecdotal style is the most similar to Gierach I could think of off the top of my head. Trout Diaries (2011) is the first.

Last edited:

PaulD

A couple that may appeal are; 'The River Why', a novel by David James Duncan and 'Fly-Fishin' Fool' by James R. Babb - The adventures, misadventures and outright idiocies of a compulsive angler.

beetlebum

A couple that may appeal are; 'The River Why', a novel by David James Duncan and 'Fly-Fishin' Fool' by James R. Babb - The adventures, misadventures and outright idiocies of a compulsive angler.
The River Why is my favourite book, I've read it many times (along with the Brothers K). I'll check out Fly Fishing Fool too. Thanks.

Pete T

Trade Member
In a similar vein, you might like to consider:
Whitefish Can't Jump and/or Dream Fish and Road Trips by E Donall Thomas
Knee Deep in Montana's Trout Stream by John Holt
Confessions of a Fly Fishing Addict by Nick Lyons

I also recently recorded a podcast with Gareth Lewis where we talk about some of our favourite fishing books. If you're interested just click HERE

Last edited:

beetlebum

I also recently recorded a podcast with Gareth Lewis where we talk about some of our favourite fishing books. If you're interested just click HERE
Cheers Pete, I've recently subscribed to the podcast and I'm working my way through, I'll check out that episode.

Jason 70

I listened to that Pete and bought Terminal Chancer after it was mentioned. Not many angling books start off with a suicide scene and a prawn head. I've not laughed at a book as I did for a long time.

Pete T

Trade Member
beetlebum, many thanks for signing up and I hope you enjoy the book podcast along with the others. They've been fun to do and there are plenty more in the pipeline.

Jason70, I really enjoyed Terminal Chancer along with Hooked on Hope, the follow up. They are both laugh out loud books and come at things from a unique angle!

skinner

A book you should read is ‘the hess as long stream’
Laurence Catlow .
deep in places but true life and you’ll identify what he has to say.