Book recommendations

JoeOh

Books that I keep going back to are Trout and Salmon Rivers of Ireland, and Trout and Salmon Loughs of Ireland, Peter O'Reilly, RIP. Also A Man may Fish, T.C. Kingsmill Moore, Fishing in Wild Places, David Street (1989) and The Evening Rise, H.M. Bateman (1960).

Jason 70

Rather than start a new thread, I've nearly finished Hooked on Hope and rather than reread some of my Gierach books on the train into work, I fancy a punt on Seasons of a Fisherman by RHB, worth the £50.00 odd quid second hand? I'm guessing some of you have read it.

JayP

Rather than start a new thread, I've nearly finished Hooked on Hope and rather than reread some of my Gierach books on the train into work, I fancy a punt on Seasons of a Fisherman by RHB, worth the £50.00 odd quid second hand? I'm guessing some of you have read it.
I enjoyed them with Fisherman's Winter my favourite of the four, if you want to dip your toe in so to speak they're available as individual seasons

Jason 70

I enjoyed them with Fisherman's Winter my favourite of the four, if you want to dip your toe in so to speak they're available as individual seasons

Silly question but would you say it's written in an over flowery twee style? I enjoyed The Longest Silence by TM, Yates descriptive books etc. But could not get on recently with A Summer On The Test by J W Hills, for me personally it was like pulling teeth. Sorry to put you on the spot.:)

JayP

Silly question but would you say it's written in an over flowery twee style? I enjoyed The Longest Silence by TM, Yates descriptive books etc. But could not get on recently with A Summer On The Test by J W Hills, for me personally it was like pulling teeth. Sorry to put you on the spot.:)
I can't compare the two as I haven't read the book you mention but I'd say RHB and his writings are one of a great observer and nature lover, so the book or books are very descriptive and he paints a great picture with words. Flowery tweed style, not really more old school adventurer with a fishing rod for company

GEK79

Books that I keep going back to are Trout and Salmon Rivers of Ireland, and Trout and Salmon Loughs of Ireland, Peter O'Reilly, RIP. Also A Man may Fish, T.C. Kingsmill Moore, Fishing in Wild Places, David Street (1989) and The Evening Rise, H.M. Bateman (1960).
Any Donegal Loughs and rivers mentioned in the books JoeOh..

Jason 70

I can't compare the two as I haven't read the book you mention but I'd say RHB and his writings are one of a great observer and nature lover, so the book or books are very descriptive and he paints a great picture with words. Flowery tweed style, not really more old school adventurer with a fishing rod for company

Thanks for that, I'll try one of the books before committing to the volume of four in one.

thetrouttickler

And that great numpty Secret Angler sought to paint all anglers with the same brush - some silliness about anglers not being bright enough to read! Well blow me down.

JayP

I'm just wondering if anybody can recommend any writers in the same vein as John Gierach, Tom McGuane etc.? I really enjoy both of these writers and have mostly exhausted their books now so looking for new reads. I do like the travel aspect of their books as much as the fishing if I'm honest. Any help as always is much appreciated.
Thought of another book you may enjoy, Chasing Rumour by Cameron Chambers

JoeOh

Any Donegal Loughs and rivers mentioned in the books JoeOh..
Hi Gary, plenty.
Trout & Salmon Loughs of Ireland, Northern Fisheries Region: 104 waters mentioned, majority in Donegal
Trout and Salmon Rivers of Ireland, Northern Fisheries Region: 48 rivers mentioned.
Though dating from 1991, much of the information is still relevant and these are two must-have books for anyone fishing The Fair Isle.
I believe that a similar treatise of Scottish angling was written by Bruce Sandison (spelling ?) around the same time but I have not read that publication

GEK79

Hi Gary, plenty.
Trout & Salmon Loughs of Ireland, Northern Fisheries Region: 104 waters mentioned, majority in Donegal
Trout and Salmon Rivers of Ireland, Northern Fisheries Region: 48 rivers mentioned.
Though dating from 1991, much of the information is still relevant and these are two must-have books for anyone fishing The Fair Isle.
I believe that a similar treatise of Scottish angling was written by Bruce Sandison (spelling ?) around the same time but I have not read that publication
Thank you I'll have a look I should be in ballyshannon soon and I know there is plenty of fishing to be done there. Thank you

Latest posts