Boot dubbing

noel

Just curious do any of you fine people use this as opposed to thread wax ?

noel

I sometimes wonder if we are all on the same planet , 3 replies and not 1 on topic of fly tying .

wobbly face

Basically Noel, no. If you want a tacky wax then use tacky wax.
As for dubbing leather boots, was once told that grit sticks to it which in turn scratches the leather, cuts get deeper then boots leak. Can't say I noticed any cutting when using on leather boots I had. I always wore the soles out. :)

Cam

I very rarely use any wax when applying dubbing, I isually manage to roll it enough to not need any. Is there a specific benefit to using the wax?

Vermontdrifter

I use wax for touch dubbing on very small hooks 20 and below and if I am using the slicker nano threads will wax before tying in a hair wing to avoid slippage. Never use it otherwise.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
I've never gotten on with the sticky waxes for dubbing. I've always used either Veniards prepared wax (which I think is excellent), some home made cobblers (which is a loverly dark olive colour) or a piece of commercial cobblers wax (which I find too dark) however your post got me thinking. I recently re-waxed my jacket and have some left in my tin of thornproof dressing, I gave it a quick try tonight and it works really well; tackler than the Veniards but doesn't feel like a glue stick, I may try and give it a serious try out.

Incidentally quite a few people use glue sticks instead of sticky wax, you could also try that.

Steve

Latest posts