Fly Fishing Forum banner

Botanics yesterday...

866 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Cap'n Fishy 
#1 ·
Went looking for the kingfishers - apparently at least 2 just now. Some days they come close, other days they don't. Yesterday was a don't for me. One brief appearance in the distance. Meanwhile, the robins are that tame they are sitting at your elbow, watching you. To get a shot of one, I had to move further away from it to get focus!

Troglodytes troglodytes, living up to its name...

A heron, looking properly grumpy...

As near as I got to the main attraction...

Col

See less See more
#2 ·
Was back having another look for kingfishers today, but they were even more elusive. Got a tip to go after heavy rain. Apparently they only come to the ponds in the Botanics when the Water of Leith is too high for them. Well, it was raining at the pheasant shooting on Saturday, and apparently the Botanics were bursting at the seams with kingfishers on Sunday. Everyone and their mum was getting loads of good shots. Must give that a try.

However, not a wasted trip, as I had my best ever interaction with a robin. I remembered to take some food with me this time. Held my hand out with the food in it, and a robin not only landed on my finger to take the food, but after it had it, it just sat there... for about 2 minutes! :oops: He must have been warming his wee feet on my finger! ? "Oh, this is rerr and toasty."

If only I had a GoPro strapped to my head, I could have filmed it. ?

Another interesting thing when they are right there, inches from you, is all the wee noises they make. They chunter away to themselves quite a bit.

#4 ·
I ran into a couple of pheasants up Arthur's Seat, Dec 2020, when going to photograph the otters on Dunsapie Loch. They obs were refugees from a shoot somewhere (all goosed due to covid travel restrictions at the time) and, having been hand-reared, they were tame as anything. I had some bird food with me and I tried them with taking it from my hand... Yep - no bother. Just impossible to get a photo of yourself hand-feeding a bird when you have a 140-560 mm lens on the camera, though! ?

Can you just back-off a bit, mate!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.