Brackish water sea trout

bobmiddlepoint

The size of the rod caught numbers for 2020, this season, might tell us more.
Sure has been a reported increase in numbers in some areas, but the overall catch records at end of season are the marker.
regards
Bert
Not in my neck of the woods. Most of the spring lost to lockdown and most of the summer lost to drought (still ongoing, many rivers still off the gauges at the wrong end!). There is a stack of fish but the rod catch will be below half of normal.

Andy

codyarrow

Not in my neck of the woods. Most of the spring lost to lockdown and most of the summer lost to drought (still ongoing, many rivers still off the gauges at the wrong end!). There is a stack of fish but the rod catch will be below half of normal.

Andy
That's pretty much it. Not cast a line on the river during August. Some of the feeder burns will be dry in a week or two. Information about how good a yearly run is can be found in the fry and parr numbers if the rivers surveyed.

Laxdale

So if rod catches hold up, or indeed increase, with less angling having gone on, what would be the conclusion?
regards
Bert
People from different areas talk to each other. That is, people that spend their working lives on rivers. There is very little, if any, doom and gloom regarding fish stocks this year. Getting the scaly hoors to take after the first week of August has been a challenge, even on rivers with water in them, as opposed to the rivers with just stones where water used to be. Do not get fixated by rod catches.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
People from different areas talk to each other. That is, people that spend their working lives on rivers. There is very little, if any, doom and gloom regarding fish stocks this year. Getting the scaly hoors to take after the first week of August has been a challenge, even on rivers with water in them, as opposed to the rivers with just stones where water used to be. Do not get fixated by rod catches.
I dont, and am not.
Some others, especially those setting the gradings are, however!
And I do talk to people involved in salmon fishing from other areas.
Hence my observation regarding overall catches this year, irrespective of the number of rod days fished.
Could be quite an interesting statistic.
Fish counters could also tell a story, for instance, end of August 2020, 2300 counted through Pitlochry dam?
Regards
Bert

sewinbasher

I dont, and am not.
Some others, especially those setting the gradings are, however!
And I do talk to people involved in salmon fishing from other areas.
Hence my observation regarding overall catches this year, irrespective of the number of rod days fished.
Could be quite an interesting statistic.
Fish counters could also tell a story, for instance, end of August 2020, 2300 counted through Pitlochry dam?
Regards
Bert
Anecdotally numbers through the Chester trap on the Welsh Dee are the best for a number of years.