Braid for spinning

noel

Hi all , I am considering getting myself a spinning set up , rod and reel are chosen but which braid to use in 10lb ?

G

guest37226

Noel

I am a PowerPro braid user have been for many years no problems. There are a lot of newer braids on the market like Spiderwire with all sorts of different coatings. But being no expert i stick to what i like and know.
That is probably no help at all to you sorry

John

davefish

Same as above, PowerPro. I use it for Bass fishing (plugs) and it is always reliable. As alexj says lots of choice these days but you won't go wrong with PowerPro.

Chris

speytime

If you're using anything that spins you'll need a swivel and a anti kink vane, even the best bb swivels will transfer spin into your line so a anti kink vane is necessary.
You can buy them but there quite large and not ideal if you're using small spinners.
_20190111_220251.jpg
This works well but is better with a split shot on it, the split shot stops it twisting in or out of the water.

Al
_20190111_220251.jpg

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

Hi all , I am considering getting myself a spinning set up , rod and reel are chosen but which braid to use in 10lb ?

Berkley Fireline for me but any of the others mentioned will be fine.
One question though, why go as low as 10lb in braid? It is so fine and flexible that you can up the BS considerably unless you are using really really lightweight lures. I used to use 20lb Fireline with No.2 or No.3 Mepps and 7cm Rapalas.
Re twist and swivels. Because braid is flexible I have always found it much less prone to taking a twist and getting tangled than nylon so I found I never needed more than a BB swivel. However not everyone will have the same experience so I wouldn't knock the idea of an anti kink vane if you find problems with twist.

Last edited:

smallclanger

Hi mate

Im a fan of Sufix Performance Pro, fine diameter, good strength and decent price. Its equal with some of the higher end japanese braids Ive used

iainmortimer

Hi mate

Im a fan of Sufix Performance Pro, fine diameter, good strength and decent price. Its equal with some of the higher end japanese braids Ive used

I'll second that. I used to use expensive braids like Sunline and WX8 for my bass fishing before I came across Suffix braids.

For distance and less wind effect using a fine braid go for the Sufix Pro-8, for harder wearing but thicker braid go for the 832. Its so thin in both though that unless you specifically want a very fine braid for tiny lure work, consider going up in diameter as it helps recovery of snagged lures with little downside! I use Pe 1.0 even with 3.5g lures.

Note that if you've not used it before do not fully fill your spool as you would for nylon but stop 2mm or so below the lip to avoid wind knots. Its also advisable to get into the habit of closing the bail arm manually and pulling a few inches of braid off the spool after each cast which also helps. That's sounds a faff but after a short while it just becomes habit. I wouldn't ever use nylon as a first choice for lure fishing these days.

Last edited:

noel

Thank you Iain , I asked about mono on FB but got no replies ; what bs would you recommend 10lb 15lb or above ?

iainmortimer

Thank you Iain , I asked about mono on FB but got no replies ; what bs would you recommend 10lb 15lb or above ?

Generally I’d suggest 16lb which in 8 strand braid is about PE 1. As well as light lures it’s my go to all the way up to 30 to 40g lures for bass.

Personally 10lb is the lightest I’d ever go for very light (as in 1g and under weights) simply because anything lower is like using sewing cotton which isn’t a strength issue, it just blows around to much and is harder to handle!

Last edited:

iainmortimer

You’re very welcome Noel. A couple of other thoughts...

1. because braid is ‘slippier’ than nylon don’t try and use a blood or tucked blood knot. A grinner is one of the best to use, or a double grinner for adding a leader.

2. Using a leader is the second point. If you ever get a tangle round the lure having a nylon type leader is very beneficial for braid being so supple can be a real pain to unwind from hooks! It also gives better abrasion resistance. In fairly snagless areas 12-18” is fine or longer if fishing amongst the branches or rocks.

If you want a leader so long that it constantly runs through the tip ring then learn to tie the FG knot. It’s brilliant for leader attachment.

Skeletor

I once lost a good fish due to power pro unexpectedly snapping. It was the cheaper power pro but I still expected more for what I paid. It's over hyped in my opinion.

corto maltese

I've just binned all my braid and ordered mono ready for the winter, I'm fed up with all the kinks and knots you get with braid when spinning or using lures.

rockslider

I've just binned all my braid and ordered mono ready for the winter, I'm fed up with all the kinks and knots you get with braid when spinning or using lures.
[/QUOTE
Read Iains post above Corto, you must be setting it up wrong? Do you use a leader? i use the reverse albright to attach and i have to say the only kinks i would get is with mono with something like a flying c. with a lure it is very hard to kink or knot braid if setup is correct. Also on the coast where i fish mono would be a disaster trying to cast into the wind!

speytime

I've done my share of spinning with braid, 5/11cm rapalas to #0/2 spinners cast upstream.
I find braid worth it's weight in gold for casting light balsa lures and size 0s to 2 spinners, I've never had any trouble with braid?

If you're using nylon it worth tying an anti kink vane post #7, I've done plenty of testing with swivels, up to 4 inline and there's still line spin, a small nylon loop and a decent swivel stops it dead!
Nylon in particular is or was bad for spinning up, the 1st clue is having to unwrap nylon from around your top eye, that'll escalate into the nylon jumping of the spool.
Use a vane or watch for the signs and unspin it before the tangle occurs 😭

Al

iainmortimer

A good tip to help avoid kinks when spinning is after each session tie on a coarse fishing bomb type lead weight, cast it out and wind it back and a lot of the kinks will come out as it allows the line to untwist. Works a treat with braid and nylon although I've never had to do so when using braid which I use for all my spinning but then I tend to use plugs rather than mepps or other spinning lures.

beetlebum

I have an ultralight setup for perch fishing and use Daiwa J braid in 9lb b.s and can't fault it. I gave it a whirl due to it's diameter (roughly equivalent to 1.5lb mono!) but I've also found it really user friendly, I also have faith in the breaking strain too having caught pike up to double figures on it.