Braid for spinning

PaulD

It is a mistake when moving from mono to braid to be guided by using the same breaking strain, it's better to go for the same diameter and enjoy the benefits of the greater breaking strain and lack of tangles. There are some things to remember: don't over fill your reel, with its limpness braid will spill off the spool if too full and generate tangles, if you become snagged using braid and need to pull to break, wrap the braid around a well sleeved arm, turn your back and pull, Attach braid to swivels / vanes etc with a Grinner knot.

pentlandflyman

Surprised nobody has mentioned Daiwa J Braid, i use it and all my friends use it, the stuff is fantastic! don't waste money and buy bulk spools to fill a reel, back your reels up with mono and top off with 100 - 150m of braid, i only ever buy 100m spools and have never needed the full amount out yet.

As mentioned already go for dia over b/s because 6lb braid is like fishing with 12/0 tying thread, watch out for wear on the line as well, braid doesn't like snags or anything rough so frays quite easily and knots are a pain so make sure you find a knot that holds and give them a good pull. I always use a good ball bearing swivel with a fluorocarbon leader and use a swivel snap to attach my spinners/lures and i haven't had any trouble with twist. You feel everything through braid as it has zero stretch and i find it far far superior to mono for spinning.

There are that many braids on the market now and as long as you avoid the ebay bargain brands you will be ok.

speytime

I've commented about J braid 👍 it might be another post I thought it was this one, anyway I've used J braid and power pro I prefer J braid but either would do fine.

There's another who's name escapes me, Fire line maybe?
It's actually flat ribbon like rather than a round profile.

Al

beetlebum

I mentioned J braid too, it's the x8 that I use. I don't know the difference between that and x4 but I do have a lot of experience with Power Pro and much prefer the j braid.

pentlandflyman

Thanks
So Henry's conclusion is 8 feels and casts better, but 4 is possibly more abrasion resistant.
Which would you choose for blind splicing?
If you mean a blind splice like you do with fly line backing to form a loop i honestly don't think that's possible with braid fishing line as I am sure it's bonded, even if it wasn't bonded you would need seriously good eyesight, ultra steady hands and the patience of a Saint to even attempt it unless you were doing it a high dia b/s braid. The 80lb stuff I used for heavy lure fishing for pike was the equivalent of 20lb mono and was bonded. Don't know why you would want to splice it though ?

original cormorant

If you mean a blind splice like you do with fly line backing to form a loop i honestly don't think that's possible with braid fishing line as I am sure it's bonded, even if it wasn't bonded you would need seriously good eyesight, ultra steady hands and the patience of a Saint to even attempt it unless you were doing it a high dia b/s braid. The 80lb stuff I used for heavy lure fishing for pike was the equivalent of 20lb mono and was bonded. Don't know why you would want to splice it though ?
I wouldn't but there's a thread on the N American forum with a guy wanting to do blind splices. I can't imagine being able to do a blind splice with the 58lb J8 that I have.

Skeletor

I've just binned all my braid and ordered mono ready for the winter, I'm fed up with all the kinks and knots you get with braid when spinning or using lures.
Really? For me it's the opposite. I very rarely use spinners on a mono mainline because of the way line twist causes it to jump off the reel and tangle. Braid doesn't do this and can be a lot more twisted before it causes problems. It does depend on the braid to an extent though. I find that brand new braid gets wind knots due to twist more often than braid that has been used a fair bit.

Currently I have 4lb Ultragreen on my ultralight and 50lb 8 strand Caperlan dyneema from Decathlon on my main Daiwa Ninja 3000 that I use for everything besides small streams. Prior to putting that on I'd spent £20 on Power Pro, which snapped causing me to lose something big. Could've been a barbel considering I caught one there a few weeks later. Maybe the top of line Power Pro is great but there's better line than the basic Power Pro available for less money. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tx-8-grey-130-m-id_8353485.html

Last edited:

speytime

Really? For me it's the opposite. I very rarely use spinners on a mono mainline because of the way line twist causes it to jump off the reel and tangle. Braid doesn't do this and can be a lot more twisted before it causes problems. It does depend on the braid to an extent though. I find that brand new braid gets wind knots due to twist more often than braid that has been used a fair bit.
I'm on the same page as you regarding line spinning I've commented on previously, anyway if you look at post #7 set up with a double barrel swivel and loop it eliminates line spin completely, it's only a mono loop tied to back of the swivel and onto the line but it's 99% effective.
Eta... Another benifit of it is that you see it breaking the surface and it stops you winding the swivel into the eye, I've ruined a top eye with the swivel hitting it 😢

Al

Last edited:

Skeletor

I'm on the same page as you regarding line spinning I've commented on previously, anyway if you look at post #7 set up with a double barrel swivel and loop it eliminates line spin completely, it's only a mono loop tied to back of the swivel and onto the line but it's 99% effective.
Eta... Another benifit of it is that you see it breaking the surface and it stops you winding the swivel into the eye, I've ruined a top eye with the swivel hitting it 😢

Al
I've never seen that loop technique before. I'll give it a try next time I'm out with my ultra light.

shortcircuit

I used to do a lot of lure fishing for bass before I got addicted to fly fishing.
Power Pro is great for fishing from a boat- great bite detection and really strong- but it is very stiff (as braid goes) and doesn't cast that well.

It is worth it going up into an 8 strand braid: they cast fantastic. Now you can pay whatever you like for top end 8 strand braids- you can check the Henry Gilbey blog for the latest must have from Japan. However, like the others here, I have found the Daiwa J Braid great. It is less than €20 a spool and I was casting bass lures absolute miles with it.

Just be careful with knots. If you are fishing a short leader, and the knot doesn't need to go through the guides, the improved Albright or the Yucatan knot are easy to tie and very strong.

If you are fishing a really long leader and need the knot to go through the guides, the FG knot is brilliant because it is so slim and insanely strong. Tied correctly, you will bend out hooks or swivels before this knot fails. However it is a pain to tie and really needs to be tied indoors before you ever go fishing.

Rhithrogena

I use power Pro on one reel and diawa J braid on another I personally prefer the J braid due to its rounder profile.
Plus one for J Braid. The very cheap Daoud 8-strand from ebay has been fine too actually........