Braid for trotting

pikeflyman

Many years ago I got some braid from the USA, I can't remember the name, but it was excellent for trotting. Grey colour, about 10lb BS and it floated. I now need to load another reel but looking at the variety of braids now on offer I don't know where to start.
Any help would be appreciated as to which make to aim for but it must float and be subdued colour.
Cheers.

kingf000

I use Berkley X9 braid, low viz green at 0.14mm. It has 9 strands so is much smoother than the cheaper 4 stranded. Always worried about thinner braid wearing the rings too much. You can get it for £14.99 from Harrissportsmail though you'll have to pay postage unless you spend £30.

kingf000

Many thanks, I always overlook Harris Sport. Looking at reviews 8 strands is always held as the best against 4. Does it float?
Yes, it does float. It is made from high density polyethylene which has a density of 0.97g/cm2 (water 1.0) compared with nylon at 1.15g/cm2

Mrtrout

Many years ago I got some braid from the USA, I can't remember the name, but it was excellent for trotting. Grey colour, about 10lb BS and it floated. I now need to load another reel but looking at the variety of braids now on offer I don't know where to start.
Any help would be appreciated as to which make to aim for but it must float and be subdued colour.
Cheers.

Im pretty sure it was Berkeley Fireline, I had some, grey and floats.
S.

dave b

With the advances in low diameter lines I have no idea why anybody would contemplate using braid for float fishing. A line like Tubertini Gorilla Float Fish in 0.16 dia will give ultimate presentation and has more than enough strength when used with a 0.14 or 0.12 hook length to subdue any Grayling you are likely to hook. For chub step up to 0.18 with a 0.14 or 0.16 hook length. There are so many good low dia copolymers available for float fishing I wouldn't even contemplate braid unless it was for cutting weed, which it's quite effective at.

beetlebum

With the advances in low diameter lines I have no idea why anybody would contemplate using braid for float fishing. A line like Tubertini Gorilla Float Fish in 0.16 dia will give ultimate presentation and has more than enough strength when used with a 0.14 or 0.12 hook length to subdue any Grayling you are likely to hook. For chub step up to 0.18 with a 0.14 or 0.16 hook length. There are so many good low dia copolymers available for float fishing I wouldn't even contemplate braid unless it was for cutting weed, which it's quite effective at.
I use braid for trotting because of it's inherent lack of stretch, not just for it's low diameter to strength ratio. That and the fact that it it peels off the drum perfectly. I did use Drennan float fish in the past and found that a good option, I just much prefer braid.

Last edited:

JohnH

I use braid for trotting because of it's inherent lack of stretch, not just for it's low diameter to strength ratio. That and the fact that it it peels off the drum perfectly. I did use Drennan float fish in the past and found that a good option, I just much prefer braid.
Seems to be horses for courses, B. There was quite a thing about braid for float work earlier in the 2010s, so I thought I'd give it a go for chalkstream long trotting. Didn't get on with it at all. I hated the way it rattled through the rod rings, and I find a little stretch in the system is a help not a hindrance, specially when a big fish comes along. I find I don't float fish at more than about 30 yards' distance anyway. Drennan float fish as you mention continues to do all I could ask as a main line for all my bait fishing.