Breathable waders, my arse.

Mrtrout

My last pair of Vision Koskis sprung a leak about a month ago, no problem Norris’s changed them.
Today after a day on the Swale both my legs were wet through, these replacements are 34 days old and probably been worn ten times max, I look after my waders, they are hung up to dry in the garage after every trip, never ever do I leave them rolled up wet in the boot of the car, I take extreme care to avoid thistles and brambles, you couldn’t find a more careful owner.
After all these years of owning various brands, Orvis, Guideline, Vision, Wychwood, etc I’m convinced they are all expensive time bombs just waiting to fail.
Im off to Norris’s in the morning to see what they can do but quite honestly I’ve reached the point where I think from now on I’m just going to use my Snowbee thigh waders, five years old made from reinforced nylon material with boots attached.
You don’t really sweat in thigh waders and they are so easy compared to chest waders and separate boots which also fail long before they should. Ok I can’t deep Wade but is deep wading really so important?
Perhaps I’m just in a bad mood because they failed so quickly but I really am getting fed up to the back teeth of buying these expensive pieces of crap. Please don’t advise me to spend even more on Simms, I absolutely refuse to pay such silly money for a name tag, I have a couple of friends who have had serious problems with Simms waders, and for upwards of £800 I’d expect them to be bullet proof but they aren’t.
Im 71 now and it’s perhaps time I stopped deep wading anymore before I drown myself anyway, I don’t salmon fish now just trout and grayling and my feelings are that rugged thigh waders will cover my needs going forward.
End of rant.
S.

wobbly face

I'm with you on the Koskis Steven. Not overly impressed with my pair. Had them awhile before first use. First use all good, second use a month or so later and right foot wet through. Looked okay when I checked them, next use and same again, soggy right foot. Did a water fill test and water sieved through the neoprene at the seam and tape didn't look finished properly. Applied some Black Witch to seam and tape, then smothered area in seam sealer. Glad to say no further problems on last few outings but time will tell. Won't be wearing them much longer now we approach winter, will be a heavier duty pair. The best I've had so far have been Patagonia Rio Gallegos (sealed a few small punctures after abuse with brambles and such) followed by Hodgman Aesis (my winter pair with the inner).

Elwyman

I'm lucky to get 2 years out of my Vision waders nowadays, and the second year usually involves fixing leaks and getting damp.
A friend decided to try cheaper waist waders in pvc...they do sweat he says. I've seen breathable waist waders for £100....buy them from a local dealer and get them replaced during the guarantee period if necessary, then replace, ie treat them as disposable items.

shortcircuit

I'm in the same boat my man. Expensive waders cheap waders, doesn't seem to matter the breathables are a disaster for me.

This year I bit the bullet and got a pair of Vass PVC waders. Studded boots and all. I think they were €70.

Now I can clamber down thorny banks through ditches you name it and I'm not worried about leaks. Plus I'm ready to fish in half the time because they are so fast to put on.

They are not just as comfortable on a hot day as breathables but it's a damn sight more comfortable than being wet!

Mrtrout

I'm in the same boat my man. Expensive waders cheap waders, doesn't seem to matter the breathables are a disaster for me.

This year I bit the bullet and got a pair of Vass PVC waders. Studded boots and all. I think they were €70.

Now I can clamber down thorny banks through ditches you name it and I'm not worried about leaks. Plus I'm ready to fish in half the time because they are so fast to put on.

They are not just as comfortable on a hot day as breathables but it's a damn sight more comfortable than being wet!
My mate has the Vass thigh waders, he likes them they look very rugged.
S.

Mrtrout

I'm with you on the Koskis Steven. Not overly impressed with my pair. Had them awhile before first use. First use all good, second use a month or so later and right foot wet through. Looked okay when I checked them, next use and same again, soggy right foot. Did a water fill test and water sieved through the neoprene at the seam and tape didn't look finished properly. Applied some Black Witch to seam and tape, then smothered area in seam sealer. Glad to say no further problems on last few outings but time will tell. Won't be wearing them much longer now we approach winter, will be a heavier duty pair. The best I've had so far have been Patagonia Rio Gallegos (sealed a few small punctures after abuse with brambles and such) followed by Hodgman Aesis (my winter pair with the inner).
They have very large neoprene boots as well, mine are mediums and I have a size 9 foot, but there’s so much spare neoprene it’s daft.
It literally crumples up in my boots which is uncomfortable for me.
S.

taffy1

After many disappointments with breathable chest waders, I decided to invest in a pair of Scierra Dry-Line chest waders, Taslan construction & closely resemble breathables, they aren't but damn near bullet proof. 5 years old & still going strong without need of any repair. However, I think they've been discontinued. Probably because they don't perish?

Jason 70

28 trips in with my Koskis, bone dry. Hang them up to dry in the spare room. Fold away after a couple of days and put in the draw. Guess I'm lucky?

Vass, chesties. The ones the Carp guys wear with the yellow braces on top, shite, shite ,shite for wading up to my waste as I do. Leaked after four trips. But after a dozen I may have wet waded. These are used for bank only, as I did last Saturday. Sweated like hell.

taffy1

After many disappointments with breathable chest waders, I decided to invest in a pair of Scierra Dry-Line chest waders, Taslan construction & closely resemble breathables, they aren't but damn near bullet proof. 5 years old & still going strong without need of any repair. However, I think they've been discontinued. Probably because they don't perish?
Coming in at about £79 they are about the 10th of the price of top-end Simms.

Mrtrout

I bought a pair of those taffy several years ago, and they looked fantastic.
But unfortunately for me they were massive in size, I got medium and they were like XLs, they didn’t do small so I accepted a refund, my friends however have lasted him well, bit hot in summer but no leaks.
S.

Rhithrogena

[A wader thread, is it the closed season already? 🤣]

Sorry to hear of your poor experience @Mrtrout :
It's really funny how people's experiences differ with waders isn't it? Maybe your crumpled socks have worn quickly and leaked??
Just to add my hapeth I am in my first season ever with breathables, also Koskis, supplied by the well-known vendor who seam seals new waders, and offers his own guarantee. He took careful measurements and supplied a pair which fit perfectly too. I am 6'3" and slim. The socks are a little on the big side but I use thick socks and size 12 boots for my size 9-10 feetI have used them on rocky rivers and hiked into remote areas of moorland lakes through thick scrub and spent all day waist deep many times.
I was hugely sceptical, but have remained dry as a bone, and have just bunged them in the boot where they have lived all season. I know they WILL fail, but so far so good.

Sorry for such a smug post, but my experience has been very different from what you and others have described above.

Rich

nymphist

After many years leaking around a dozen breathables mainly Scierra , Snowbee or JMC, i found a cheap Chinese stuff with boots made for a local brand that didint leak for more than 2 seasons in a row. Bought another pair recently just in case, not much breathable but didn't leak so far! The only problem is they have more inclined for slippery boots on rocks with algae ,so i am much more careful on such terrain but no bad falls so far.

ejw

I have 2 pairs of breathables 2 pairs of neoprene and one pair of heavy duty PVC (that I use for work parties) guess which one doesn't leak ? To be fair the breathables are both 5+ seasons old (the Orvis ones have been repaired once) both have slight leaks on one leg, that I cannot find. The neoprene one is 7+ seasons old and used mainly for float tubing, the other is a spare and unused. The PVC is fine 5+ seasons of hard work on working parties, no issues, do use the when fishing as long as it is not too hot. Have no intension of buying anymore breathables, as they are just too unreliable and far too expensive as throw a ways. Just don't get me started on boots, not had a pair last more than one season ! Now use cheap canvas trainers (on my 3rd season !).

beetlebum

[A wader thread, is it the closed season already? 🤣]

Sorry to hear of your poor experience @Mrtrout :
It's really funny how people's experiences differ with waders isn't it? Maybe your crumpled socks have worn quickly and leaked??
Just to add my hapeth I am in my first season ever with breathables, also Koskis, supplied by the well-known vendor who seam seals new waders, and offers his own guarantee. He took careful measurements and supplied a pair which fit perfectly too. I am 6'3" and slim. The socks are a little on the big side but I use thick socks and size 12 boots for my size 9-10 feetI have used them on rocky rivers and hiked into remote areas of moorland lakes through thick scrub and spent all day waist deep many times.
I was hugely sceptical, but have remained dry as a bone, and have just bunged them in the boot where they have lived all season. I know they WILL fail, but so far so good.

Sorry for such a smug post, but my experience has been very different from what you and others have described above.

Rich
Me too. I'm a similar build and have clown feet too so the koskis in an XL were about the only ones that fit me properly. Only used a few times so far but no leaks as of yet.

Tangled

I got lucky with waders, I bought a pair of lightweight Greys breathables to travel with for £60 and have used them for 3 years, though not that hard. I regard them as disposable and bought a second set jic. If you do a lot of walking I think you need breathables.

I also have a pair of £30 Decathlon PVC waders for work parties and for fishing in ridiculous places - they're great, you feel invincible.

smallmouth

I've never tried breathables, as all I ever seem to read about them is high prices and leaks.

I've got a pair of Vass pvc waist waders for the river, they haven't leaked yet and I don't get sweaty as the river is shaded by woodland throughout and always cold. I wouldn't often be hampered if I just wore thigh waders, except it's very useful to be able to sit down, crouch, or kneel in the river, to get a low profile without a wet arse. My problem these days, is getting back up again!

My criticism is the elasticated waist isn't all that tight, (even on my substantial real ale gut), so I constantly seem to be hitching them up. To be sure, I wouldn't want to walk a long distance in them either.

I'm equally pleased with Vass thigh waders bought at the start of this season, they look bomb proof, haven't leaked and the reservoir is usually cold.

arkle

Interesting thread, though as a non-wading person I have just one observation, or rather a name I've not so far seen mentioned & that's "Diver-Dave". He must come across all of these issues & more every day, so maybe worth contacting f.f.i.

bbamboo

Spent more money than I care to mention on waders.
Your lucky if you get more than a season out of a pair,if you fish a few times a week. All rubbish buy the cheapest pair that fits and replace often.

Overmiwadrers

Interesting ,,,, Personally its Orvis all the way for me , Tried Simms ( expensive but no better) , vision and the worst of all Arflo. but Orvis really beat them all Warranty is great and they always seem to last. Three or four seasons minimum, I write date inside them when I purchase them . My son has been using a pair of mine this season that I had as a spare set bought six years ago . Sealed by diver dave 2 years ago and still fine . I have two other pairs as well one is a size fuller for winter use. So the three pairs have been in constant use for up to six years . I fish around 40 times a year on streams that have their fair share of brambles etc. Now I dont know how that compares with others use but it seems pretty decent to me.
For work parties and extreme winter I have some Ocean PVC chesties absolutely bombproof
Boots wise I have several pairs on the go. I ususally buy whats cheap and on offer at the end of the season gave up paying a lot after buying simms and having them fall to bits after one season.

O M W

Paul_B

I have a pair of Dunlop thigh safety waders after getting fed up of farting about trying to make breathable waterproof.
We can only wade knee deep officially and I don't want or need to paddle any deeper, so thigh waders are perfect and these are very well made. In very cold weather I wear a pair of fleece leggings over my jeans.

Latest posts