Breathable Waders

knoonan

He repaired my Visions about a year back, they were still leaking upon return, repaired them again (at his own cost). But they leaked again within a few outings. To be fair, he said from the outset that they had delaminated and were unlikely to hold.

rabmax

In a dark room shine a torch round the inside of your Waders, works for me 👍
I have an air pump.I tie cord round the pumps hose & inflate with air.Then rub fairy with water all over the waders.They normally show up as a mass of tiny bubbles.The torch works for seams.But shows up the fixed holes & none fixed holes.You don't know what's fixed or knot.I was in pound land the other day with the wife.I picked up a tube of fantastic elastic.Tried a little over an already fixed hole on my waders.Just to see what it's like.Look's just the same as Aquasure.

heathenwoods

I'm reconciled to the fact that my breathables will get leaks: I fish in places that might mean I'm getting too close to thorns, barbed wire, and I also have those, 'Aah, that's where my fly is, in me fecking waders,' moments. This winter I spent a few days fixing up my four knackered pairs of breathables. I was feeling tight and didn't want to shell out for 'pro' repairs or a new pair. I used this:
1622422254271.png
And an old card to spread it (plastic shop loyalty card - credit card style). I basically smeared it over any leak points on the inside and let it dry on the clothesline. When I say 'over' I mean all over. Still on my first repaired pair with no leaks. It is ugly but it's all inside the waders so it doesn't really matter. Total outlay: under a fiver.

eddleston123

What I have difficulty getting my head around is buying a new pair of waders then sending them to DD and paying so he can put them into a condition that they should have been in the first place!

Douglas

Last edited:

Rhithrogena

What I have difficulty getting my head around is buying a new pair of waders then sending them to DD and paying so he can put them into a condition that they should have been in the first place!

Douglas
You buy them FROM him new and already seam-sealed and with his lersonal warranty Douglas, at a price that is very competitive (cheaper than most).
He asks for precise measurements of your body, inside-leg, shoe, and chest and from experience suggests which size will fit best. I am tall and slim, but with smaller feet than many my height and DD sold me a pair of waders that fit perfectly, first time.
Rich

Tangled

I'm reconciled to the fact that my breathables will get leaks: I fish in places that might mean I'm getting too close to thorns, barbed wire, and I also have those, 'Aah, that's where my fly is, in me fecking waders,' moments. This winter I spent a few days fixing up my four knackered pairs of breathables. I was feeling tight and didn't want to shell out for 'pro' repairs or a new pair. I used this:
View attachment 39759And an old card to spread it (plastic shop loyalty card - credit card style). I basically smeared it over any leak points on the inside and let it dry on the clothesline. When I say 'over' I mean all over. Still on my first repaired pair with no leaks. It is ugly but it's all inside the waders so it doesn't really matter. Total outlay: under a fiver.

Suggest you do what I do when I fish places like that - buy £40 PVC jobbies from Decathlon. Virtually indestructible but if you do manage to punch a hole in them, fix it with a puncture repair kit.

bonefishblues

View attachment 39759And an old card to spread it (plastic shop loyalty card - credit card style). I basically smeared it over any leak points on the inside and let it dry on the clothesline. When I say 'over' I mean all over. Still on my first repaired pair with no leaks. It is ugly but it's all inside the waders so it doesn't really matter. Total outlay: under a fiver.
You made your breathables into non-breathables, yes? :ROFLMAO:

Being serious, the company/individual that patents some sort of self-sealing capability will make a billionty-six pounds. I've said it before, but as an interested but uninvolved outsider, this category of products really isn't fit for purpose.

knoonan

You made your breathables into non-breathables, yes? :ROFLMAO:

Being serious, the company/individual that patents some sort of self-sealing capability will make a billionty-six pounds. I've said it before, but as an interested but uninvolved outsider, this category of products really isn't fit for purpose.
... yes, but what would happen to forum activity then?

knoonan

Suggest you do what I do when I fish places like that - buy £40 PVC jobbies from Decathlon. Virtually indestructible but if you do manage to punch a hole in them, fix it with a puncture repair kit.
If you typically tend to fish for just a few hours at a time, then I think this is the way to go.... my nylon hip waders going strong since 2013, and perfect for an evening on a small river.

Andrew Moray

Long time no fish, long time no post ...

I have a pair of William Joseph waders, bought from Fishwest, arrived approx £100 inc customs, discounted as they had oversized bootees.
Had them over 8 years, probably nearer 10, and had the DD treatment once before, on their way today after finding out they leaked at the weekend.
Well worth the investment to prolong them, I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat if they were still available.

Hardrar

I have some Visions in their 16th season, they get used a lot and it’s a 4 mile hike to the top of our beat on one Beck so 8 mile hike, they are stained and scruffy as hell, the elastic in the shoulder straps is shot but they unbelievably don’t leak a bit still!

Latest posts