Brenig.

Mr Notherone

No idea. Fisheries run as businesses (classed as outdoor sports facilities) were able to re-open in Wales from Saturday 13th March. Travel restriction in Wales are now also lifted, although not currently cross-border for non-essential travel. Perhaps ring them and find out?

Elwyman

This is what they say on Twitter, but I'm sure they could open if they really wanted to.

As a land owner we are classified as an ‘outdoor visitor attraction’ and can't permit fishing activities on our land until we’re out of Tier 4. We're keen to resume but we have to wait until we’re allowed - hopefully at the next Welsh Government review cycle on 22nd April .

glas y dorlan

Cafe is opening this week and the lake has had some stocking already by all accounts.
I’m having doubts about Welsh Water even wanting anglers around their waters anymore. Look at Llandegfedd and Llys y Frân.
There seems to be more and more emphasis on water sports as opposed to angling. Same is happening on Brenig with Watersports bay being used for activities more and more.
Hearing on the grapevine that a manager at Brenig who wasn’t very popular has gone so maybe we will see a bit more positive push on the fishing side.

1walker1

they made a mess of it last year and it looks as if this year will be the same.
maybe that is why regulars are taking season tickets out on traws,

Last edited:

The Barbless Crook.

Clwyedog is open, I know they are Severn Trent, likewise Lake Vyrnwy they open on the 12th April. If welsh water are classed as land owners this must apply to S/T.

T.B.C.

glas y dorlan

Brenig due to open tomorrow. (26th May). Pre season stocking of 8,000 by all accounts. Cafe is open but only for takeaway ( not sure if breakfast is on the take away menu). Lodge is open for sales.

The Barbless Crook.

Hi Ian,
Just arrived back. The bad news first, got beaten by the weather. I've fished Brenig since it opened and today is the first day we finished mid afternoon because the cold fronts that came thru. At mid day I had two fleeces and a lined wading jacket on and was frozen. Now the good news, plenty of fish all over and not to far down. We tried various wets with no luck so went on to the lures. Had a lot of gentle pulls as if they were nipping the tails or just mouthing. Three of us fished and between us ended up with 9 fish to 3.5lbs. Cats whisker, green,black nomads and ailens worked for us but I think anything with a bit of colour would catch. Three of the fish netted came on the drop the rest pulled slow to med. In total we managed to fish for about 3hrs. Thursday's weather is predicted to be better so you should have a good day.

T.B.C.

ian1104

Hi Ian,
Just arrived back. The bad news first, got beaten by the weather. I've fished Brenig since it opened and today is the first day we finished mid afternoon because the cold fronts that came thru. At mid day I had two fleeces and a lined wading jacket on and was frozen. Now the good news, plenty of fish all over and not to far down. We tried various wets with no luck so went on to the lures. Had a lot of gentle pulls as if they were nipping the tails or just mouthing. Three of us fished and between us ended up with 9 fish to 3.5lbs. Cats whisker, green,black nomads and ailens worked for us but I think anything with a bit of colour would catch. Three of the fish netted came on the drop the rest pulled slow to med. In total we managed to fish for about 3hrs. Thursday's weather is predicted to be better so you should have a good day.

T.B.C.
Glad you got to land some fish, but shame you had to finish early! Many thanks for the update.... Hopefully its slightly warmer on Thursday 👍

glas y dorlan

Glad you got to land some fish, but shame you had to finish early! Many thanks for the update.... Hopefully its slightly warmer on Thursday 👍
Rumour has it that there was a good number of fish in “Maggot Alley”, in Sailing club bay a few days ago. I don’t have any other info on method/flies sorry.

ian1104

Thank you sir! I've never heard of 'maggot alley' on Brenig - I do know where sailing club bay is though...

The Barbless Crook.

Maggot Alley is the bank from the sunken road in sailing club bay to the far corner. Ian. It's a bit like the M54 drift or Duck island, it's a local thing.

T.B.C.

ian1104

Thanks for the advice! We had a great day with 20 fish to the boat... Mainly avoided sailing club as most boats were there... Hit liads of fish at Hafod Lom as well as tower bay. Fish were around 2ft down

glas y dorlan

Shame that Brenig was targeted last night with the mindless destruction of the Osprey nest at the lake.
Finger of suspicion on social media is being pointed at the angling fraternity. Fingers crossed the despicable pieces of excrement are caught and dealt with severely.