Brenig.

BobP

If it was anglers responsible because they didn't like the idea of ospreys eating "their" fish -the ones they are too incompetent to catch - they need to have a closer look at what the osprey is eating in one of the photos posted up. It is a decent sized pike. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! I wonder what bright idea the d*ickheads will come up with next.

Elwyman

If it was anglers responsible because they didn't like the idea of ospreys eating "their" fish -the ones they are too incompetent to catch - they need to have a closer look at what the osprey is eating in one of the photos posted up. It is a decent sized pike. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! I wonder what bright idea the d*ickheads will come up with next.
I've seen another photo of a grayling being eaten, presumably from the nearby river Dee.
The fact that it was publicised on Facebook, the day before the incident, that there was an egg in the nest, may be relevant.

BobP

I've seen another photo of a grayling being eaten, presumably from the nearby river Dee.
The fact that it was publicised on Facebook, the day before the incident, that there was an egg in the nest, may be relevant.
I would think highly relevant and of considerable interest to egg collectors. Maybe the cutting down of the nest was done to hide the fact that the egg had been stolen.

The next pole supporting the nest needs to be liberally studded with 6" nails all the way up and thoroughly camouflaged. Then we look for someone who has had half his face carved off when the chain on his saw hit a well buried nail.

Stick a photo of THAT on Facebook.

ian1104

Horrible news about the Osprey nest.

I may be wrong, but I just can't see this being an angler envious of the Osprey eating 'their' fish..... Brenig has such a high stock of trout, an Osprey taking the odd trout would make no difference to the quality of the fishing. Fishermen being blamed on Facebook, but in my opinion this is very narrow minded. Every fisher I know loves seeing the Ospreys at Brenig.

Far more likely to be an egg collector, or just a vandal with nothing better to do!

The Barbless Crook.

All the years I've fished Brenig I have never seen them catch a fish, I have however seen them bring fish from the Alwen over the road on several occasions. Two seasons ago one dropped to have a look at a trout I was playing. As far as who did it I don't think it will be anglers, more likly to be political.

T.B.C.

Elwyman

My money is on the chav type fcukwits who would see this as a “ bit of a laugh”. And, as such, being immature, word will soon leak out and court beckons.

Might be a coincidence, but there's been a recent outbreak of catalytic converter thefts in the area.....just the sort of opportunist thieving scumbags who would see the egg as an opportunity to make a quick profit.

The Barbless Crook.

Elwyman, Do you think a egg would survive a fall like that and still be in one piece, plus the fact the birds would be on the nest or on the platform, they would be very reluctant to fly in the dark.

T.B.C.

Elwyman

Elwyman, Do you think a egg would survive a fall like that and still be in one piece, plus the fact the birds would be on the nest or on the platform, they would be very reluctant to fly in the dark.

T.B.C.

I doubt if the egg would survive the fall, but I have heard of trees being felled before to steal rare eggs.

The Barbless Crook.

Our gang of three went to Brenig yesterday, ended up with ten plus each. However we did speak to one of the rangers, who told us that they still do not know who felled the Osprey nest, but the following night somebody erected a new nest platform and they don't know who.

T.B.C.

Elwyman

Yes Brenig seems to be fishing well now. I was catching on an intermediate and a Montana tadpole on Tuesday, then I finished off with a beauty on a floater and Diawl Bach before a thunderstorm hit. A pal went up the day after and did well on DBs on a floater.

glas y dorlan

The “osprey-gate” saga at Brenig gets more weird by the week. Apparently the nest with the dummy egg was the focus of attention off the local seagull population who tried their best to eat the dummy egg.
The original pole was indeed resurrected in the night by persons unknown but, the powers to be have now purchased a cherry picker which will be erected and a nest placed on the platform.
Just hope the pair are still in the area and like the new modern abode.

The Barbless Crook.

My friends used floating lines with tadpoles,hairs ears and D/Bs, I on the other hand used slow glass 4ft leader and boobies, caught one changed booby. Reminded me of the time I used to fish comps and the league. The Ospreys were not to be seen yesterday, but there were lots of people at the RSPB caravan having a look for them.

T.B.C.

snow white

My son and myself fished Brenig on opening day we both bagged up then catch and release fished on following Saturday had three nice fish fished it again on the 7 may had two fish then fished again on 11 may I bagged open and my son had 3 fish the wind was terrible it poured down I feel over with nice fish in the net but didn’t loose it then we had a thunderstorm then hail stones as big as golf balls all in the same day but very enjoyable .

The Barbless Crook.

Snow White,
That's the Brenig we all love. Chance of catching a few nice trout also getting a sun tan,frost bite or battered to death with rain or hail stones, all in the same day. Roll on the next time.

T.B.C.

snow white

Fished it again yesterday Sunday 16 may I had a fantastic day netted 9 fish returned 3 lost 4 more and got snapped of on nice fish play it in.the wind was blowing south the with out warning changed to the north then it started raining or should I say monsoon it was horrendous I fished in it for about 2 hours by then my arms where felling like lead lost another nice fish so enough was enough packed in still pouring down but what a nice day.
A bad days fishing is still better than a day at work thank the xxxx I have retired.
As Terry Tomas used to say tight lines.

The Barbless Crook.

Well the gang of three fished Brenig a week Tues ended the day with 5 all, they came to pulling tatics. We went thursday and what a day, started at the Girder all of us fishing buzzers,after 1hr we had 5 each so replaced the top two droppers to nympths and we just could not stop catching.Stopped for lunch and we all had well into double figures. Decided to change point with wets. Bil stuck on a Dunkeld a fly he had not used for years, six casts and six fish later all to the Dunkeld, we put some thing with a yellow tale on the point and they just kept coming.Around 2pm the wind changed so we moved to the Ring of Stones, after talking to some anglers fishing the Stones they had fished all day for just the odd fish. Ouick cup of tea and we started, 30 mins we had landed 3 fish each at this point the Bil stuck a orange fritz on just for a bit of piece and the other two called it a day while the bil fished on for another 30 mins for yet another 3 fish. Ended the day with Bil 30,other two 25 each. All came to buzzers,nympths of all colurs and anything with a yellow tail. A real red letter day.

T.B.C.

snow white

Hope you put them all back haha.
nice to hear from somebody else I fished it Thursday lost my personal best fish at the net was I pig sick got to have been 6lb I had six fish up 4lb earlier on in the day landed.a nice 4lb fish of the top on a size 16 hook that was after loosing the big one on a size 10 cats whisker.

Elwyman

Yes certain parts of the lake are fishing really well at the moment. My tactic is to keep moving until I find the fish. It's almost too easy when you find a shoal of fish.
Diawl Bachs are working well.

Latest posts