Brenig.

snow white

Only joking mate I am not a big fan of them our eldest lad loves them so i keep some for him and the keeper of shoot likes them.
hope weather is ok this week I will be there again but you can believe the forecasts I screen shot three different forecasts for Thursday all said wind from from easy to south east when we was there it was blowing south west then with out warning straight round from the north.
we are not going to take any notice of forecast in future

The Barbless Crook.

The gang fished Brenig yesterday. Tackled up at the girder but too many fishing there so we moved to Sailing club bay. Sat on the bench fo a while to see if anything was moving, a few topping so we started by the osprey hut. I had three commorants two black and a dawsons olive on the point. Twenty minutes later not a pull. Moved to the sunken road at the start of maggot alley, couple of casts and I had a really good pull and a fish jumped out of the water and lo and behold 15 ft further another fish jumped. This was going to be fun,after a 5min white nuckle fight I beached two good trout of 3lb each. The rest of the gang came and we carried on fishing down maggot alley were we all took a few fish. After a break we continued to fish and a few small black sedges started to hatch and the fish started to rise every where. Off went the commorants and on went the dries and the most frustrating three hours was about to start. The fish tried every thing to eat what we had on but failed to lock on. A move was on the cards so off we went to the Ring of Stones. To say it was windy was a understatment, but we decided to give it a g, so back on went the commorants About twenty yards out was a wind lane and the fish were feeding in it, after 30mins we called it a day with two fish each. Ended the day with 8 fish each. The fish this week were really fit and fought well.

T.B.C.

mebu

Fished Brenig today for the first time.

Went up to the top end, could not find fish (perfect conditions, warm, gentle wind, high cloud). Later ended up on the far bank opposite the lodge, found fish very close in, within yards of the bank. Only 2-3 casts before had to move boat. Unfortunately had to depart early afternoon otherwise would have had more than the 3 fish.

Good fit fish, enjoyed the day.

Peter

The Barbless Crook.

Only two went up to Brenig Tuesday as I'm having to isolate because my grand daughter's school has covid. They started at the Girder and as they approached they could see fish moving. Six apeice by break time all to dries. Moved to maggot alley but the wind was to strong, so a move to Tower Bay looked to be the best as the wind was coming over the dam. No luck on the dries, so bil stuck a black fritz on. First cast just letting it sink and all goes tight, few casts later same again, then nothing. Moved to inlet in corner with muddlers and again had a couple on the bank. Thats how it was for the rest of the day. Ended the day with ten each.

T.B.C.

mebu

TBC yes I know, what I meant was that I was in a boat, fishing onto the downwind shore, so as soon as I got close in I had to haul in the drogue and move the boat or be grounded.

Wish I'd had an anchor.

Peter

snow white

I was at Brenig one day fishing of the bank in tower bay when this boat came right into my swim i was casting past him I shouted do you want to borrow my Tackel as you might as well how close you are he asked me what I meant I told him he should be 40 yards away from fisher men he just didn’t realise the thick plank.

Vintage Badger

I was at Brenig one day fishing of the bank in tower bay when this boat came right into my swim i was casting past him I shouted do you want to borrow my Tackel as you might as well how close you are he asked me what I meant I told him he should be 40 yards away from fisher men he just didn’t realise the thick plank.
Unfortunately, common sense seems to be a lot less common than it used to be, to the extent that I believe it may be on the way to becoming an endangered species!

Elwyman

Only two went up to Brenig Tuesday as I'm having to isolate because my grand daughter's school has covid. They started at the Girder and as they approached they could see fish moving. Six apeice by break time all to dries. Moved to maggot alley but the wind was to strong, so a move to Tower Bay looked to be the best as the wind was coming over the dam. No luck on the dries, so bil stuck a black fritz on. First cast just letting it sink and all goes tight, few casts later same again, then nothing. Moved to inlet in corner with muddlers and again had a couple on the bank. Thats how it was for the rest of the day. Ended the day with ten each.

T.B.C.
When you say the Girder are you talking about the drawdown tower near the dam?

I had a short session on Thursday. Fished Hafod Lom and Nant Glyn in morning, very quiet, nothing rising, hooked and lost one fish.
Moved to Brenig Arm for an hour, there were a few fish rising and a caught two on Diawl Bachs.

snow white

I like to know where the girder is I was thinking it that one that sticks up couple feet by the boats where it’s marshe ground just past restaurane.

The Barbless Crook.

The girder is the other side of the visitor centre Elwyman. Park at the five bar gate on the carpark to sailing club, then walk down field.
That's the girder snow white.
The fish tend to get some cover from the boats and travel from pontoon down to girder and back.

T.B.C.

mebu

Yes I think it's blaady bad manners when a boat gets too close to a bankfisher. I have been on the receiving end and so always give a clear distance if in a boat.
An old pal used to say that 50 yards is 2 good casts or as far as you can throw a 4" rock from the bank.

Peter

The Barbless Crook.

I remember a few years ago a boat came close to me while I was fishing,told him to move out a bit.
His reply was you can't cast this far. Wrong, next cast a gold beaded cats whisker took his hat off. Soon moved out.

T.B.C.

Elwyman

Interesting day on Brenig yesterday. A stiff NW breeze made fishing on the Nantglyn side quite tricky. Hardly saw a fish rise all day but I beat my PB from Brenig with fish of 4lb and 5lb on a black lure off an intermediate line. Fish were in superb condition, from a recent stocking I believe.
Conditions were ideal for the sailing boats.
20210714_124435.jpg

The Barbless Crook.

Well done Elwyman. We where up there to. Tackled up by the Girder nobody fishing it so we gave it ago. Lost a fish first cast then a few casts later had a big fish on, took 120ft fly line and about 30yds of backing,went straight through the two sets of unused boats and out the other side,think it was heading for the cages, I managed to turn it but it snapped me off on the anchor rope of the mored boats Ended the day with 9 in the net but lost well in to double figures. My two mates ended with at least 20 each and lost a lot. They wanted it, on or in the surface, static in the morning figure of eight mid day and back to static late afternoon.

T.B.C.

Elwyman

Well done Elwyman. We where up there to. Tackled up by the Girder nobody fishing it so we gave it ago. Lost a fish first cast then a few casts later had a big fish on, took 120ft fly line and about 30yds of backing,went straight through the two sets of unused boats and out the other side,think it was heading for the cages, I managed to turn it but it snapped me off on the anchor rope of the mored boats Ended the day with 9 in the net but lost well in to double figures. My two mates ended with at least 20 each and lost a lot. They wanted it, on or in the surface, static in the morning figure of eight mid day and back to static late afternoon.

T.B.C.
I was obviously on the wrong bank!😂

Latest posts