Brenig.

The Barbless Crook.

Had the weekly trip to Brenig last week with the gang. We started at the Girder as usual, after talking to Paul and the rangers they told us daddies was the way to go. Tackled up with daddie on the point and a Keiron Jenkins commorant on the dropper. the other two with single daddie. Second cast fish on to k/j cormie,turned out to be smallest fish this season so far. After 1hour no further interest so we decided to move to Tower bay. Got to T/B and it was full of fishermen so stopped at the Green bank instead. The wind had picked up so there was good swell on, kept with the daddies. Cast out and let them drift around on the wind. After the fist hour we had 1 each when I then moved to the quarry. After a while I was watching a airoplane when I had one strong pull,the daddie had drifted into the bank and the fish were mopping them up close in. In the next hr had 4 fish all 3-4 lbs. After lunch the wind had picked up and it became hard to cast so we called a day. Ended with 6 and the other two 4each.

T.B.C.

The Barbless Crook.

This weeks trip to Brenig started with it looking like a millpond just a small ripple down the middle. Decided to go straight to Tower Bay for a change. Arrived at T/B to be confronted with wall to wall fishermen. So once again it was a Green Bank start, all started with the daddies and after the first hr Kev had 2 and the bil and I had risen a few but none had stuck. The bil moved into the quarry to the place I fished last week. We carried on and continued to rise fish,hook fish and play fish and loose the lot. When we decided to have coffee the bil had rose a few and had lost 3 after playing to the net. After coffee we had a nice ripple about 25/30 yds out and flat calm to the bank, fish were moving in the ripple but a few had started to move in the calm feeding on something that was blowing off the bank. We saw red flying ants and some thing that we had never seen before.It was a pale greeny/ blue that looked triangler in shape and flew. little black flies were also hatching out of the water. The other two carried on with daddies in the ripple while I started with the small stuff. Tried a small f fly to start, rose a few but nothing stuck, shuttle cocks the same, in the end I found 2 size 16 black snatchers I tied to see if i could still tye smallish flies. First cast had a rise and finally got a fish into the net, over the next 10 mins rose fish after fish with one more to the net.with so much action the fly was wrecked so on went the second. First cast had a real rise and every thing tightend and some thing gave way and it wasn't the fish. We fished on untill 8pm and it went quiet ended the day with 4,3,2 fish. Today I have never seen so many fish feeding and moving from close to the bank to 100yds,we saw 20/30 sand martins feeding at all distances all day. We did not net a lot but if we had it would have been in the 40s.

Elwyman

Well I finally discovered the Girder today!
Ended up there in the afternoon after a tough morning on the Hafod Lom side.....strong cold wind blowing across the lake. Managed one fish from the quarry on a black leech lure, off a fast intermediate line.
The Girder wasn't much better weather wise, strong cold wind blowing over my casting shoulder. Didnt see a fish rise all day. Was thinking of packing in early then I had 2 fish in 3 casts on the same fly....I assume a small pod of fish swam past me.
I think the fly hatches have been poor this year, haven't seen any Heather fly and not many daddies on the water.

snow white

I was on about the fly hatch this year no heather flys or daddy long legs I was there Tuesday this week and the wind weather was fine for a change
I had two fish 5.5 two 4.25 and two at 2.75 total of six
I lost six fish and that mean takes I can’t count them all really good day
compared to the last two weeks three trips and only seven fish but that’s the way it goes

The Barbless Crook.

The last three trips to Brenig have been a total waste of time for us. 4 trout and 2 pike between us and a lot of blanks and lost fish. Back tomorrow, glutten for punishment.

T.B.C.

Elwyman

I blanked on Friday, again in very windy weather.
Seems like you need to move about to find a pocket of fish.
Windy weather forecast most of this week.

glas y dorlan

The last three trips to Brenig have been a total waste of time for us. 4 trout and 2 pike between us and a lot of blanks and lost fish. Back tomorrow, glutten for punishment.

T.B.C.
Some fellow anglers of mine have had a couple of very good trips there recently. Slow glass with the dreaded snake flies (natural grey/white colour) around the cages were working well.

The Barbless Crook.

Glas,
Some people are having good days but the majority are struggling ie 1or2 fish. Just had last weks email and one angler had 17 off Hafod Lom. I think this angler had a few pods of recently stocked fish pass him. The fish are there but they are not playing ball at the moment.

T.B.C.

dgp

Glas,
Some people are having good days but the majority are struggling ie 1or2 fish. Just had last weks email and one angler had 17 off Hafod Lom. I think this angler had a few pods of recently stocked fish pass him. The fish are there but they are not playing ball at the moment.

T.B.C.
Was there last week and worked hard to get 3 fish for the day but a good size . Damsel on intermediate. Very little surface activity and no interest in dries

ian1104

Anyone been recently? Considering a boat for Sunday, or would I be better off going to Traws or Clywedog? 🤔

Elwyman

Anyone been recently? Considering a boat for Sunday, or would I be better off going to Traws or Clywedog? 🤔
Hi, the fishing is getting hard. I blanked from the bank last Friday, after getting 6 the previous week. I was fishing Hafod Lom, I saw the odd fish caught from the bank and the boat anglers with picking up a few more fish.
I think the fish are a few feet down.....fast intermediate line.

The Barbless Crook.

Did not happen Jim. Saw one fly this year that's all. Ian my two mates went up last thursday and had a good day 6/9 on black tadpole and a red fritz. They are up there again today so will report later how they got on.

T.B.C.

mebu

Was there on Sunday, 6 fish by noon, floater with washing line, some to suspender nymph on point, some to red diawls on droppers, although didn't see any fish rising. Activity slowed after lunch, maybe because there had been a number of boats. Drifting around the dam area; very strong fish, very enjoyable session.
Peter

The Barbless Crook.

Just spoke to the bil about yesterday's trip to Brenig. They got there late so went straight to Ring of Stones because the wind was blowing of v/c bank and up the res, started fishing towards the bird sanctuary. 3hrs later Kev had 3, bil nil all on floater and a black tadpole. After a cup of tea they went up the Hafod Lom bank and the bil landed 2,one being over 6lbs and a tail like a rudder,took full line and half his backing, Kev landed 1 on a sunken daddie. They said the fish were high in the water with a few anglers catching but not setting the world on fire.

T.B.C.

ian1104

Thanks for the helpful comments all. One more question..... The ring of stones, is that the area I've circled in this photo? A fishing map of Brenig with the different areas highlighted would be useful!!
Screenshot_20211014-000139.png

ian1104

Ended up in Clywedog instead - boat partner fancied trying somewhere different. Will leave Brenig until next Spring

Latest posts