British Fly Casting Club (BFCC)

karlsson

bet there's none in the North of Scotland ? easker1
I bet no one local wants to help?

Hi Al,

The BFCC have run a few events in Scotland, a couple in Glasgow and one in Fintry. In order to put on an event they need someone local to take the lead in finding a venue and promoting the day locally. There is someone working on this but we're not sure when the event will happen. As such, North Yorkshire was as high up as the club ventured this year. Hopefully Scotland will be back on the agenda next year - there's some fantastic competition casters up there.

t and t

The last BFCC meeting of the year is this Saturday (2nd October) at the usual end-of-season venue - Brentwood, Essex. As usual there will be a mix of instruction for all levels throughout the day as well as competition events for those wanting to try out against a tape, or accuracy targets.

Details are available on the BFCC Website and on our Facebook Page.

In previous years, the BFCC championship has been decided at this event, however this year James' consistency (winning the overall comp at 4 out of the 4 Meetings so far) means he has won the (virtual) trophy with one event to go. It will still be a great competition though with some seriously good casters attending.
Any one of them will demonstrate a tailing loop if you want them to :) (only not in the competition!)

Tracy

Last edited:

James9118

The final BFCC competition of the year on Saturday was tough with heavy rain for most of the distance events. That said there were still some outstanding casts made, not least from Mike Heritage who added 20ft to his salmon overhead veterans record after a bit of coaching - taking the V70 best to 172 feet. Just goes to show you're never to old to improve your technique. Tracy also added a couple of feet to the women's record in the monstrous T120 event.

The BFCC champion caster for the year was me, I managed to make it 5 out of 5 in terms of overall competitions won for the year. Unfortunately this event was the last one for one of the best casters at the club, Zhongxiang, who is returning home after a number of years in the UK.

James

P.s. With Tracy's permission, I'm going to use this thread in the BFCC off-season to discuss casting, how to improve, fault finding etc. in order to try and counter some of the absolute tosh that is being written elsewhere in the casting section. I hope to call on the services of some great casters I know plus some technical experts.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
I thought I'd put this cast here: Tracy casting over 52 yards (158ft) with a floating shooting head outfit. This cast is way over the current BFCC record (which Tracy also holds). Tracy is not a powerful caster but she has great tracking and generates good line speed.

Awesome! Would love to see that from behind!
Question, how much do you think was aerialised on third false cast?

Vintage Badger

I thought I'd put this cast here: Tracy casting over 52 yards (158ft) with a floating shooting head outfit. This cast is way over the current BFCC record (which Tracy also holds). Tracy is not a powerful caster but she has great tracking and generates good line speed.

Watching that on a small screen I thought to myself for a moment, by God she's cast a straight line there... then I realised it was the tape measure the camera was following! :LOL:

Misunderstandings aside, that was very impressive. (y)

James9118

Awesome! Would love to see that from behind!
Question, how much do you think was aerialised on third false cast?
Hi,

Tracy is casting a shooting head in the video so the aerialisation is fixed. The head length is about 54ft plus she uses quite a bit of overhang - maybe 6ft. Adding the line down to the hauling hand gives a total carry getting on for 70ft. Tracy can aerialise around 80ft with a #5 on a good day.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Hi,

Tracy is casting a shooting head in the video so the aerialisation is fixed. The head length is about 54ft plus she uses quite a bit of overhang - maybe 6ft. Adding the line down to the hauling hand gives a total carry getting on for 70ft. Tracy can aerialise around 80ft with a #5 on a good day.
80ft on #5 in the air!
More than most can cast after the "shoot"
Yes, noticed you said was shooting head, but got the distinct impression she was feeding line into cast on the forward part of the double haul, hence the question, it then leads into next question!
What is the running line?

ed_t

Always been struck by Tracy's extreme "open" stance, shoulders square to line and head back beyond her rear foot in the backcast. Such square-on open casting is common on the water but my limited observation of competition casting is that most have a more closed stance and involve much longer arm movement/translation and shoulder rotation. I guess this latter has a much higher likelihood of tracking errors without a lot of practice.

Have you tried to emulate that stance and technique, and how often do you see it in competitions?

James9118

Always been struck by Tracy's extreme "open" stance, shoulders square to line and head back beyond her rear foot in the backcast. Such square-on open casting is common on the water but my limited observation of competition casting is that most have a more closed stance and involve much longer arm movement/translation and shoulder rotation. I guess this latter has a much higher likelihood of tracking errors without a lot of practice.

Have you tried to emulate that stance and technique, and how often do you see it in competitions?
Tracy's interest in distance casting was only ever to improve her fishing, particularly for saltwater sight fishing where she keeps her eyes fixed on the fish. Obviously to cast the sort of distances she's now achieving she recognised that she needed to lengthen the casting stroke and she managed to do this without changing her stance. Because of lack of practice with the opposite stance her tracking does go off if she changes, thus she's better off sticking with what works best (or be prepared to put a lot of hours in)

There are quite a few distance casters who cast with a similar stance and others who will step into that stance on the delivery. It naturally leads to a great forward haul. So I'd say it's not the norm, but also far from unique.

Have I tried? - yes and failed miserably :) I just can't get the backcast that Tracy does using that stance. But then again, I don't practice distance that way (although I do cast the accuracy event in that stance).

James

Last edited:

James9118

Another video of Tracy casting, this time with a #5 MED line (this is a true to weight #5, and this cast won Tracy the virtual casting competition run by the Swedish federation in the summer). There's some talk on other threads about needing strong wrists etc. for casting - this simply isn't the case - Tracy struggles to get the lid off pretty much any jar :) This cast went 36.4m or 119ft 5in (in very light wind conditions), just short of the magic 120ft mark, but it's not Tracy's favourite line for distance.

Latest posts