brook rod

teeser

as the tile says im looking for something no longer than 7ft 2/3 wt for small heavily tree lined stream for not a lot of cash any suggestions welcome.

castaline

Brook rod

You should be able to find a Fladen Vantage 7ft 3wt on ebay for about £20.
Lovely little rod for not much money.

The Famous Grouse

I would consider very carefully the choice of a 2/3 weight for a short brook rod.

It may seem counter-intuitive but the extreme light weight of a 2 or 3 wt line makes it difficult to make short casts because there's very little weight out beyond the tip. These ultra-lightweights are also very prone to wind.

Also, it may seem like the 2/3 would give a more stealthy presentation, but in my experience most fish are spooked long before the line ever gets there. The biggest sins are making too much noise on the approach, too much false casting, and hanging up on branches or grass.

Have you cast a 2 or 3 weight? If so, I'd suggest you do before you plunk down your hard-earned clams. Personally, for a short brook rod, I stick with a #4 and then overline it with a #5.

Grouse.

Ducktape Corkfeet

Greys Streamflex, and I'd go for the 9' #5, as you can use it for practically anything. Pricey, but absolutely stunning to use, and nice bit of power in reserve.

teeser

thanks to all i intend to fish a 4wt lineon the rod which will need to be some what lighter hence 2/3 wt because of the lack of aerialised line I have an idea of what iwant but there does seem to be a lack of makers producing these at my price range if I dont see anything else i shall probably go for a greys grxi best price ive seen so far £72 . once again thanks for your answers.

Ducktape Corkfeet

Talk to one of their reps, or an academy member. You really should get an idea of the rod before buying, and they will give you the best advice.

Carlos

Well, I am not so sure about all this. Delicate presentation with very light lines is more about the flex of the rod. The greys I am told is not that flexible so not great at presenting light lines.

I have an Orvis 6'6" Superfine #2. It presents a gossamer line perfectly. The flex though is in the extreme, it'll flick a roll cast further than an over head cast and is perfect for the over grown high banked jungle I fish.

I would not go with most 9' 5# as they do not flick a line out easy enough as they are normally mid tipped so you lose control. So if you don't have a very flexble rod I can see the argument for a 7' #4, but if you can get the most fleible rod you can find.

Ducktape Corkfeet

LOL

I think they are perfect for what the guy is looking for. Was most definitely not my first choice, but after having the use of one for sometime, I have grown very fond of it, but then I'm a small stream coarse-fisherman, so what would I know!!:eek:

Buzz

LOL

I think they are perfect for what the guy is looking for. Was most definitely not my first choice, but after having the use of one for sometime, I have grown very fond of it, but then I'm a small stream coarse-fisherman, so what would I know!!:eek:
Very little!
The Streamflex rod is the equivalent of Phil Collins music.
Or put it another way the Streamflex is for fishermen who dont like fishing.
I could go on but i guess you get the general sentiment;)

Mostyn

thanks to all i intend to fish a 4wt lineon the rod which will need to be some what lighter hence 2/3 wt because of the lack of aerialised line I have an idea of what iwant but there does seem to be a lack of makers producing these at my price range if I dont see anything else i shall probably go for a greys grxi best price ive seen so far £72 . once again thanks for your answers.
teeser!
I fish the mountain streams, very small and narrow tribs, with fly thieving trees and over grown bushes, lots of bending and crouching, stealth is of the utmost importance!

I use a 7ft, Fladen #3,weight! You will be very surprised at the action of this rod, and at £25, if it gets damaged while crawling about in the mountain streams, then I'll buy another one! - I've used a WF#4, line on this rod, also tried a DT#2, (very difficult to find one of these lines) and it performed well with all three lines!

I also like the GRXi 7ft,#2/3, weight, it will take a #4, weight also!

What-ever you buy? Hope you have fun, fishing the streams!

Mostyn

Ducktape Corkfeet

I know where you're coming from, but I've never heard a bad report about them before, and I know a lot of professional fisherman that use them. To be honest, I never liked Greys rods, as I had seen too many break during casting, and any I used, I hated. It was only recently that I had one literally forced into my hand, that I even thought about one. I personally prefer more tippy rods, but the Streamflex forced me to calm everything down. I've used it on tarns, brooks, and loughs, and have been happy with it. I appreciate that there are much much better rods on the market, but in my opinion it's not a bad place to start.

TeePee

tesser.

I too can recommend the Fladen rod 7ft 3# at £25

I was that impressed I bought two ...

teeser

the reason I want A 7ft is to avoid catching the tree limbs which will be overhead when im casting a lot of the time.
I personally like the streamflex 4wt in 10ft and 9 ft and use them for much of my river fishing but they would be of no use
to me here I tried ebay thanks again all for your input.

Last edited: