Brown hen hackle?

geo4316

Hi im a newbie to fly tying but been doing it since lockdown & i love it & have caught a few fish on my own flies. Im looking at tying crunchers & wets with a brown hackle, there are plenty places selling black hen hackle but not brown. What do you guys use for a wet/cruncher hackle?
thanks
George

iainmortimer

I find a furnace hackle is best for crunchers. Alternatively red game is a great second option and arguably more versatile as you can tie a fly without the black centre of a furnace but if you dont ant that it can look very odd! if you can, contact your choice of seller and explain what you are after and what you want to do with it. eg one of my red game capes is a very poorly marked furnace which meant I got it cut price ;-)

Last edited:

Dean

They do capes which are decent in quality and in price - they also have in stock brown or badger which would seem like what you need.

webblade

I would go with cookshill. I would never buy Turrall hackle again after the last few I bought the quality is so bad I'm not bothered to use them.

dave b

The best hen capes I've used are the Lakeland Whiting Exclusive Hen Capes followed by the Metz Grade 1 hen capes. they aren't cheap at around £24 each however the Lakeland exclusive hen capes give superb quality feathers and a high percentage of the cape is useable for standard wet patterns from a 16-10 hook.

The problem I've found with Indian Hen Capes is that a high percentage of the cape is unusable and the quality of feathers vary significantly. Value for money the better capes win every time as the cheaper capes are false economy and good generic capes are few and far in between