Brown or brown/rainbow cross?

iainmortimer

I finally had the excuse (I was driving past for work) to drop in and fish one of my club waters and boy was it good to wet a line again after so long being dry. I only managed to grab 3 hours before I had to get going again. A few fish were rising but I couldn't raise a thing on dries and so on went my trusted black buzzer and a few casts later I had a nice 24" rainbow to the net followed by another 30 minutes later. My final fish before I went back to playing with dries (no success again...) was a nice brown as below. However, it had a very broad pink flank much the same as a rainbow and very few spots which is something I have seen in photo's a few times from other waters. That made me ponder on whether fish with that colouration are 'true' browns genetically or if genetically they are a rainbow/brown cross.

Does anyone in the business know? Not that I'm bothered one way or the other, just interested as I have little knowledge of breeding programs to get them bigger, faster.

Its not a brilliant photo for as its catch and release I rarely put them in a net or on the bank.

brown or rainbow cross.png

matoakwell

The "pink" looks like it's caused be the light going through the water. It can't be seen on the part of the body that's out of the water

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

JohnH

Brown, I have seen that pink-ish sheen sometimes on browns I've caught.

Loxie can possibly advise here. Way back in the dim far distant when I started fly fishing, I recall one of the Midlands reservoirs, maybe in Derbyshire, claiming they planned to, or had, stock with brown / rainbow crosses called, somewhat unimaginatively, "brownbows". They seem to have disappeared without trace. Tell me I'm not dreaming this, and is there a back story ?

iainmortimer

The "pink" looks like it's caused be the light going through the water. It can't be seen on the part of the body that's out of the water

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
That’s just the rubbish photo due to the bright glare stuffing up my phones ability to correct! The pink did travel right up to the gill covers.

loxie

Brown, I have seen that pink-ish sheen sometimes on browns I've caught.

Loxie can possibly advise here. Way back in the dim far distant when I started fly fishing, I recall one of the Midlands reservoirs, maybe in Derbyshire, claiming they planned to, or had, stock with brown / rainbow crosses called, somewhat unimaginatively, "brownbows". They seem to have disappeared without trace. Tell me I'm not dreaming this, and is there a back story ?
There have been many attempts to breed them and a very few have certainly been bred. There has also been some tall tales told. In the 1960's a man called Albert Knowles, a famous/infamous fisherman on the River Exe in Devon claimed to have invented "golden trout" a cross between a rainbow and a brown. He stuck to this story throughout his life and had what he claimed was the original fish stuffed in his house. My grandfather, for whom he was working at the time, was a little more reticent but sadly he died when I was 4 so I never got to hear his version. Albert was a great character and quite a storyteller but he was an outstanding angler, at one time making his sole living for his family selling rod caught salmon. I have sporadically tried to repeat his experiments but never succeeded and he was always extremely cagey about how he did it. The only Brownbows I have seen were pictures on the web from the states and they look nothing like a golden trout.

Having said that it is not impossible that promises were made but I'm not sure any were delivered. The golden trout have nothing to do with hybridisation either! I quite fancy having a go at crossing Atlantic salmon and rainbows but perhaps I shouldn't!

ohanzee

I finally had the excuse (I was driving past for work) to drop in and fish one of my club waters and boy was it good to wet a line again after so long being dry. I only managed to grab 3 hours before I had to get going again. A few fish were rising but I couldn't raise a thing on dries and so on went my trusted black buzzer and a few casts later I had a nice 24" rainbow to the net followed by another 30 minutes later. My final fish before I went back to playing with dries (no success again...) was a nice brown as below. However, it had a very broad pink flank much the same as a rainbow and very few spots which is something I have seen in photo's a few times from other waters. That made me ponder on whether fish with that colouration are 'true' browns genetically or if genetically they are a rainbow/brown cross.

Does anyone in the business know? Not that I'm bothered one way or the other, just interested as I have little knowledge of breeding programs to get them bigger, faster.

Its not a brilliant photo for as its catch and release I rarely put them in a net or on the bank.

That is a very strange trout, as a brown it seems to only have the main big spots and no others, and the rest is more rainbow looking that anything else, never seen anything like it.

bobmiddlepoint

I have seen quite a few trout like this.they mostly came from the closed''Humberside trout farm''

Jim

West Country rivers throw up a few of these not very spotty (sometimes almost spotless) browns. I wouldn't like to say what their parentage is, a lot of stoking went on in the past.
A pinkish sheen down the flank I think I've only ever seen in stillwater browns rather than river ones.

Andy

BobP

I seem to recall reading about successful crossing of brown and rainbow trout at Clatworthy Reservoir back in the late 1950's. I don't think the experiment lasted very long, but I distinctly remember something about it in Trout & Salmon back then.

splinters

Every days a skool day, I'd have said they couldn't interbreed but apparently it can be done in fish farms. Doesn't happen in the wild.
S.