Brown trout

tjjm

Looking to fish somewhere other
Than the Test as getting way to expensive..
I am in Kent , so somewhere within couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjjm

Thanks but no need my friend owns a large part of the Nadder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thesaintlyone

Sadly good brown trout fishing near Kent is either expensive too overgrown or private with long waiting lists. That's why I bough a camper van and go to the national parks.
Though tiese anglers is worth a look

delray

Nice fishery, with a hut too, although don't rely on the toilets being unlocked. On the car park/hut side of the main road, up from the sluice-pool (you'll see it, which incidentally has some large trout in it, possibly rainbows), you have about 1/2 mile or so of small stream stuff; only fished that stretch once with no joy. Across the road, if you turn left upstream, the river is probably a bit narrower, but holds plenty of wbt and grayling, but I invariably have had more luck downstream where there are more variations of water. It just looks fishier.
I only fish there in the autumn/winter so invariably nymph, but often see rising fish in the slower water.
It's a good fishery, you can wade but don't really need to, there's plenty of water to cover and importantly, there's some good pubs locally which would appreciate your custom!

Just a thought, there's 2 stocked ponds, one near the hut, one across the road and I believe you're allowed to have a go at the rainbows there, but I never have. They look lifeless, but I've seen someone feeding the one near the hut, and it's packed with them.
Cheers.

danielp

Thanks, I just booked a day on this beat! Has anyone fished it recently or at all? Any feedback?
It is a very nice beat, I fished it for the first time a few weeks ago and had a good day.

Started at the downstream limit of the main section and worked back up to the confluence with the feeder (a good 6 or 7 hours fishing). Took plenty of fish on dry flies, nothing fancy mainly DHEs and CDC patterns in the slower water. Took a number of decent grayling on nymphs in the few deeper pools and plenty of lovely trout. Ended up with over 40 fish by lunchtime.

Tried the upstream end but it is very tricky with the bankside growth in its current state, winkled a few out but there is no way this could be fished other than wading and casting directly upstream, probably 4ft of clear water at maximum when I was there.

Finally had a cheeky hour casting very big dry flies in the sluice pool up the feeder stream. Managed a few small grayling and then a nice brown trout of 2.8 lbs and a bloody enormous escapee rainbow of 4.2 lbs.

Wouldn't hesitate to go back again and will be there for the grayling in October.

thetrouttickler

Thought you might appreciate a brief update following my day.

The tributary at the car park (west trib of the Avon which I read isn't a true chalkstream) was coming down brown and discolouring the river below the confluence. We decided to look upstream from the confluence i.e. the east trib, which is true chalk I gather. This was clear but overgrown and small. Being overgrown, we had no chance fishing from the bank and had to get in. Being small every fish in the vicinity pin-ball-machined away as soon as we entered the river. Being a windy day, landing the fly in the right spot was tricky. So the upper section was fun but a bit of a disaster in the morning.

This was one of the easier sections to fish on the upper section. Gorgeous looking water.

DSCN1005.jpg

The river downstream of the confluence cleared relatively soon after lunch. The river here was much more of what I was expecting. Whilst it was impossible to see the bottom of the deeper pools, it was clear enough to target shoals of grayling with a dry fly. Watching them turn and take the dry was very exciting.

DSCN1032.jpg

All in all, 12 grayling and 3 trout. The best trout is below (16"). With the exception of the trout in the image I used a dry fly all day, which seemed to excite the grayling more. My mate who was using a nymph had more joy with trout. I lost two good trout on the dry in the late afternoon though. They both let go of the CDC & Elk and one of them continues to haunt me because it felt hefty.

DSCN1049.jpg

I would love to try further downstream next season, perhaps closer to Netheravon. Any ideas for access and day tickets?

Last edited:

pati

Hi

Interested in that Rushall organic beat, are they wild trouts or stocked (I guess both?)?

Thanks

Pat