Buchanty Spout, leaping Salmon, Sea Trout.

boorod

A few images from yesterday from Buchanty Spout on the river Almond, Perthshire.
Was buisy with photographers by the time I arrived so spaces were a bit limited, so had to do with a bit that mostly gave
images of the fishes backs, until someone moved away, so I could move at least level with the falls. was also good to meet Col, (Capnfishy) in which will be along at some point with some excellent images.

_MG_2821 -1 - Copy.jpg

_MG_2852 -1 - Copy.jpg

the point off re-entry.
_MG_2645 -1 - Copy.jpg

A nice Sea Trout attempts the falls.
_MG_2853 -1 - Copy.jpg

Andy.

Cap'n Fishy

Was buisy with photographers by the time I arrived so spaces were a bit limited, so had to do with a bit that mostly gave

Good stuff Andy - and good to meet you finally!

Aye, I was similarly denied my favourite spot. There was a guy shooting video in place when I arrived, and he was Bogarting the spot for hours and hours. You are right that there is one perfect spot and anything further downstream is tending to get their backs. The main alternative is to go upstream and try to get them coming over the lip with a telephoto somewhere around the 300 mm mark. I have been intending having a go at this - it's a bit of a holy grail shot, and really tricky from the stories I have heard from those trying to get it. If you get it just right you are talking about a Countryfile calendar shot! ;) However, I couldn't do that either yesterday, as my own pal Ron was in that spot! 😜 It needs the tripod set up as high as possible as well. A PITA for me, as I really need to stay sat down, what with my knacked hip joint.

So, I tried the spot just at the top of the falls. I sat there for about 3 hours thinking it was dead slow, given the perfect height of the water, and it coming back down from a double spike. After the video guy finally left, you got a shot at it, and there was another guy after you who had it. Finally, after he left, I got a shot at it myself. As soon as I was there, I could see that there were plenty fish after-all - it was just that I couldn't see them from where I had been sitting. Doh! So, I stayed about an hour longer than I had intended, trying to play catch-up with them. Fair play to them, as they usually quieten down through the afternoon, but they kept going, pretty well yesterday.

Never come away with so many frames with absolutely no fish in them! Where I was, I was seeing them late, and just being too slow with the shutter button. I also have never come away with so many shots where the fish is out of focus! Focus at the back, and they would jump at the front. Focus at the front and they would jump at the back. What's wrong with jumping up the middle, FFS?! 🤪 Perfect composition, but fish out of focus = bin it! (n)

Col

boorod

Good stuff Andy - and good to meet you finally!

Aye, I was similarly denied my favourite spot. There was a guy shooting video in place when I arrived, and he was Bogarting the spot for hours and hours. You are right that there is one perfect spot and anything further downstream is tending to get their backs. The main alternative is to go upstream and try to get them coming over the lip with a telephoto somewhere around the 300 mm mark. I have been intending having a go at this - it's a bit of a holy grail shot, and really tricky from the stories I have heard from those trying to get it. If you get it just right you are talking about a Countryfile calendar shot! ;)

Never come away with so many frames with absolutely no fish in them! Where I was, I was seeing them late, and just being too slow with the shutter button. I also have never come away with so many shots where the fish is out of focus! Focus at the back, and they would jump at the front. Focus at the front and they would jump at the back. What's wrong with jumping up the middle, FFS?! 🤪 Perfect composition, but fish out of focus = bin it! (n)

Col

Yeh know what your saying, plenty shots, so many just out off focus, had 700+ shots, finned it down to 234 that looked ok on camera 🤔 then sat down on to computer, boy did that change, some images that were bang on the center were out, while some out with were sharp, so far I have binned all apart from 34 that im happy with, but all ways a challenge when you go there, was thinking off having a go myself from the point that Ron was at, just to try and get a head on shot., hopefully try and get back up next week at some point.

Cap'n Fishy

Great to see these pictures from both of you guys on the forum. I hadn't fully appreciated the great lengths you go to to get the best shots so well done and thanks guys.

Aye, it's why we like it as a challenge - because you need to get absolutely everything right to get a 'keeper'. The faster your shutter, the better your chances. Anything below about 1/1000 sec and you get motion blur in the shot. I was trying to shoot at 1/2000 sec on Friday, and I see Andy was at 1/3000 sec. It's quite a shaded spot and light levels are usually not great. So, the trade-off with fast shutters is that you need your lens wide-open to get those speeds... so your depth of field is wafer-thin. My 1/2000 sec was offset with an aperture of f2. The fish are way too fast to try and focus on them as they jump, so you need to predict a plane and focus and hope the fish jumps through it for you while you hit the shutter. The other problem with very fast shutter speeds is that your ISO leaps up in great big bounds and degrades the quality of the shot. Some of my shots were at ISO 2500.

But as I say - we like the challenge! 😜

Col