Bug needing identified...

bazzer485

Those antennae are very distinctive. It's the males that have the 'big ones'. I think you've cracked it!

Any idea of the common name ? Is is a aquatic insect? If not what was it doing in a trout! It certainly looks like the one shown by the op
Baz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cap'n Fishy

Any idea of the common name ? Is is a aquatic insect? If not what was it doing in a trout! It certainly looks like the one shown by the op
Baz

Probably not got a common name. Not an aquatic insect. Like all terrestrials that get found in trouts' stomachs, it gets blown onto the water. Have a look at this lot...

I doubt there is an aquatic insect amongst them!

Col

aldot

Harpocera thoracica courtesy of facebook Insects and Invertabrates of Britain and IrelandView attachment 39988
I'd go along with that, features on the antennae, large eyes, yellow upper forelimbs, dark upper rear rear limbs, black rear abdomen
Defo has a shield bug look from above

Screenshot_20210616-233334_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210616-233256_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

aldot

Probably not got a common name. Not an aquatic insect. Like all terrestrials that get found in trouts' stomachs, it gets blown onto the water. Have a look at this lot...

I doubt there is an aquatic insect amongst them!

Col
That's amazing, and also amazing how humans have developed artificial flies over the years to represent that stuff from simple materials.
In this day and age or C&R I suppose spooning a fish and analysing its stomach contents is an activity a lot of anglers have missed out on. It used to be the first thing we'd do back in the day, I doubt many younger anglers even have a spoon.

Latest posts