Buxton area fishing

andrewparkeruk

Buxton Flyfishers Club (BFFC) controls the fishing from the derelict Devonshire Arms downstream as far as Blackwell Mill Cottages (where the wooden footbridge crosses the river). Beyond this is Cressbrook & Litton Flyfishing Club (CLFFC). So far as I am aware, upstream of the Devonshire Arms into the town of Buxton is not controlled.

BFFC is an active club: membership may be by invitation as there is no website, and no contact details are published. I understand that BFFC and CLFFC share a bailiff.

heathenwoods

Buxton Flyfishers Club (BFFC) controls the fishing from the derelict Devonshire Arms downstream as far as Blackwell Mill Cottages (where the wooden footbridge crosses the river). Beyond this is Cressbrook & Litton Flyfishing Club (CLFFC). So far as I am aware, upstream of the Devonshire Arms into the town of Buxton is not controlled.

BFFC is an active club: membership may be by invitation as there is no website, and no contact details are published. I understand that BFFC and CLFFC share a bailiff.
Sounds interesting and I'll have to find the time to have a look around when I get the chance but I don't know the area that well - I thought the closed down Devonshire Arms was a way away from the Wye (nearer the brook)? I can't place where you mean.

andrewparkeruk

If you drive SE from Buxton along the A6, past the Morrissons roundabout, past the water treatment (sewage) works, what I was told was the Devonshire Arms is at the end of the concrete channel section of the R Wye.
I don't know what you mean by "the brook" :confused:

bob_kurac

Andrew's description of the waters is correct: the ex/Devonshire Arms is signed Devonshire Mill currently. Upstream of there the river is in a concrete culvert to the water treatment plant. Above that I believe the riparian rights sit with High Peak Borough Council who do not let permission to fish.

BFFC & CLFFC do not share a bailiff as such, but do enjoy close co-operation. CLFFC's contact details and membership process is online. BFFC is a small club with a constitutional membership limit of 30, and chooses not to have an online presence though strong detective work will find the Secretary's contact details: It took me a while when I first moved to Buxton 2 years ago. I am one of the club's officers now though and if the original poster is still interested in contacting the club he is welcome to do so through a PM to me.

mandyphy

Thanks for the info.

bob_kurac

Is it the Wye that flows through the park by Morrison's and, if so, what makes it the colour of Donald Trump's face?
It's usually very clear there, but at the time you posted this, in August, there were a couple of major disruptions to the river further upstream: some major bank works by the local authority in the park known as the Serpentine, and some building works further upstream on that branch (there are two branches - not the Wye Head branch) which caused significant discolouration for a few weeks. All back to normal now.

Latest posts