Buying hooks.

GEK79

Where would you guys recommend me buying hooks please.. There's a few places. Here 25 hooks for about 5 or 6 euro. Which in itself isn't a huge amount but when buying 4 packets of 3 different sizes soon builds up in price..
Any recommendations for bulk buying or from where..
As always. Many thanks.
Gary

doobrysnatcher

add the price of materials to that
these are things overlooked by bargain hunters i went to but a 100 hooks and the guy selling wanted close to 20 euro

patk

Pat Nolan is the man for you in Ireland great value best of materials and cheap postage. Think I paid 10 euro for 100 last time for Kamasan B175 170 etc.

pentlandflyman

Lathkill are pretty cheap for ORIGINAL kamasan hooks but i wouldn't buy bulk re packaged hooks from an untrusted source as you really don't know what you are getting. I once bought kamasan B175's in a 100 pack from ebay and what arrived was not B175's, very close copy that others might have fallen for though.

pentlandflyman

iainmortimer

If you are happy to crush the barbs down then you can get kamasan in boxes of 100 which work out a lot cheaper than small packs of 15 to 25 - not all brands do bulk hooks. I agree with the recommendation of Pat Nolan, he's a great guy to deal with.

GEK79

If you are happy to crush the barbs down then you can get kamasan in boxes of 100 which work out a lot cheaper than small packs of 15 to 25 - not all brands do bulk hooks. I agree with the recommendation of Pat Nolan, he's a great guy to deal with.
Thanks Iain I will call him later today.. Thanks pal.. 👍👍

original cormorant

Gary if you are starting to tie flies check out ebay for a dead mans fly tying kit - it will have a huge supply of hooks as well as materials sold by relatives who have no idea how much it all cost.

Here's an example that came up from googling "fly tying materials job lot" condition used

Last edited:

GEK79

Kamasan b175s ordered size 14 and 16 100 in each box 22 euro delivered. Pat Nolan.. 👍👍

Paul_B

Kamasan b175s ordered size 14 and 16 100 in each box 22 euro delivered. Pat Nolan.. 👍👍

You wont go wrong with Kamasan (y)

I use B175 for anything that I want to sink, and B170s for anything that should float.
I still have hooks that I bought from a local firm at £5 a 1000, good hooks but they found they could make flies cheaper in their Korean factory than those tied by our local homeworkers, however I do like Kamasan hooks better
We got a lot of goodies from them those days

Last edited:

GEK79

You wont go wrong with Kamasan (y)

I use B175 for anything that I want to sink, and B170s for anything that should float.
I still have hooks that I bought from a local firm at £5 a 1000, good hooks but they found they could make flies cheaper in their Korean factory than those tied by our local homeworkers, however I do like Kamasan hooks better
We got a lot of goodies from them those days
Sad to see those days in the past.. 😕🤔

Latest posts