Buzzer fishing - Corrib

mattcullen

I see a lot anglers having success on buzzers during May – particularly when the trout aren’t up on the surface or when the water is calm. The only buzzer fishing I’ve done is on stockie lakes and I was advised to cast and just keep in touch with the flies, taking up any slack. I got fish doing this but I’m well aware that a) they weren’t wild fish b) I was fishing from the bank. If fishing a wild fishery like Corrib my understanding is that you either need to fish very calm water (possibly shelter in behind an island or in a calm bay) or anchor up/use a drogue. Would that be correct?

In terms of tackle would a straight through fluoro leader of about 15 ft be ok with three buzzers?

I’ve read location is key during the duckfly hatch. Is it equally important in May or if I concentrate on fishing the shallows will I be on the right track?

Any advice appreciated. I hope to get up to Corrib for a days fishing this year (out of Oughterard most likely) and would like to try the buzzers if the mayfly patterns aren’t working for me.

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
If you have a chance get the latest trout and salmon .
Stan Headley has an interesting selection of flys ,mainly for the buzzer from the boat.
The Red arrow variant and near perfect ,have been kind to me,both for wild brown
And resser fish (yes rainbows),ain't no wild brown lakes within 2+hours of Highbury

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Wee Jimmy

I’ve read location is key during the duckfly hatch. Is it equally important in May or if I concentrate on fishing the shallows will I be on the right track?
Yes....Location is absolutely crucial for this Matt. Buzzers live and then pupate in muddy or silty bottoms and the best areas to find them on Corrib are locally known as "buzzer holes". Flat calms are not essential, in fact I'd prefer just a steady gentle ripple. As long as you can fish your flies slowly enough through the area while always keeping in total control of them, you should be all set. Ideally you want to just keep in touch with the flies, only taking in slack line as you drift towards them as you already mentioned.However, a small amount of forward movement can also work on its day so it can pay to experiment with this as well as varying the depth your team of buzzers are fishing at with your leader set up.Change this by lengthening or shortening the overall length of the leader in conjunction with lighter /heavier flies.
If the fish are high in the water,I would ditch the fluorocarbon and switch to conventional nylon....;)

Last edited:

mattcullen

Thanks will check that out Super, cheers...all of that makes sense to me. I have visions of me casting a nice line and drifting along, nice slow retrieve and then feeling the line tighten into a big wild brownie! Wait till I get out there! It'll be tangle city and not a fish in sight.

the wulff

Heading to Corrib 13th - if weather is like this I may resort to Buzzers, I have caught rainbows on ponds but never on Corrib - I usually give up after half an hour - I have no confidence that I'm in the right area, I will be fishing out of Ballycurrin, any areas round there worth a lash or do I need to go down the lake ?