C&F Standard Bobbin Holder - any good?

Stuart_B

arkle

There are much dearer bobbin holders on the market than that if you want to use your money at a pace they would like you to. Take a look at the "Ekich" that lakeland sell for example. Would I use or even want one ? NO WAY !

Mal Hunter

Pro Member
I kid you not fellers - this chap said he'd stopped using any other bobbin holder since he'd bought the C&F one on the word of pal, and that they were worth the money. I was at a demo recently and John Tyzack was using one too.
Anyways - have any members used one?
M

ROVER

I have the midge size one - its the same as the standard but with a thinner barrel, which I prefer (I think mine was £20).

BTW, you could'nt just use a bent bit of copper wire as a threader as Molley suggests, as the C&F one is fairly rigid because its got to poke through a tiny slot in a piece of V.high density foam that keeps tension on the thread - ie, you need it.

I thought it was expensive but now believe it was money well spent - I would deffo recommend the midge, at least.

Rover:)

Stuart_B

I have the midge size one - its the same as the standard but with a thinner barrel, which I prefer (I think mine was £20).

BTW, you could'nt just use a bent bit of copper wire as a threader as Molley suggests, as the C&F one is fairly rigid because its got to poke through a tiny slot in a piece of V.high density foam that keeps tension on the thread - ie, you need it.
I thought it was expensive but now believe it was money well spent - I would deffo recommend the midge, at least.

Rover:)
I was actually speaking generally :)

Highlander

I would not say they are "worth the money" like many of their other products. But I have the standard holder & it is fine.
Tight Lines

humungus

i use griffin bobbin holders and in all my time as a flytyer ive never snapped thread i also own tiemco ones but in my opinion the griffins are by far better only my opinion

grizzle

The C&F ones are difficult to adjust for spool tension............my advice get a bobbin that accepts metal sewing machine spools ( buy these from a sewing shop NOT a fly tying one ).........Ken Newton does some nice ones!!.
Load your thread onto these, lovely and smooth and perfect tension!!

g

Stuart_B

The C&F ones are difficult to adjust for spool tension............my advice get a bobbin that accepts metal sewing machine spools ( buy these from a sewing shop NOT a fly tying one ).........Ken Newton does some nice ones!!.
Load your thread onto these, lovely and smooth and perfect tension!!

g

And if your bobbin holder doesn't take the smaller reels cos it's too wide you can get adaptors to fit between bobbin and bobbin holder to take up the space