Caistron Lakes - Flooding and Embankment Collapse

easker1

from what I hear Caistron has been closed for some time now, I have friends who used to fish it regularly and they say they haven' been able to fish it for a couple of years,but I have nothing further, easker1

iainmortimer

Presumably after the flooding has dropped the river will return to its natural course for that doesn't look like a particularly deep channel has been cut.

wrongfoot

Presumably after the flooding has dropped the river will return to its natural course for that doesn't look like a particularly deep channel has been cut.
A few articles and local news reports since I posted. It looks as though the problem was not the river changing course but that an old haul road on the flood plain was acting as a dam to the diverted flow and there was a worry it would fail suddenly and release a short spate big enough to cause problems.

I think the plan is to notch (and maybe bridge?) the haul road for a new channel and let the river take it's new course.

The lakes are probably finished as a fishery now (like Easker says, they've not operated as a business for a few years anyway) but they'll fill in with upstream gravels and reshape now they're exposed to river flows.

I'd love to go and see the changes, but lockdown... Maybe this summer?

Last edited:

iainmortimer

A few articles and local news reports since I posted. It looks as though the problem was not the river changing course but that an old haul road on the flood plain was acting as a dam to the diverted flow and there was a worry it would fail suddenly and release a short spate big enough to cause problems.

Think the plan is to notch (and maybe bridge?) the haul road for a new channel and let the river take it's new course.

I think the lakes are finished as a fishery now, they'll probably fill in with upstream gravels and reshape now they're exposed to river flows.

I'd love to go and see the changes, but lockdown... Maybe this summer?

Yes from what I can gather the Coquet is very flighty and so is regularly changing course!

wrongfoot

Yes from what I can gather the Coquet is very flighty and so is regularly changing course!
I've been told that the haul road breached a few weeks ago in lower flow conditions and the lakes emptied (at least partially) cutting a new channel. Maybe I should take a Google maps satellite screenshot now to compare with satellite images later when it updates.

Latest posts