Camarthenshire river trout fishing

thetrouttickler

I did have a week planned in Normandy, but that's gone down the drain, so I'm off to Wales instead! I will be staying between Camarthen and Llandeilo. It's a part of Wales I'm not familiar with at all. The nearest rivers on a map are the Cothi and Towy, the famous sea trout rivers I have read about so many times before. I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the direction of some day ticket trout river fishing in the vicinity (not the sea trout night time stuff!). I do enjoy wild, small streams, and prefer more intimate rivers to big, wide open ones, if this assists at all. I have searched online but the prevalent literature seems to focus on sea trout and salmon. Grateful for any pointers.

stevel

I've fished this area in both rivers Cothi and Towy for seatrout and salmon, however there are brown trout as well.
The Cothi was many years ago and I recall there was a tackle store in the town centre which sold day tickets however I believe that it can all be done through the Fishing Passport now.
I recall fishing for and catching small seatrout and browns on the Cothi, all on tiny wets with a 5wt rod.

icejohn

Towy was a waste of time for just brownies when I tried only had 7cm fish and for the big river theory chaps fishing for sea trout had a big 12lb er but only on fish for the whole week for over 30 Tickets sold. Not good fish to fishermen ratio.

There is some nice looking smaller rivers but don't know how you get on them.

Last edited:

thetrouttickler

Thanks for the replies so far. To be clear, I want to avoid the Towy and Cothi ideally, and fish some of the small streams in the area, if possible.

diawl bach

If you're prepared to drive then Llandysul Angling have some good trout fishing on the middle Teifi but it has to be said that the more acidic rivers of the south west have smaller resident trout and lower populations of them in comparison to those of the lime rich rivers of south east Wales.

I fish the lower Teifi for trout now the sewin numbers have decreased and I'm quite happy with my catches but I'm used to the river having fished it for a long while . Day tickets there are pricey Llandysul are better value.

The Taf has an angling club at St Clears, which is nearer to your holiday destination but I've never fished there so I can't advise you on that one however if you're after smaller waters then the Taf and its tribs will suit. https://fishingwales.net/fishing-locations/st-clears-angling-association/

It's a beautiful part of the world, you'll have a great holiday whatever.

Next year? - Alma House

thetrouttickler

As mentioned earlier check out the Wuf website there is a variety of fishing in the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. Now the River Camddwr at Tregaron AA looks promising...the water will probably be very low and testy, but the scenery and remoteness would be worth the trip alone. Anyone fished it?

diawl bach

All of the streams (slurry permitting) in the area hold populations of small resident trout and a lot of juvenile sewin so you'll should get plenty of offers. I've not fished the Camddwr but I've fished the Teifi around Tregaron a few times, you may be surprised at the size of the river there, it's not at all wide and holds a better head of fish than the tribs. Quite a lot of starweed and ranunculus there in summer, dries are the best bet.

martinzx

There is good fishing for sewin (sea trout) and brown trout in Llandilo on the river Tywi below and above the bridge, you can get a day ticket locally.

thetrouttickler

There is a gorgeous looking small stream very close to my holiday accommodation. I was gearing up to go and knock on some doors, until my research led to this. I thought its name sounded familiar.

As the news broke (2019)

The prosecution result (Dec 2020)

I crossed the Cothi at Edwinsford today, parked up and peered over the bridge. The river looked amazing! Exceptionally clear, and moving at a good rate of flow. Its appearance reminded me of the rivers in the South Island on NZ, in truth. I'd call it a medium sized river, or what the Americans might call a small stream! Small fish (looked around 6") rose as I watched. I might try the Dolaucothi stretch. They have a trib of the Cothi on their ticket too.