Can anyone shine a light on this…

skajtrout

One of the old boys at our club sadly passed away recently and his son brought up some of his old rods to sell, with the proceeds going to cancer research.

One rod in particular has the following inscribed on it:

Custom built for David Bartlett on Loomis IMX F1146 blank. 9’ 6” #6 Sept 1996 Roy Bailey - Cholesbury. Refinished May 2006.

So I told the lads that I’d put it up on here and see if any of you fine fellas could tell us anything about it, or indeed if any of you might be interested in buying it even.

Skaj

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
One of the old boys at our club sadly passed away recently and his son brought up some of his old rods to sell, with the proceeds going to cancer research.

Custom built for David Bartlett on Loomis IMX F1146 blank. 9’ 6” #6 Sept 1996 Roy Bailey - Cholesbury. Refinished May 2006.

So I told the lads that I’d put it up on here and see if any of you fine fellas could tell us anything about it, or indeed if any of you might be interested in buying it even.

Skaj
Skaj, have a look at this thread, and maybe conact said Lewis Chessman!

t44

Skaj,
I know a fly fisherman called David Bartlett….I’ll ask him if he might be the man! Cheers

icejohn

Would say the graphite is im6 while good at the time. So money wise not that much.

There is im12 now...

Obviously might be worth more to the people whose names are mentioned.

ohanzee

Skaj

The IMX was the modern fly rod, before the modern fly rod arrived, you could use it today and get by just fine, it's a piece of history to the the rod geek but value wise it's not appreciated, whoever the hell David Bartlett was he was undoubtedly ahead of the game, imagine someone now commissioning a rod like that now.

skajtrout

Here’s what James (Lewis Chessman) told me, for anyone that may be interested:

(Thanks again, James. Couldn’t have asked for a more comprehensive answer)

Well, what can I tell you? :)
The IMX was a seminal rod in its day. It was first introduced to the market in 1987 by G. loomis and designed by Steve Rajeff, the champion caster of his day. He went on to design the far superior GLX series and still designs rods for G. Loomis/Shimano today.
The IMX was important because it used the then state of the art, next gen T40 composite graphite, a step up from its predecessor IM6 in that it was stiffer, i.e. faster. The original models had a 'glass scrim to strengthen the female ferrules but 2nd gen. IMX were all carbon, the first commercial fly rod to achieve this. Given the '1996' date on 'your rod' I'd expect that it is 2nd Gen.

The 'F1146' denotes a 'Fly' blank with 114 being cm (9' 6") and '6' denoting the line weight - #6. I expect it is a 2 piece.

I presume David Bartlett is your late members name, certainly it is the original owner's.
I haven't heard of Roy Bailey. You or the son would have to Google him to establish whether his name adds any value or not, but in all honesty I doubt it does. That it has been refurbished anyway kind of negates that issue anyway.

I have a couple of UK custom built IMXs and they're still nice rods to fish. Certainly, they're not soft tools - if anything they're a tad too fast for my liking - but I do prefer a more forgiving action myself.
Nevertheless, Factory built IMX prices have reached silly levels of late (try eBayUK/G.Loomis IMX/Completed/Sold listings to see recent sale prices). They'll never match the GLX but they're still a desirable rod, even custom UK models, especially if they carry the IMX decal to authenticate the blank. If it's been built with a handsome reel seat and is in good nick then I think you can set a reserve price at £100 and let the market decide. If handsome, is in excellent condition and has a tidy rod sock and tube it might fetch £150-£180 on a good day. 9' 6" #6 is a desirable model after all, though the 2 pc. (if it is) will deter some due to portage issues. Just bare in mind that it's not 'factory' and that will likely reduce the value, relatively speaking.

*Suffice to say that David Bartlett was not the name of our recently departed friend.

Skaj

t44

Got a reply afraid the Dave Bartlett I know is not the right one

Latest posts