Can you cast a full length of 30 yard WF fly line?

Ability to cast a full 30 yard fly line off the reel. Normal single handed rod and WF fly line

• Easy, no problem

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Occasionally, with a following wind behind me.

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Get close, but usually few coils left on the reel

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • No chance

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • Never tried

Votes: 8 8.9%

• Total voters

Cap'n Fishy

When fishing I have to decide on a spot, I guess, or predict based on the last two rises, then it's a fixed point, it's no longer a moving target and once committed it's a fixed distance.

I then have to judge the distance and cast straight to be accurate.

So you got a fixed distance, judgement of distance, and straight tracking...

Yeh, but none of that judgment is involved when you are simply casting at a ring. Just trying to suggest a way to make the whole thing more realistic... 😜

ohanzee

Yeh, but none of that judgment is involved when you are simply casting at a ring. Just trying to suggest a way to make the whole thing more realistic... 😜

More realistic for me would be the same thing but standing on a patch of long grass with a sloping heather clad hillside immediately behind and a massive fan blowing, the ring part is actually surprisingly similar.

Dingbat

Just occurred to me - roll casting - I feel much more confident getting on-target and distance with a stiffer rod (my general preference is for medium-fast, if that is a description) rather than the softer rods for a lazy summer day.

Cap'n Fishy

So what is the caster doing then? Closing their eyes and launching it?
Of course not.
They are aiming at the point they think will be right.
That fixed point again.

You are telling me there is no difference between aiming at a ring that you can see visually with your eyes, and casting at an imaginary spot that you can only envisage in your mind's eye?

As I said, the ring is a static target - the same for everyone. The concept of the CGI malarkey was to have a fish rise that you then had to work out from its pattern what direction it is heading and where it is likely to rise next. Then you have to aim at that imagined spot. Accuracy will be dependent on how well the rise was read by the caster. It's adding a bit of fishing to the world of tournament casting... 😜

Whinging pom

You are telling me there is no difference between aiming at a ring that you can see visually with your eyes, and casting at an imaginary spot that you can only envisage in your mind's eye?

As I said, the ring is a static target - the same for everyone. The concept of the CGI malarkey was to have a fish rise that you then had to work out from its pattern what direction it is heading and where it is likely to rise next. Then you have to aim at that imagined spot. Accuracy will be dependent on how well the rise was read by the caster. It's adding a bit of fishing to the world of tournament casting... 😜
I get! So where the fly lands you ‘then’ see if the trout has arrived at the spot . Easy
Its Whether you’ve anticipated travel and direction and guessed it right . Extra jeopardy!
It’s sort of like Quantum particles it’s only when you land the fly (observe) you see if then the Trout,is there Or not. Until you land the fly the trout …. Like shroedingers cat, is in a Super position . Not so much dead and alive, but there and not. Quantum fishing Oh gosh this opens up so many new ideas. You could have bonus entanglement trout. If you catch that one you also catch another identical one in a distant loch . I can feel a head ache coming on!
seriously Col I can see what you’re saying it’s a great concept.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 81051

No matter how you could set up competition accuracy casting, it would be a waste of money. It's of little or no interest to non-participating spectators. It's extremely boring. All competition casting is boring for non-participating spectators, other than a few daft groupies.

From what I remember of the the World Casting Championships held at Carton House, Co Kildare in 2006, it was the first time that substantial prize money was on offer, in order to make sure an international field turned up. The organisers banked on a crowd turning up for the week-long event to, not only recoup the prize money on offer, but to make a profit. It failed badly to attract spectators, the organisers lost a small fortune, and embarrassingly couldn't pay out anywhere near the full prize money list which was promised.

However, I do appreciate that teaching casting, and the development of equipment related to good casting is very important, and exhibition casting, as part of a country fair or tackle show, can be entertaining, when showing off some amazing skills from those at the top of their game.

Elwyman

Well I saw a lovely sight last night. Went to the club lake for an hour and saw a chap teaching his 12 year old grandson to cast a fly. Early days, but he was getting a line out quite well.
I told him there's no need to cast the full line out every cast.😂

Cap'n Fishy

I get! So where the fly lands you ‘then’ see if the trout has arrived at the spot . Easy

Where your fly lands is recorded on the touch-sensitive floor and the CGI programme compares it to where its virtual trout was going to come up next, giving you your score. 🤪

seriously Col I can see what you’re saying it’s a great concept.

Thanks, I'm glad someone likes it. 😜

Paul_B

Some where I've fished have to cast 30yard plus to get to the fish that they scared away while splashing and doing the old shoe shuffle (wader shuffle didn't have the same ring to it).

ohanzee

No matter how you could set up competition accuracy casting, it would be a waste of money. It's of little or no interest to non-participating spectators. It's extremely boring. All competition casting is boring for non-participating spectators, other than a few daft groupies.

From what I remember of the the World Casting Championships held at Carton House, Co Kildare in 2006, it was the first time that substantial prize money was on offer, in order to make sure an international field turned up. The organisers banked on a crowd turning up for the week-long event to, not only recoup the prize money on offer, but to make a profit. It failed badly to attract spectators, the organisers lost a small fortune, and embarrassingly couldn't pay out anywhere near the full prize money list which was promised.

However, I do appreciate that teaching casting, and the development of equipment related to good casting is very important, and exhibition casting, as part of a country fair or tackle show, can be entertaining, when showing off some amazing skills from those at the top of their game.

It is boring to watch, I personally wouldn't, I would do it though, far more interesting, then again I'd rather play football than watch it or talk about it.

D

Deleted member 81051

It is boring to watch, I personally wouldn't, I would do it though, far more interesting, then again I'd rather play football than watch it or talk about it.
I could do it too, and would probably enjoy it for a while, but only fly rod casting.

However, the spinning rod casting competitions are for the birds, and have absolutely nothing to do with fishing as far as I could see. Spinning in a circle like hammer thrower and whipping a rod to death with a wee white plum shaped weight into invisibility, only to be looked for in the grass by a chap away in the distance, just seems plain daft.

ohanzee

I could do it too, and would probably enjoy it for a while, but only fly rod casting.

However, the spinning rod casting competitions are for the birds, and have absolutely nothing to do with fishing as far as I could see. Spinning in a circle like hammer thrower and whipping a rod to death with a wee white plum shaped weight into invisibility, only to be looked for in the grass by a chap away in the distance, just seems plain daft.

Never seen it, maybe spin fishers like that sort of thing, no idea, I wouldn't want to watch any of it, my only interest has ever been getting better at the bits that are useful to me, hence distance casting for me is trying to get a decent controlled 80', so that 60 is easy when I need it, and hoops, ok I got a bit addicted to that, teach you to look at the distance between you and a rise and be able to cast that exact distance without farting about or overshooting it and putting fish down.

But the biggest thing I'd keep mentioning is that when someone is focused on trying to get a fly in a hoop accurately, they have to cast perfectly to do it, if there is anything wrong with your cast you won't hit the target, when you get it in the rest of your cast is good, do it enough and you will automatically have good tracking and smooth loops, perfect accurate presentation is just part of that.

D

Deleted member 81051

The last bit sounds a lot like a golf tournament! 🤪
No not the last bit. The golf swing is pretty much like casting a fly rod. Accuracy depends on consistent plane tracking throughout the backswing and downswing and distance comes from continuous loading and unloading the golf club shaft throughout the backswing and downswing, with a perfect release at the bottom of the arc. Spinning is just spinning. ;)

Paul_B

There were two men who played golf together frequently. One was several strokes better than the other. The lesser player was very proud, and never wanted to take any strokes to even up the game. One Saturday morning, he shows up with a gorilla at the first tee. He says to his friend, "I've been trying to beat you for so long that I'm about ready to give up. But, I heard about this golfing gorilla, and I was wondering if it would be alright if he plays for me today. In fact if you're game, I'd like to try to get back all the money I've lost to you this year. I figure comes to about a thousand bucks. Are you willing?" The other guy thought about it for a minute, and then decided to play the gorilla. "After all, how good could a gorilla be at golf?" he thought. Well, the first hole was a straightaway par 4 of 450 yards. The guy hits a beautiful tee shot, 275 yards down the middle, leaving himself a 6 iron to the green. The gorilla takes a few powerful practice swings and then laces the ball 450 yards, right at the pin, stopping about 6 inches away from the hole. The guy turns to his friend and says "That's incredible, I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. But, you know what, I've seen enough. I've got no interest in being totally humiliated by this gorilla golfing machine. You send this frigging gorilla back to where he comes from. I need a drink; better make it a double, and I'll write you a check." After handing over the check, and well into his second double the guy asks, "By the way, how's that gorilla's putting?" The other guy replies, "Same as his driving." "That good, huh?" "No, I mean, he hits putts the same way - 450 yards, right down the middle!"

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/sportsjokes/golfjokes/gorillagolferjokes.html

geenomad

Just a few thoughts, briefly.
  • From my point of view cast length is simply one dimension of cast accuracy.
  • Accuracy requires control and control is greatly assisted by minimising effort.
  • In other words, the essence of casting well is casting efficiently.
  • Efficiency (not distance) is both the objective of and the test for, fly casting technique.
  • Graceful casting results from economy of effort.
My search for knowledge and improved technique took another big step forward when I stopped practicing at maximum distance as a means of becoming more accurate at shorter distances. That was somewhat helpful but misguided because throwing as far as I could was in fact habituating limited/faulty technique, instead of improved technique. In stark terms it was reinforcing failure instead of success.

FWIW I generally practice with a 5wt combo and my standard course for park practice has 4 targets in a line placed at 10 foot intervals and I’m usually standing 60’ from the first one.

People who can cast seriously long with a 5wt combo are generally seriously good casters. (Not all of them, however, are graceful casters.) IME and now in imho it is a mistake to conclude that technique will be optimised by trying to maximise casting distance. Cart before horse problem.

Cheers
Mark

ohanzee

I think anything that gets you to string up a rod and play with it helps the overall cast, it's what you discover when you do that that leads you to other things, as in all learning it's often just trying something that has you thinking about it, then trying that, working out how someone else did a thing or explaining to someone else how you do a thing etc, etc, play is the start of all learning, it's not long before you discover things that might come in useful.

An example along the lines of accuracy that might interest the 'fishing not casting' sceptics was a random thing that myself and some others tried for a laugh, hoops set up at different distances with the furthest at 85', I was at the fly end checking and giving points, what I saw(without lifting a rod) was about 5 different casters presentation from the fish end, it ranged from one casting instructor landing in the hoop at 85' with near zero disturbance, to the slightly less able landing wide of the mark with a slap, form the rod end they saw nothing to be concerned about, a few minor adjustments later and probably just being aware of it made a big improvement, the sort of thing that results in more fish caught, and a renewed confidence in what's happening 50 - 80' away from you and never seen close up.

BobP

The basic question is wrong. It is not "can you...........?" but should be "do you need to.......? In most cases the answer is "No"

For example, where I fish on the river a 30 yard cast will land the fly 10 yards into the field on the far side, so do I need to cast that far? No, I do not. Do I need to be able on occasion to cast 20 yards very accurately to target a rising trout tucked close to the reeds on the far bank? The answer is "yes." Can I do that? Again, the answer is "yes".

On the reservoir I fish from the bank, well over 40 years experience there has taught me that the prime fish catching zone is from 5-15 yards out, with 10 yards being the most likely. At that point the water is about 10' deep at normal high water and the trout patrol back & forth along that line. Therefore my casting effort is aimed at getting my flies into that zone as often, and for as long as possible. Do I need to cast 30 yards to be able to do that? No, I don't but I do need to cast 23-25 yards consistently so that the flies are down at the right depth when they get into the zone.

Casting 30 yards is a waste of time there until the winter when the fish retreat from the bank and feed down at the 30' level. For every fish I catch at range, I catch 4 or 5 close in. Long casting, therefore, is a waste of productive fishing time.

People who advocate long casting need to ask themselves what they are hoping to achieve. If it is just casting a long way because they can, then best go to the park. Otherwise, consider where the fish are most likely to be that they are aiming to catch and ask themselves whether or not casting 20 yards past the fish is really a useful tactic.

Reactions: ejw