Can you cast a full length of 30 yard WF fly line?

Ability to cast a full 30 yard fly line off the reel. Normal single handed rod and WF fly line

• Easy, no problem

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Occasionally, with a following wind behind me.

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Get close, but usually few coils left on the reel

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • No chance

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Never tried

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters

original cormorant

Please guys,
Don't get bent out of shape with each other. There is enough of that going on in other threads.
I made a genuine mistake. A case of posting too quickly and leaving out info. A 400grm head etc. As I said it was bought on a whim. I'm planning on using it with just a Di8 Booby Basher when I think I need to. There has been some good advice here so I'm sure I'll work it out.
I know how things can spin off into outer space on here - there's a thread I started thats gone into dozens of pages that are nothing short of an embarassment.

Good luck with the line - just practice with it so it will do what you want when you need it to.

uptomyknee_s

I know how things can spin off into outer space on here - there's a thread I started thats gone into dozens of pages that are nothing short of an embarassment.

Good luck with the line - just practice with it so it will do what you want when you need it to.
Well here's a conundrum. Having bought a competition 8# admittedly on a whim I'm still trying to get to grips with it and the Booby Basher line. So today I dig out my old, pretty much unused 10ft Sonik SK3 XTR 7/8# from the back of study. Long story short but within very little time the Bobby Basher and running line is flying out without a double haul.

LukeNZ

Well here's a conundrum. Having bought a competition 8# admittedly on a whim I'm still trying to get to grips with it and the Booby Basher line. So today I dig out my old, pretty much unused 10ft Sonik SK3 XTR 7/8# from the back of study. Long story short but within very little time the Bobby Basher and running line is flying out without a double haul.
With the comp. rod (comp. casting rod, I am presuming?), you may need quite a bit more speed and line out... They don't reward tentative casting, but precise aggressive casting keeping it loaded, will get you feeling what is required to make it launch line.

Dont give up 👍

🙃

GEK79

Can't say I've ever managed to achieve casting a full fly line off the reel. Have got close occasionally, but probably a couple of yards short.
Interested to see what general ability level is.
I've followed this thread and thought about the fishing I do.. Most of it is in loughs with banks and trees and reeds where a huge amount if not most of the food comes from and blown onto the water.. Most of my fishing is done with about 19dt of line out.. Close contact I'd guess.. Can't really understand why I'd need the whole line off the reel.. But if you can do it well done... Gary.

PaulD

Can't really understand why I'd need the whole line off the reel.. But if you can do it well done... Gary.
More often than not, with the nature of your fishing, you don't.

However, if you're fishing a busy bank at Grafham, surrounded by Hugh, Pugh, Barney Magrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub, all wading and thrashing the water to a foam, then the ability to cast a long line, beyond the general disturbance, is a distinct advantage. Similarly, if you want to fish deep from a drifting boat, the further you can cast, the longer your flies will fish at the target depth.

To be able to cast a long line effectively, you need to be able to cast a short line well and often it's the people who can't cast a short line well that drive the fish further from the bankside and promote the unappetising spectacle of futile attempts at distance.

Elwyman

I've followed this thread and thought about the fishing I do.. Most of it is in loughs with banks and trees and reeds where a huge amount if not most of the food comes from and blown onto the water.. Most of my fishing is done with about 19dt of line out.. Close contact I'd guess.. Can't really understand why I'd need the whole line off the reel.. But if you can do it well done... Gary.
PaulD has summed it up well. I rarely need or try to cast to the horizon because there is no need. Fish at Brenig or often 5 to 15 yards from the bank, but occasionally there is a wind lane or a ripple frustratingly at maximum casting distance, so one tries to reach it!

There's also a certain pool tail on the Conwy which needs a good long cast at night, not 30 yards but 20 to 25 yards, so good casting technique does help.

GEK79

PaulD has summed it up well. I rarely need or try to cast to the horizon because there is no need. Fish at Brenig or often 5 to 15 yards from the bank, but occasionally there is a wind lane or a ripple frustratingly at maximum casting distance, so one tries to reach it!

There's also a certain pool tail on the Conwy which needs a good long cast at night, not 30 yards but 20 to 25 yards, so good casting technique does help.
It's been many years since I've fished the Welsh waters..
Llyn Dilyn and mellinllyn have great winds
But most of my fishing is close contact and as stated fair play if your able to do it..

GEK79

However, if you're fishing a busy bank at Grafham, surrounded by Hugh, Pugh, Barney Magrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub, all wading and thrashing the water to a foam, then the ability to cast a long line, beyond the general disturbance, is a distinct advantage. Similarly, if you want to fish deep from a drifting boat, the further you can cast, the longer your flies will fish at the target depth.

To be able to cast a long line effectively, you need to be able to cast a short line well and often it's the people who can't cast a short line well that drive the fish further from the bankside and promote the unappetising spectacle of futile attempts at distance.
Ahh thanks lad 2 very different types of fishing I've only ever met one lad on the lough and he fished half a mile away.. I guess in the busy places it's needed.. Thanks for the explanation..
G.

ed_t

It's been a while, but one water i fish you can do quite well casting along the shore behind the boys wading out. That gets dirty looks, but if the fish are rising close... stop casting far.

Equally when the fish are rising at the edge of the shelf 20+ yards out, casting at your feet won't work. Useful to be able to get close in those conditions.

Latest posts