Can you cast a full length of 30 yard WF fly line?

Ability to cast a full 30 yard fly line off the reel. Normal single handed rod and WF fly line

• Easy, no problem

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Occasionally, with a following wind behind me.

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Get close, but usually few coils left on the reel

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • No chance

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • Never tried

Votes: 8 8.9%

• Total voters

ohanzee

This is a good observation. A tail wind isn't the best for distance casting at all. The back cast doesn't extend well, but the wind removes the resulting slack on the forward cast and helps turnover giving the impression of distance. I prefer a slight headwind to a tail wind. I'd rather have a straight backcast...
The side wind is probably best because the rod leg and fly leg are canted into slightly different planes by the air pressure, which removes the chance of a tailing loop 😉

As a right hander I'm best with left to right breeze, less chance of the line blowing the line into me so less to distract.

ed_t

A few year's ago I wasn't a national record holder though. Casting well is so much easier in practice, what I do know is that being relaxed is absolutely crucial and if even a tiny bit of tension creeps in the distances will drop dramatically. That's not always easy when you've got 3 minutes to get your best cast of the day out. I don't think I've ever finished a casting competition and thought that was the best I could do on the day, I'm more likely to be thinking I should have cast 10ft further (and often do so straight after the comp). However it's something I accept and I still do ok.
You do better than ok, but a bit of stress management... translate the practice casts into competition... more volunteers needed at bfcc meets and maybe competing conditional on moderating: 3 minutes casting, 3 minutes cool down, 3 minutes moderating. Just a thought.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Bert knows the man I mentioned putting a fly into a tea cup, most recently approaching 90 a cup sitting on the wall at Carron reservoir, his party piece was to flick cigarettes out of peoples mouths at casting events, far, far beyond landing in a hoop.
Whilst also holding his sporran out of the way of the line!

Whinging pom

some one remarked about surprise that 25 %could do it with ease which on a forum like this I’m personally not suprised.
what kind of saddens me is the 40 % who said no chance and never even tried and I wonder how many just lack confidence or self belief . I put myself down there too and to be honest I have no idea what my casting looks like to others, I’m happy with my knowledge and ability and water management, and ability to place a fly to catch wild trout close up , but embarrassed to cast in-front of another fishermen at any distance I’m sure it must be appalling spectacles and even worse with witness’s to the crime
I was taught by Robin Elwys from Farlows , A few years later he watched me fishing for a while sat on the bank . I asked him what he was upto and he said watching me a thinking to himself that he’d taught me to do that! I took it as a compliment but can’t shake off the feeling that the thought of someone seeing me casting is as bad as being exposed in my birthday tackle and that all my failings are on view to the world !! I hope not too many of the 40% feel as badly about it as I do but I suspect many do.
70’ feet into a 1’r ring !!! my god a barn door at 25‘ would have no concerns if there was anyone to witness it

Last edited:

James9118

You do better than ok, but a bit of stress management... translate the practice casts into competition... more volunteers needed at bfcc meets and maybe competing conditional on moderating: 3 minutes casting, 3 minutes cool down, 3 minutes moderating. Just a thought.
Yes, that would be nice but it never happens. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a warm up before casting. If some of the competitors didn't measure all day the comps would never get finished.

James9118

some one remarked about surprise that 25 %could do it with ease which on a forum like this I’m personally not suprised.
what kind of saddens me is the 40 % who said no chance and never even tried and I wonder how many just lack confidence or self belief . I put myself down there too and to be honest I have no idea what my casting looks like to others, I’m happy with my knowledge and ability and water management, and ability to place a fly to catch wild trout close up , but embarrassed to cast in-front of another fishermen at any distance I’m sure it must be appalling spectacles and even worse with witness’s to the crime
I was taught by Robin Elwys from Farlows , A few years later he watched me fishing for a while sat on the bank . I asked him what he was upto and he said watching me a thinking to himself that he’d taught me to do that! I took it as a compliment but can’t shake off the feeling that the thought of someone seeing me casting is as bad as being exposed in my birthday tackle and that all my failings are on view to the world !! I hope not too many of the 40% feel as badly about it as I do but I suspect many do.
70’ feet into a 1’r ring !!! my god a barn door at 25‘ would have no concerns if there was anyone to witness it
As long as you can cast well enough to enjoy the fishing you do - that's all that counts.

None of us was born with the ability to throw fly lines about, so I wouldn't worry about it.

taffy1

An old fishing acquaintance used to do his party trick when selling some top quality rods. He would unspool a new line on his neighbours long lawn, thread the line through the rod (no reel involved) & then some, lift the rod for a back cast & send the line out through the rod rings & watch it almost disappear to the horizon. Maybe back then, fly lines were 27 yards long? Not the 30 yards of today.

ohanzee

It's a very good point, and their input would be more interesting here, as you know I once gave a bit of time to help beginners, and most suffered from very basic things that could be put right pretty quickly, they had just never had the opportunity to be around others and see how things were done, I think if anyone feels they want or need to they should get together and not be self conscious about it, everyone is rubbish before they get good at anything, it's a productive and sociable way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Whinging pom

As long as you can cast well enough to enjoy the fishing you do - that's all that counts.

None of us was born with the ability to throw fly lines about, so I wouldn't worry about it.
I do . I love being by myself with nature down in the brook. And I get so much satisfaction of achieving a zone where I look at a spot a couple of rod lengths away and the fly miraculously arrives there, but put another person in the vicinity and it falls to pieces.
I get invites to other waters but rarely take them up it’s just too embarrassing . Luckily I never do still waters as it must be awful to be on the bank surrounded by what look like double hauling casting gods and think your falling short just chucking fluff in comparison, which I guess many of the 40 % do, While in actual fact if they could see themself’s they’d realise it’s all turning over nicely and they’re actually half decent and doing just fine.
It’s a solo pursuit largely , but maybe if the casting instruction was more communal it may help break down those barriers ( even in the crude basis that out of a dozen of you 1 at least has to be crapper than you 😁).

I admire you guys that can do it, And watching good casting is a thing of beauty for me, but what’s it like hooking up with 90’ of line out ?
it’s probably a buzz but it just seems so remote to me.

ohanzee

but what’s it like hooking up with 90’ of line out ?

Missed by the time the line tightens most likely, where I fish the back cast space means longest cast I can make is 60', which is about as far as I can see :) ..a fly, casting further or practice is just to get that right for me.
I reckon I can get anyone doing that pretty consistently in a couple of hours, it's all achievable.

LukeNZ

I don't think there is an obsession - certainly not from the casters I see. What I will say is that accuracy casting competitions are more often than not won by people who are also good at distance. The standard world championship rules accuracy competition is at what I'd call fishing distances, i.e. up to 50ft. As such, you'd think that non-distance casters would win as often as distance casters - that simply isn't the case.

I think this is because people who have learnt distance simply have more all-round control. I've said this before, but I believe I could watch fly fishers casting to 40-50ft and be able to tell you which of them could cast to 90ft and which couldn't. That's because all the faults that stop them casting 90ft are still present at 40ft (tracking issues etc), but perhaps not as obviously. If they cant track straight, then it's unlikely they will be very accurate. Now, this doesn't matter to someone who blind fishes a small lake always with the wind on their back, but to someone who wants to make a 70ft shot to a spooky bonefish/permit into a 20mph wind, then it does.

James
Exactly right. Those who cast well, can cast well at any distance.
Accuracy will diminish by 50% each time a caster doubles his distance. It is the same level of accuracy. Within 100mm at 25 mtr. is within 200mm at 50 mtr. - the same level of accuracy.

However the possibility of being more acccurate at long range is greater., because the window is larger.

🙃

The Endrick Spider

Can't say I've ever managed to achieve casting a full fly line off the reel. Have got close occasionally, but probably a couple of yards short.
Interested to see what general ability level is.
When I was 15 to 20 years old lad, (1958 to 1963) I fished my local dam which is about half a mile long and varies from 50 to 60 yards wide. During that time I was regularly landing my cast of two flies along the far shoreline. Although during those five years I must have rose hundreds of fish at that distance, don't recall ever hooking any. With just about all of the fish caught being from 8 to 20 yards from the shoreline I was fishing from, although all of this long casting proved to be fishing time wasted it did teach me that long casting was not at all necessary. Having this knowledge I still continued doing so for when you are still getting offers at that distance you are always tempted to have a go.
I have got a confession to make, the dam I fished was tree lined and wading was impossible so this distance of casting 50/60 yards with a fly, it was all done with an 8 foot spinning rig and a candle float so this does not really apply to the question. Using a traditional fly rod, having been fly fishing since 1958, have never been able to cast much further than 20 yards but having a 5/6 yard leader have never tried for my thoughts always go back to the days of spinning the fly, all the fish caught were within that 20 yard range. Never saw the point in trying to cast further and then possibly waste the water that is in front of me trying to achieve distance. What I can do though, it is to step into the water anywhere in my local loch and put out a decent line. If there are trees directly at my back it does not matter for by using roll, single or double spay casts, or, even if there is a strong wing blowing from L to R or from R to L it does not matter either for I can cast just as well with my left hand as what I can with my right. With the words of my late friend who was a casting instructor still ringing in my ear, Peter Mackenzie-Philps, he said that the guy from the bank wades out and then tries to cast out as far as he can. The guy fishing from a boat, he tries to land his flies as close to the bank as possible. One of these chaps has got it all wrong. If you were to open my fly box what you will find is natural imitations for the nearest I have to a lure is possibly an Alexandra, possibly a Butcher or a small Jersey Herd. There is no need for me to go continuously casting long lines and stripping back. I go fly fishing to relax not for physical exercise, the only real physical thing that I do when going fishing, it is cycling to the loch or possibly rowing a boat. Well that's my excuse for not being able to cast 33 yards. Although it would be very nice to achieve this, it is not that important. Over an average season, if those that can cast this distance and are catching more fish than me then possibly I may worry about it.

Paul_B

This reminds me of the golfing gorilla joke

1627455862582.png

Dingbat

I max out at about 70 feet, cliff edge. I could possibly get another 5 if I used a line tray rather than the grass. Double haul necessary because I can't lift that amount of line off the grass. On five weights and higher, anything below, no way. Do I care? Not really. Accuracy? Straight line all the time. Elegance? Sometimes, rarely.

We could introduce pacers like in running and cycling, I could try a 90 foot cast - although that would have him laughing so hard ...

Latest posts