Can you cast a full length of 30 yard WF fly line?

Ability to cast a full 30 yard fly line off the reel. Normal single handed rod and WF fly line

• Easy, no problem

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Occasionally, with a following wind behind me.

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Get close, but usually few coils left on the reel

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • No chance

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • Never tried

Votes: 8 8.9%

• Total voters

James9118

I made a video this morning. There's a couple of things I'd like to say, firstly I don't like my delivery on the 70ft cast - it's very lazy. I would sharpen that up normally. Secondly, gripping the line under my rod hand (trapping it against the cork) means that my hand isn't as relaxed as with my normal casting, this tension probably extends up my arm.

Cast 1 - no haul, no shoot - target 70ft
Cast 2 - no haul - cast a full length line (actually it's 95ft) into the backing.

Last edited:

ohanzee

I'd reckon most of us have limited space to make long casts, reservoir or big water bank fishers aside there is usually a bank rising behind or trees, or a fence, or whatever, then the most undiscussed and most limiting thing in all the world, for me anyway, grass underfoot catching the line you are trying to shoot, out it goes and...oh I'm standing on it...oh it's tangled in grass..etc.

It's been said many times but the point of any practice is to make things easier at a lesser distance, you get the confidence to know that you can and understand the circumstances when it doesn't, none of that means you have to, or need to, casting distance is a bit like knowing your car is powerful enough to overtake before you do it with a car coming the other way just.

jaybeegee

I made a video this morning. There's a couple of things I'd like to say, firstly I don't like my delivery on the 70ft cast - it's very lazy. I would sharpen that up normally. Secondly, gripping the line under my rod hand (trapping it against the cork) means that my hand isn't as relaxed as with my normal casting, this tension probably extends up my arm.

Cast 2 - no haul - cast a full length line (actually it's 95ft) into the backing.

I can’t do that, I’d drop the book trapped beneath my elbow! 🙂

Tangled

Looks really easy - and straight too :)

What gear are you using?

Last edited:

ohanzee

Nice, does look very within your comfort zone, how much of a difference does hauling make?

James9118

Nice, does look very within your comfort zone, how much of a difference does hauling make?
Obviously with doing it one handed I'm missing the extra line speed that the haul gives. As such, I have to make some effort to shape the loop on the FC (not that I really did that on the delivery cast to 70ft in the video). With the haul added I don't really have to 'shape' the loops - it happens on it's own.

Elwyman

I'm amazed how much line you shot....whenever I try a big cast the line loops catch on something.

PaulD

It's been said many times but the point of any practice is to make things easier at a lesser distance, you get the confidence to know that you can and understand the circumstances when it doesn't, none of that means you have to, or need to, casting distance is a bit like knowing your car is powerful enough to overtake before you do it with a car coming the other way just.
There is a great deal of knowledge and experience revealed in these comments. There have been numerous posts which remind us that, in the majority of cases, for the majority of anglers, lots of fish are risen / hooked within 15 to 20 yards and that many don't feel the 'need' to be able to cast 90ft. The crucial matter is whether you are able to cast well and if you can cast 90ft efficiently, 15 to 20yds in difficult, challenging circumstances, or into a head wind, becomes less of an issue.

Back in the 80's, I spent a lot of time searching for larger fish on our bigger reservoirs from a drifting boat. The technique, often referred to as the 'Northampton Style', required the ability to cast around 40yds sideways from a boat drifting at a right-angle to the wind, with differing density lines until the level of feeding fish was found. Yes, we used big rods and heavy (9 -11) shooting heads but both boat management and particularly casting were skills that required no small degree of practice.

Having the ability to cast 80ft efficiently, with two false casts, requires practice and is a skill that would have a huge benefit for the performance of the vast majority of fly fishers I see on our still waters.

D

Deleted member 81051

I've always been able to cast reasonably well, but I have no idea how far I can actually cast nowadays; however, I'm finding a lot of the casting information above very interesting and appreciate the skill of those giving out the information.

Nearly all of my fly fishing is from a boat on Lough Corrib these days, and a great deal of the fish I would rise or hook are within a few feet of the boat, and sometimes almost touching the boat.

Occasionally, I'd want to cover a rising fish, but if it's too far to reach without hammering out a longer cast, It'll normally be within range soon enough with the boat drifting towards it and I'm in no hurry.

Elwyman

I've always been able to cast reasonably well, but I have no idea how far I can actually cast nowadays; however, I'm finding a lot of the casting information above very interesting and appreciate the skill of those giving out the information.

Nearly all of my fly fishing is from a boat on Lough Corrib these days, and a great deal of the fish I would rise or hook are within a few feet of the boat, and sometimes almost touching the boat.

Occasionally, I'd want to cover a rising fish, but if it's too far to reach without hammering out a longer cast, It'll normally be within range soon enough with the boat drifting towards it and I'm in no hurry.
Which reminds me, my biggest trout this season, about 5lb, was caught jigging a damsel fly in deep water about 4 yards from the bank!

ohanzee

Right cock measuring thread this one isn't it.

Technically we have only measured James's and his was already verified, odd thing is that in some ways this was a short cast for him, I find it really useful to see how people that can do things do them, gives me pointers.

Anyway, what does it become if James posts a clip of his wife casting further than that?:unsure::D

Elwyman

I can think of one situation where a 30 yard cast might be of benefit to me, but reading what others say about the difficulty of hooking fish at that range, it's probably not worth worrying about.

I occasionally fish the tail of Tyn y Cae pool on the Conwy, which is the pool below the junction of the Conwy and its tributary, the Lledr. The tail of the pool can be very productive for sewin/sea trout at night, if you catch it right. The river runs out of the tail and splits in two around a small island.

I fish off the RH bank, the river bed is very rocky and not safe for wading. You can catch sewin from our side of the stream, but you often see fish showing right near the far bank, in the tail....so it's awfully tempting to try to cover them!

There is tall reedy grass behind me and a solid line of trees some 15 metres back. I would say my best effort is around 25 yards of fly line out....that's using a 10' #8 rod and a #8 Snowbee XS midge tip line....which is a great for shooting lots of the thin backing line.

25 yards, in the dark, trees behind you, avoiding numerous flying bats, casting a 2 fly cast without tangles, is a fair effort methinks. Perhaps I should try that set up in daylight, practice my DH technique, and try for the 30 yards!

ejw

As I posted early on, I can do a full fly line on grass (with still conditions) with a 3 or 5wt, but have vary rarely gone anywhere near that on water. My old boat fishing partner used to put out a full line consistently, but struggled to connect, as if he pulled into the fish he would snap off, (10 - 15lb line) as the rod was too powerful, (10' 8wt comp special) he had to let the fish hook themselves. My 15m to 20m casts with a light 5wt could hit them hard, with no snap off's ! I never see the need for distance casting, as an ex hunter (wildfowling) the trick was always to get close enough, so you didn't miss (no long, hopeful shots).
Just my way of pleasure flyfishing, nothing to prove.

Latest posts