Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ability to cast a full 30 yard fly line off the reel. Normal single handed rod and WF fly line

• Easy, no problem

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • Occasionally, with a following wind behind me.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • Get close, but usually few coils left on the reel

Votes: 32 20.6%
  • No chance

Votes: 63 40.6%
  • Never tried

Votes: 14 9.0%

Can you cast a full length of 30 yard WF fly line?

40K views 429 replies 64 participants last post by  Rhithrogena 
#1 ·
Can't say I've ever managed to achieve casting a full fly line off the reel. Have got close occasionally, but probably a couple of yards short.
Interested to see what general ability level is.

#3 ·
I can't quite get there with my softish #5 - just over 80' routinely at the moment - but can with my mate's very fast #7.

But in a lifetime of fishing I've never really tried serious casting. I think I'll get into the 'easy' category this year as I'm taking an interest; it's just technique, timing and practice. "Just".

#6 ·
Used to do with a Snowbee Prestige 6# and with ease. However, since most lines I use now are 40plus types and I'm nowhere near 90 let alone a full 120. :rolleyes:Makes me wonder if the Snowbee was a full 90. :unsure: I always had line left on reel when fishing a Greys Platinum.

Reactions: dave b
#9 ·
I bought a Barrio GT140 and spooled it and cast on grass with it before twigging what the 140 meant ?
Having being used to the backing knot going out of the tip ring on grass I was surprised to say the least ?

• Haha
Reactions: catzrob
#8 ·
Yes.
Often on grass with a single wool fly, or fishing with a stiff saltwater rod and a #9 line. Occasionally trout fishing with a #5 line.
No need for huge distance usually but at the end of a session last night I put my DT4 out as far as I could on my #4 rod, there were a few turns of line on the reel so 25+ yds, and I hooked a fish which took the dry just after it landed. I think this the furthest I have ever hooked a fish on a dry fly.
If you can cast the whole line when needed, shorter casts are easier and accuracy and presentation improves.
Rich

#14 ·
With ease, but then I like to compete in fly casting comps (I currently hold the BFCC #7 record at 146ft). There's only three things you need to cast a fly line far; 1) good tracking, 2 ) high line speed and 3) nice shaped loops. If you get 1) and 2) correct, the 3rd largely takes care of itself however.

I learnt to distance fly cast after coming back from a salt water trip knowing that I wasn't good enough given the severe winds encountered. I still come back thinking I could improve and that's why I practice. My other half can cast a bit too, she has the women's BFCC #7 record at 128ft (she also has most of the other distance records), so again can cast a 90ft line into the backing with ease. I'll also point out that she's physically weak, but has a great technique.

James

#17 ·
Hi James, currently practising hard to get the full line out, 25yds no prob, then it falls apart. Pretty sure it’s my tracking that starts to curve and results in a weird left to right unwinding of the loop. Any tips for getting it straighter? Thanks

#18 ·
Hi James, currently practising hard to get the full line out, 25yds no prob, then it falls apart. Pretty sure it's my tracking that starts to curve and results in a weird left to right unwinding of the loop. Any tips for getting it straighter? Thanks
Hi,

It certainly sounds like a tracking issue but they're hard to diagnose without seeing you cast. A good exercise for improving your tracking is to cast at targets - both on the forward cast and delivering on the back cast. Start with short targets and then extend the distance. Look for the line, leader and fly all landing in the exact same line (it's also good to stand at the side of a football pitch and try and land the cast on the painted lines).

Also try 'pantomime' casting holding something like a pen whilst watching yourself in a mirror - look for any movements you make that deviate the pen from the straight line. You could also film yourself casting from the front on position (rather than the side) and watch the path that your rod tip takes if you have a suitable camera.

Hope that helps, good luck.

James

#20 ·
I fly fished for 45 years before I learnt to use the DH , A long awaited trip to Cuba meant I had to learn to cast distance , two or three lessons and lots of practice over a year got my casting to the point I could empty the full line , Pleased to say the couple of trips abroad since have been a success , best of all my average river casts have improved no end too.

O M W

#39 ·
Anglers should concentrate on accuracy and becoming a better caster not a longer caster !

Precision casting will get you over more wary fish than boom casting !

Too much obsession on long casting nowadays and not enough on precision!

I do however take my rods and practice boom boom casting for fun with 30 yards obtainable , I have never used the full line cast in fishing situations!

Practice Accuracy & Stealth [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Col

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#46 ·
Absolutely , I have very rarely missed a fish because i couldnt reach it . but missed loads because my cast was not on target or it landed heavily . Stealth is the key both casting and also wading as close as possible. I find on rivers that effort on wading is usually much more beneficial than effort on casting. I fish with a guy who is an amazing caster but will always try to get as close as possible when he can . He wades like an effing ninja to , think I am going to stop fishing with him I always feel indequate lol.

O MW

#40 · (Edited)
I know its different with fly lines but People always overestimate their casting distance in all fishing , I sea fished for years and for a while got into tournament casting with the locals we had a few 200 m plus guys I was nowhere near that bur could hit 180 190 regularly. its great watching blokes who were fishing guys who were "150m" casters getting onto a field for the first time and getting their casts measured at 85 m.....

O M W

#47 · (Edited)
I know its different with fly lines but People always overestimate their casting distance in all fishing , I sea fished for years and for a while got into tournament casting with the locals we had a few 200 m plus guys I was nowhere near that bur could hit 180 190 regularly. its great watching blokes who were fishing guys who were "150m" casters getting onto a field for the first time and getting their casts measured at 85 m.....

O M W
It's not called the 'tape of truth' for nothing :) I always have a wry smile when I see promotional videos where the caster sweeps the rod back at the end to get the backing knot showing and then proclaims 'an easy 100ft cast'.

#41 ·
I'm told that to pass even the advanced GAIA test you only need to cast to 85’ (amongst other things) so we have an extraordinary bunch of people here if 10 people can not only cast to 90’ but do it easily!

Of course not everyone has voted, there will be an element of self selection involved and the equipment to be used hasn't been stated. But even so…

#42 ·
This reminds me of the sort of thing we used to do as kids. Who can "p" the highest up a wall. That was a pointless exercise as well.

By the standard that ohanzee refers to, ie 25% of the posters on this thread claim to be able to cast 30 yards with no difficulty, this should translate to 25% of the anglers on any given stillwater being able to cast 30 yards without difficulty. Unless of course those claiming to be able to do it are being economical with the truth or this forum is blessed with a higher proportion of expert casters than are to be found in the general fishing population.

#50 ·

Sorry, non dominant hand, dominant is not really worth showing, it goes alot further.. and hey, those claiming accuracy is more important are forgetting its the same basic skill level that needs to be practiced ?
And yeah, sorry, instructor, competition caster and all around nerd . I prefer to be able to present my fly regardless of outside restrictions, so I practice and take lessons to get better, one day I aim to be good.

Cheers
Lasse