Can you mix and match rod and reel brands?

Al F

Hi,

I’m completely new to Fly fishing and I have just bought a Redington outfit. I would like to upgrade the reel in the future as it’s plastic. Can I put an Orvis Clearwater reel on a Redington path 9’ 5WT rod?

original cormorant

Reel feet for probably all reels and rod fittings manufactured today comply with a standard maintained by the AFFTA, who are the same body who publish standards for fly line weights. These are the only standards that apply specifically to fly fishing tackle.

wobbly face

As been posted but be careful. Actual weight of reel (not line weight) should be considered. If you are comfortable with present setup, then try and match reel weights. You don't need like for like but near enough.
Altering reel weight too much can effect your casting and lead to wrist, elbow and shoulder problems.

Rhithrogena

Is that the Redington Crosswater reel?
Is there anything wrong with it?
Composites can be fine in a reel, the Okuma Airframe is one such that is very popular (and very cheap...)
Don't be too quick to change, get a bit of experience first so you know what you are looking for.
All the bwst,
Rich

willie_r

Most fixed spool reels are made of composite material these days.
It's fine for fly reels too, can take a bit of dropping on rocks, boat rash etc, without any ill effects.
Salt water safe too.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Reel feet for probably all reels and rod fittings manufactured today comply with a standard maintained by the AFFTA, who are the same body who publish standards for fly line weights. These are the only standards that apply specifically to fly fishing tackle.
Therein lies a tale!
Will be some reels dont fit some rods because of the reel foot.
Been that way for decades.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Don't hold back, what is it?
Sadly, I do not know all the rod brands and reel brands where said impasse occurs.
I can only add a few.
Hardy 500 does not fit easilly onto an orvis, cant remember which one, but does happen.
Tibor (billy pate) everglades, does not fit onto some high end rods
Was a time that every s.a.(scientific anglers) reel did not fit onto many middle and top end rods, reel foot had to be changed to fit.
Been there done that, so to speak

PaulD

There is much greater consistency in reel foot manufacture today than there was in previous years. I have 7 Lamson reels, Lamson do not make rods, I have never had any issue attaching a Lamson reel to any of the rods I own.

willie_r

Sadly, I do not know all the rod brands and reel brands where said impasse occurs.
I can only add a few.
Hardy 500 does not fit easilly onto an orvis, cant remember which one, but does happen.
Tibor (billy pate) everglades, does not fit onto some high end rods
Was a time that every s.a.(scientific anglers) reel did not fit onto many middle and top end rods, reel foot had to be changed to fit.
Been there done that, so to speak
I have one of the early SKB cassette reels, which I can't use with my Hardy Demon rods.
It fits on every other rod.
And every other reel I have fits the Hardys.
🤷‍♂️

Overmiwadrers

Danielsson Nymph doesnt fit on the silly little fitting on my TXL....Which I find really ff,,,,,nkkkk irritating

O M W

petevicar

In fact sometimes rods and reels from the same manufacturer don't fit.
Many years ago I had a Hardy Sovereign 9ft 6 rod and 3 different Hardy Sovereign reels. None of them fitted together.
In those days Hardy had a shop on Pall Mall. I visited the shop and explained this to one of the sales guys. He said this was impossible but when he tried he was rather shocked.

nymphist

In fact sometimes rods and reels from the same manufacturer don't fit.
Many years ago I had a Hardy Sovereign 9ft 6 rod and 3 different Hardy Sovereign reels. None of them fitted together.
In those days Hardy had a shop on Pall Mall. I visited the shop and explained this to one of the sales guys. He said this was impossible but when he tried he was rather shocked.
What a mess, sovereign rods and reels are among my favorite Hardy tackle, back in the day i couldn't find them and picked a couple of hardy ultralite reel and rod combos instead.

BobP

Why ever not? My favourite river set up is a 9' #4 Hardy Zenith Sintrix with a Danielsson Dry Fly reel. Works perfectly.