Canada

Rob Edmunds

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations they care to share with me ?.

I'm looking to visit Canada in 2022 with my wife and son specifically for a fishing holiday. ...a log cabin, river and a lake in the middle of nowhere would be ideal for us..

Thanks Rob

colliedog

I have seen some great features on you tube for lodges in the wilderness with lakes where you can either self drive or be guided. One of these was a film with John Horsey if you can locate it. Unfortunately no first hand experience.

If you go touring and end up in the Banff, Calgary area then I can recommend the Bow River. Upper for wading or drift boat trips for browns, lower for drift boat trips for browns and rainbows. Its been a while but it was fabulous.

pati

Hi Rob,

Plenty of crazy stuff there, on my list in Canada:

-Dry fly fishing (bombers) for Atlantic salmon - for some reason Canadian salmon are very receptive to the method, but this is river focused…
-Also river focused: Labrador and the Nipigon river for tHUGE brook trouts

More for lake:
-Ouananiche which is the local name for landlocked salmon. By all account it is essentially a supercharged brown trout fighting like a steelhead…
- Lake trout: these can be absolutely huge (think 40lbs…) but normally caught trawling, not sure about flyfishing for them
- Musky and pike: crazy sport especially top of the water action

Stuff of dreams!

uptomyknee_s

Hi Rob,
My parents emigrated to Canada for a few years back in the late forties. They returned in the 50's. Saskatchewan and Alberta were a couple of places they lived. The Bow River in Alberta is one hell of trout river. Can't recommend anywhere I'm afraid. When I went to see where my parents lived I was lucky to stay with a relative. I'd certainly go back if the opportunity arose.

Rob Edmunds

My lad is 18 end of next year so this is a special treat for him ( and the wife and I)

We can go anywhere ....he actually fancies Cuba and bonefish but that's out due to Covid..

I fancy Costa Rica again out because of Covid...

So Canada is one of the few places we may be able to go....

Need to do some research but it will be 2 weeks of pretty much solid fishing.....I actually don't mind plugs or bait ...

I'll fetch my coat🤦‍♂️

stevel

A great country, as previously stated, it's huge and lots o different types of fishing.
I have a brother and sister living in Ontario and Nova Scotia. I used to visit my brother in Ontario and our cousin would take us fishing in his bassboat in the big lakes for large&small mouth bass, pike, walleye etc. There's also trout and Great Lakes steelhead in the rivers running off the lakes.
Further East in Nova Scotia there's altlantic salmon, the famed rivers are likely very hard to get onto if not impossible and very expensive.
On the West Coast there's BC where there are runs of steelhead in the Skeena and its tribs and also pacific salmon. BC steelhead is expensive, even as a DIY option, as the licences cost quite a bit and its tightly controlled. Vancouver Island is a bucket list destination of mine, and where my bamboo rod maker James Reid lives. There are steelhead, resident trout, pacific salmon and also sea run cutthroat.
I did a trip to a BC Skeena steelhead lodge for my 50th and would love to return again, but perhaps not a lodge trip as all up it was quite expensive. Perhaps DIY accommodation and food and hire a local BC guide (only locals can hold a guide licence).
One thing to note is that this year in BC (& also WA) was a total wipeout for fish returns, probably a tenth of the expected numbers. I'm not sure what the forecast is for next year.
If you do go, and you do DIY, make sure you know about Bears and how to handle them!

LukeNZ

My lad is 18 end of next year so this is a special treat for him ( and the wife and I)

We can go anywhere ....he actually fancies Cuba and bonefish but that's out due to Covid..

I fancy Costa Rica again out because of Covid...

So Canada is one of the few places we may be able to go....

Need to do some research but it will be 2 weeks of pretty much solid fishing.....I actually don't mind plugs or bait ...

I'll fetch my coat🤦‍♂️

Hi Rob,

Have you thought about Alaska?

Can recommend Cooper Landing, Kennai Peninsula. Great trout fishing.

If you must go to Canada, then Terrace, BC would be my pick.

There are cabins to let in both places - and you would need to be firm on your dates, so that you can book early, to get what you want.

There is lots of information if you sesrch on each of the towns, they are quite good at marketing themselves. And you can communicate directly with owners, and get the most useful and honest information.

Check the season for the species you are interested in fishing for. The off season for some of the salmon species can still deliver great trout fishing, so if trout is what you are interested in - you should be able to avoid high season, and sll that brings..

I am already jealous!

Will be going to Alasks as soon as I can be sure of not having to try and book 2 weeks in MIQ (quarantine) when re-entering NZ. Have had to cancel the last 2 years at Cooper Landing.due to covid.

Alsxka is great for NZ proportioned rainbows and up, on the swung fly, two-handed trout-spey being my thing. They get really big eating the remains of all the spent migratory salmon.

There are even salmon flesh fly patterns..

🙃

Last edited:

Rob Edmunds

I'm not really interested in Salmon, just the trout, and was thinking about chromanoid time on the lakes and stillwaters.....hoping it would be a similar style to here.

Bears hadn't even crossed my mind🤦‍♂️.

A lot of research is needed....

Mr Notherone

Talk about spoilt for choice - you could stick a pin in a map blindfold for Alberta and BC and be sure to find trout.

I'm a ski nut and have been all over Canada skiing. One of my favourite areas is around Fernie in south east BC. I know a lot of the ski guides there are also fishing guides in the season. I've not done it myself, but I've been told the Elk river and its tribs provide some of the best fly fishing in Canada. Fly into Calgary and Fernie is a 3 hour drive south west. Good luck choosing!

bonefishblues

Bahamas
I'm not really interested in Salmon, just the trout, and was thinking about chromanoid time on the lakes and stillwaters.....hoping it would be a similar style to here.

Why don't you do a multi-island Bahamas trip?

Rob_N

Hi Rob,

It’s a long time ago, but I spent a month (August) in British Columbia. My Uncle Cyril (sadly no longer with us) lived in Chilliwack and did a lot of fishing and hunting. We took his 4 wheel drive camper and boat for a weeks fishing. He used very different tactics to what me and my Dad were used to - his lake trout fly fishing was done with a spinning rod, bubble float and fly. Salmon fishing on the Fraser River was more like beach fishing for Cod that we were used to back home - beach caster types rods - heavy leads to hold bottom and fish roe for bait. It was crude but effective. Mind you the river must be half a mile wide at that point, deep and fast.

We used our Rutland fly gear and out fished him on the lakes. You needed a boat though. There were bears with cubs about, I was told I had to stop bank fishing. There were campsites but no lodges on the lakes we fished, and you needed 4 wheel drive.

I think your plan of finding a lodge with a lake/river is a good one. Without a bit of local knowledge and a camper van it would be hard to do it independently. Sorry I can’t be helpful and suggest somewhere.

It’s a wonderful place - you’ll have a great time! I’m looking at a (fishing) holiday myself, but my wife has said it must be somewhere hotter so she can lay by the pool while I sneak of fishing for a couple of hours.

Rob

BobP

Rob

Youtube is the place to visit. Look for Brian Chan who is a freshwater biologist and keen angler in the Kamloops area. There are more lakes there than every member on here could attempt to fish in a lifetime. It is very high on my "must go back to" list. My favourite river of all time is the Clearwater which is about an hour or so north of Kamloops on Highway 5. There is a tackle shop in a small village called Little Fort. Well worth poking one's nose in. Turn left here off Highway 5 and you are into more lakes than you could poke a stick at.

Going in the spring there won't be any salmon to distract you. The countryside around Kamloops is very John Wayne, especially in the later summer.

Just remembered that the Kamloops lakes were used in the World Championships way back. I first went in 1995 and it was before then. Lac le Jeune was a venue if I remember.

Last edited:

Vermontdrifter

Make sure each of you is equipped with proper bear spray and have been shown how to use it plus watch out for moose as they can be more dangerous than bears simply due to a larger population. Moose may seem placid but they are easily spooked or upset and when 700 pounds of moose dances a fandango on your rib cage you are not going to be a happy camper.

cammy

I read an article that said as well as pepper spray for deterring bears you should wear bellsvaround your ankles when walking as that lets the bears know you are coming and they can get out of your way so there are no surprise encounters.
Th varticle also said being able to identify what type of bears are in the area by their poo, as it reflects their diet, was useful too.
Black bear poo is seemingly sweet smelling and full of seeds and vegetation.

Grizzly bear poo is full of bells and smells of pepper.