Canal Help advice.

Canal whereabouts?

• Fly fishing for other species

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anyother advice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Perch@1

Hi guys I'm interested in Canal Fly fishing for perch pike but unsure of where in my area?

My where abouts are New Tredegar so if the forum can advise I'd be happy to look into it.

Thank you guys 🎣

jerryrum

I don't know the area, but general canal advice is Perch love features. Locks are the best bet. Failing that bridges are always a hotspot.

Narrow boats, overhanging trees, vegetation etc. Anything that breaks up the straight lines of the canal.

Use a low, bouncing retrieve with a red and/or silver fly through these and you'll get some little 'wasps' at the very least.

In my experience Pike are similar, but favour the vegetation. Zander prefer the bridges (or anything else with shade) and tend to stick to the bottom.

Perch@1

I don't know the area, but general canal advice is Perch love features. Locks are the best bet. Failing that bridges are always a hotspot.

Narrow boats, overhanging trees, vegetation etc. Anything that breaks up the straight lines of the canal.

Use a low, bouncing retrieve with a red and/or silver fly through these and you'll get some little 'wasps' at the very least.

In my experience Pike are similar, but favour the vegetation. Zander prefer the bridges (or anything else with shade) and tend to stick to the bottom.

I'm unsure of area and I bloody live here! but Big Thanks for advice Jerryrum.

They are all feeding points which will help me. I've mostly fished resevors, moats for Perch Pike so canal wise I'm not wise.

I'll keep searching?

Keep fishing and safe 🎣

PaulD

I would exercise some caution fishing near narrowboats. In some, designated mooring points, angling is not permitted and some boat residents can be anti anglers due to issues with tackle, mostly weights and spinners etc, banging against the side of their boats - they don't differentiate in favour of fly anglers.

Perch@1

I would exercise some caution fishing near narrowboats. In some, designated mooring points, angling is not permitted and some boat residents can be anti anglers due to issues with tackle, mostly weights and spinners etc, banging against the side of their boats - they don't differentiate in favour of fly anglers.

Thanks for advice. PaulD, keep fishing 🎣

Latest posts