Canoe open access in Wales

philx123

Completely agree, and nice kayak, btw. Where are you fishing, there?

I couldn't agree more. These are the jetski fraternity who can't afford the fuel! For mass events such as those illustrated by the white water rafts and kayak rally in Scotland - this should be seen as an opportunity - WHAT! I hear you cry...oh yes. They are going to win, simply through weight of numbers, just like the Kinder Scout mass trespass did. BUT, if it could be argued about the upkeep costs and they were having to PAY for their access - as in pay towards the upkeep of the eroded river banks, the parking places churned to mud through the weight of their camper vans and cars with trailers, then every one of those of those paying £10 a day would soon boost the coffers of flagging angling finances.

I agree with the sentiments about loss of quietude - but the pressure for more people to be able to enjoy those privilidges is greater than ever and trying to maintain the Bourgeoise situation of it is only available to a very privilidged minority will not last and really cannot be defended. Besides, if they got their act together and got 10,000 kayaks for a mass descent - what you going to do, arrest them all?

People need to work together, not become antagonistic. Education of the dmage to the conservation efforts by giving talks - not to fishing clubs, but to canoe clubs. Embrace them and work with them, I think you will find they are very much like you and I, who love the outdoors and if they knew they were doing damage to endangered species, they would be mortified. They might ask for evidence - that is where the scientific evidence comes in.

As regards my kayak fishing exploits: I would like to think that I also present an opportunity to fishing clubs to gain extra revenue by selling additional tickets to anglers able to fish the otherwise unfishable stretches of river. Kayak anglers are anglers too don't forget, I don't want to disturb others any more than I want them to disturb me. Kayak only stretches - the wasted bits that all overgrown with willows and alders and have no bank access, those are the bits a kayak angler will fish. The clear banks - I will fish them from the bank because it is easier and more comfortable! Thankfully, there are fisheries who have recognised this and are welcoming kayak anglers, including trout fisheries: Esthwaite, Toft Newton, a little one in N. Wales near Chester somewhere that I have forgotten the name of, Wimbleball, Roadford, Llangorse, Bala and the bigger rivers such as the Dee, Trent, Severn, Avon, Yorkshire Ouse, Wye!! There are some big pike in the Wye that I would love a chance at.

Why is it I only encounter reticence in England and Wales, but in Scotland I am welcomed. In England and Wales fisheries that allow fishing from a tube and boats won't allow a kayak...why? They are far more seaworthy than any of the boats I have ever been in on any reservoir or fishery. I would love to see any of those boats beam on in a 6 foot building wave - this is 12 miles out, sharking and sat side saddle.

So don't tell me they are not safe - that coming from people who argue you don't need to wear a lifejacket or kill cord!!!!! Look at the safety gear we carry routinely, as in would NOT launch without: drysuit, pfd, vhf, flares, compass, GPS, torch.

But the prejudice against the use of the oldest fishing vessel in the world continues! :rolleyes:

brickbatt

the latest from canoe Wales on access. seems they'll settle for nothing less than 24/7/365. :eek:

Canoe Wales Statement on Access

Canoe Wales statement on access is set out below. The statement sets out our position on the rights of access, the responsibilities of users, the role of Canoe Wales, our position on charges, our position on access agreements and our role in relation to access.

1 The right to use the inland waters of Wales
Canoe Wales supports the rights of its members and the general public to use all the inland waters of Wales with responsibility and pride.

2 The right to be fully supported in law
Canoe Wales believes that the law should be improved to make clear the right to use the inland waters of Wales. In the absence of statute, Canoe Wales holds that there are sufficient legal rights for its members and the general public to paddle responsibly without interference.

3 The right to access the river at an appropriate point
Canoe Wales supports the right to enter and leave the water in places where there is already public access, or where access, conditional or otherwise, is provided.

4 The responsibility to respect the environment
Canoe Wales encourages its members and the general public to understand and respect the environment when using the inland waters of Wales.

5 The responsibility to respect other users
Canoe Wales encourages its members and general public to treat all other users of inland waterways with respect.

6 Our position on charges
Canoe Wales believes that members and the general public have the right to enjoy navigation of the natural inland waters of Wales without charge. Our inland waters should remain with the parks, mountains, coast, public footpaths and bridleways as public spaces which are free to traverse for all.

7 Our position on access agreements
Canoe Wales does not endorse access agreements but will issue or endorse guidance on responsible use from time to time.

8 The role of Canoe Wales in relation to access
Canoe Wales will:
· campaign on behalf of its members to uphold the rights set out in this statement
· campaign to further reinforce those rights in law
· support members by issuing guidance for responsible use
· work with other interest groups to promote and widen the responsible use of the inland waters of Wales
· promote the benefits of access for the population of Wales in terms of quality of life,
economic improvement, healthy living and benefits to the environment

We would hope that all of these activities would benefit other user groups and the general public.

wynne

Interesting to note in other Forum notes that Cantref seems to be going over to canoeing - very little press publicity.

BENDINO

Done !

Interesting to note in other Forum notes that Cantref seems to be going over to canoeing - very little press publicity.

I can't find it now but I think there was a mention on another thread that a local angling club had bought the rights to Cantref - surprising & worrying if this one has slipped under the radar.

ATB

Rob

wynne

Rob - in the Welsh Stillwater fisheries section - possibility of a club negotiating with Dwr Cymru.
Seems to be a lot of misinformation going around - trouble is that some of the snippets may have some truth in them.

sgregm

Done, but looking at the figures its apparent that the message has not reached all anglers as yet, there are many more coarse and fly rods out there, spread the word

Last edited:

Guest100

Come on, let's have a bit of a push here everyone, it's sliding into obscurity! There's over 3 million anglers in the UK, and over 35,000 members on this site, and we can't even muster a few thousand signatures together. It's ridiculous.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to sign to date. Just be aware those who haven't signed, this issue may be on your doorstep soon.

teuchter

All anglers in the UK really need to wake up to this. The Canoe Unions have latched on to the estimated 75,000 hill walkers and the like to drum up their very low member count. Get registered here now, the Welsh Green Paper is meant to be launched around Easter. Discussions are already provisionally underway between Sport England and the BCU and AT..........if you don't get yourselves into gear now........don't complain later !!!!!!

George Barron
WSTAA

sewinbasher

I think the latest news on this is that the proposals for access to water have been dropped from the legislation, time will tell but that's what I'm hearing.

oldbull

I hope you are right Sewinbasher.

I'm pretty close to things and I've not heard that yet; will be a great result if it is.

Ray.

teuchter

As Oldbull says......We are at the sharp end of this and have heard nothing like Sewinbasher is telling us. Politicians are a friend of the last person they talked to...........get registered now !!!!
GB