Can't quite believe it.

BobP

I have an Airflo Superdri Elite. Blo*dy good line. I didn't use it a for just over a year & then peeled it off the reel. Not a coil in sight so I tried with other lines that had been on the reels for less time and all needed stretching first. I used the Airflo on my first trip this year with no issues whatsoever. I'll use it again when I feel like it.

Above is a classic case of "give a dog a bad name." If Capeldrae can't quite believe an Airflo floating line can be just as straight and just as good as any other fly line then let him get down to Farmoor and I'll prove it. I'll be there on the 27th with a friend. Anyone with an open mind would be interested.

Reactions: JCP

JCP

Please don't let this go any further just beg to differ.No smoke without fire and past bad experiences tend to linger. I do have a few airflo floating lines which are fine with an Elite and a Bandit amongst them.It is an enigma from days gone by and some good fly fishers have had the memory problem and some have not.Send it back is the answer.

JP

Vintage Badger

To continue the dog analogy, for me it's a case of once bitten, twice shy! Admittedly this experience was back in the early to mid 90s when a friend and I entered some sort of promotional offer (I think it was saving up tokens from a fishing magazine) to get a special offer price 'amazing new' floating line and free membership of the Airflo Gold club (anyone else remember that? I still have the badge!).

When we received our 'special offer' floating lines, neither of us could do a thing with them to get rid of the recurring memory issue. In the end my friend used his to tie his runner beans up with! So I think Airflo do probably do have a memory issue, in that people remember past experiences! I keep seeing their adverts and thinking maybe I should give them another try, but to be honest, at today's prices I can't afford the gamble. 😟

Last edited:

BobP

Capeldrae,

You quoted "fifty years." Was that a deliberate lie or just plain ignorance? Airflo didn't make fly lines in 1971. I must add that I have no axe to grind on this. I have no connection with Airflo in any way, but if someone is going to quote something as a fact then I expect it to be correct. You are about 20 years out and I agree that they were bad in the early 1990's.

Lots of things back then were very poor. The early carbon rods were very bad compared to modern versions. Does that stop people buying a carbon rod these days? The answer is obviously no because manufacturers recognised the flaws and corrected them. Why, then, do you assume that Airflo haven't done the same?

I just wonder how many of those who condemn Airflo lines have actually bought or used one. Or do they just condemn out of hand based purely on prejudice and long out of date prejudice at that?

Vintage Badger

Snip: I just wonder how many of those who condemn Airflo lines have actually bought or used one. Or do they just condemn out of hand based purely on prejudice and long out of date prejudice at that?
I certainly don't condemn them, for me it's a case of being wary of their floating lines based on previous experience. I've bought a number of other Airflo products over the years (including a 15ft Delta Classic salmon rod) and have been very happy with them - hence me still wearing the 'Gold Club' badge on my fishing waistcoat. 🙂

Paul_B

The first one I bought was like Zebedee, they were good enough to swap it and that was the same, I've never bought another.
However I do like their G3 line

Tangled

I have two Airflo Rage Head Kits for double handers and they're really, really, good lines. Also have an #7 Airflo Bomber line for big lure, sea trout - another good line.

Rhithrogena

I have heard good things about recent Airflo floaters and thought I'd try one.
It was a Sixth Sense, admittedly on offer, but was by far worst floater I have ever cast. I started a thread, if you want to see pictures of how bad it was.
Maybe old stock? Who knows, but it was totally sh*t....
So I have seen 'bad' old and new Airflo lines, but still want to find a 'good' one, in a DT4. Any suggestions anyone?
Rich

diawl bach

1997 - 2021, Airflo lines through the ages,

spiral-spring-flexible-coils-wire-260nw-1440128165.jpg

3lbgrayling

To continue the dog analogy, for me it's a case of once bitten, twice shy! Admittedly this experience was back in the early to mid 90s when a friend and I entered some sort of promotional offer (I think it was saving up tokens from a fishing magazine) to get a special offer price 'amazing new' floating line and free membership of the Airflo Gold club (anyone else remember that? I still have the badge!).

When we received our 'special offer' floating lines, neither of us could do a thing with them to get rid of the recurring memory issue. In the end my friend used his to tie his runner beans up with! So I think Airflo do probably do have a memory issue, in that people remember past experiences! I keep seeing their adverts and thinking maybe I should give them another try, but to be honest, at today's prices I can't afford the gamble. 😟
I still have the line and the badge.:confused::confused:Just to remember how bad it was.

Jim

pentlandflyman

Mud sticks eh, I've had quite a few of their floaters over the last 10 years and they have all been excellent, the last few have been as good as any other top brand so they have definitely improved massively. I did avoid airflo floaters for years after buying a few absolute shockers. Their intermediate and sinkers have always been right up there, I wouldn't hesitate recommending or buying their floaters now.

Latest posts