Can't quite believe it.

taffy1

Maybe since being taken over, quality control has improved, or maybe design has upped its game & improved manufacture. Took them long enough if they have.

noel

Bigtel posted a pic of a Rio midge tip on Fb a couple of weeks ago and it was like a snake on the water .

Tangled

I'm very unimpressed by my £50 Orvis Clearwater Intermediate. It floats! It will eventually sink after a dozen casts or so but unevenly. It was also coiled like a spring, but did at least stretch out after pulling it round a tree for a few minutes.

But now the memory is mostly gone it's proven useful as I can start fishing with a floating line and if nothing happens carry on down slowly with the same line.

I bought a Maxcatch Gold to practice with - turns out it's a great line and I'm now using it for everything.

ed_t

The Maxcatch Gold is way over the AFTM.
But with his understanding maybe he bought a 3 weight line for his 5 weight rod... to tick standard specifications...

Or he bought a 7# maxcatch for his 7# rod, loves it, and has been bs-ing about the need for precise classification.

LukeNZ

Have got an AirFlo Delta Spey 2 line, it casts long like a dream. When conditions permit a looong belly, Don't know about durability yet only used it a handful of days.

Have experienced less than excellent though with some older AF trout lines.

in fact, I have had problems with several Rio trout lines too after a few outings on sunny days, the coating going a bit crumbly. I tend to not bother with Rio because of the frequency of that, and our UV levels.

Scientific Anglers Spey Lite integrsted lines (I really like the Scandi version) are excellent and last 2 seasons of full on use.

🙃

ed_t

Have got an AirFlo Delta Spey 2 line, it casts long like a dream. When conditions permit a looong belly, Don't know about durability yet only used it a handful of days.

Have experienced less than excellent though with some older AF trout lines.

in fact, I have had problems with several Rio trout lines too after a few outings on sunny days, the coating going a bit crumbly. I tend to not bother with Rio because of the frequency of that, and our UV levels.

Scientific Anglers Spey Lite integrsted lines (I really like the Scandi version) are excellent and last 2 seasons of full on use.

🙃
Did you clean your hands between putting on sun screen and handling the line? UPVC coatings don't respond well to the components of sun tan lotion apparently.

ohanzee

It was a straight question. How overweight do you think it is and how do you know?

I think it is as heavy as a Rio Gold, 5 weight 30' 146gr (9.5gm) total head weight 208gr (13.5gm)

Am I wrong?

Which is still on it's AFTM at 30' by the way.

Last edited:

LukeNZ

I
Did you clean your hands between putting on sun screen and handling the line? UPVC coatings don't respond well to the components of sun tan lotion apparently.
Good point, but I wear a hat, as not fond of sunscreen lotions.

That level of deterioration has not occured with other lines. Both lines that did that were bought at the same time, and were a new model - cant remember which line variant it was now. But never bought Rio since discovering SA Spey Lite.

🙃

Tangled

I think it is as heavy as a Rio Gold, 5 weight 30' 146gr (9.5gm) total head weight 208gr (13.5gm)
Am I wrong?

Well done, they're the numbers shown on both their websites tables. Both are supposedly heavy #5s. Now your point was what?

Latest posts