Can't quite believe it.

LukeNZ

Well done, they're the numbers shown on both their websites tables. Both are supposedly heavy #5s. Now your point was what?
....or light #6's?
That is the better use for them. Oh but you probably haven't even tried them...
This is another Google university piece is it? 😃

ohanzee

Well done, they're the numbers shown on both their websites tables. Both are supposedly heavy #5s. Now your point was what?

146gr is at the very top limit of a 5 weight, if that works for you then great, the system is clearly working for you.

I personally prefer a lighter line on my premium fast action ERN 7 5 weight :whistle:

LukeNZ

No, they're still with the #5 range. And yes I have tried them.
Try a 5wt. Gold on a #6 rod. or similar differential, as in; under line the rod by one wt. with a Gold. (so half a line wt. technically, under weight).

Let us know your experience of that?

🙃

Last edited:

Tangled

I'm just surprised that after banging on about the system broken and why we should have true to weight equip, you prefer to use a very heavy line.
The system is broken. Lines do not have to conform to a standard anymore and a third of them don't. That's a broken standard and no-one in the industry is denying it. Huff and puff all you like, that's the situation. Buyer beware.

Why do you think that that is in anyway connected to me buying a line knowing its actual weight, the rod I used with and what I use it for?

Have you tried the line?

ohanzee

The system is broken. Lines do not have to conform to a standard anymore and a third of them don't. That's a broken standard and no-one in the industry is denying it. Huff and puff all you like, that's the situation. Buyer beware.

Why do you think that that is in anyway connected to me buying a line knowing its actual weight, the rod I used with and what I use it for?

Have you tried the line?

A third of them don't conform and those are the ones you prefer :D but you want everyone to not do that?

I have tried a Rio Gold, it's like towing a caravan.

taffy1

How about comparing the weight differential between a lightly tied #10 Mayfly to a heavily dressed #12 mayfly, all aerodynamic calculations will be well accepted. Please include hook weight & actual weight of materials attached to your hook.

LukeNZ

Have you tried the line?
Well there is this thing called R&D, and it is connected to another thing called marketing, which is connected to you Tangled.

It works something like this.

Researchers discover a lot of folks can't really cast that well. And, especially not, with faster modern graphite rods. Those are the sexy high modulus graphite rods which people that can cast well; prefer.

So, the line manufacturer develops a line and profile that aids the average (polite for poor) caster, to get the racy rods to work for them, by turning racy rod into a slug.

Then the resultant line is marketed as a line that enables average (read, poor) casters to cast short and cast further with the racy rod, and that makes them feel like a pro...

Then this is where you come in Tangled.

You now want the rod manufacturer to make you feel like a competent caster, by saying his racy #5 rod is really a #7, simply becsuse you don't like the idea of using a casting aid to help you to cast said modern performance #5 rod?

But for the rest of us, that 1/2 a line weight heavier 5wt line is a really great 1/2 a weight lighter 6wt. line. (we just ignore that it says 5wt. on the box, good casters can do that... they are allowed🤣).

That 1/2 a wt. lighter stiffens the rod and crisps up the tip, and is much more suited to those who's technique easily and efficiently develops higher line speeds; the good, better, and best casters, generally, as circumstances dictate, naturally, of course..

So you see; nothing is broken except your pride, because the line manufacturer is deliberately giving you a bloated 5wt. line you can use for a #5 rod that you orherwise couldnt use, with the same line a proficient caster would prefer - true 5wt. or a tad less).

Hope that helps?

🙃

Last edited:

Tangled

A third of them don't conform and those are the ones you prefer :D but you want everyone to not do that?

I know this is really hard for you to do - in fact so far it's proven impossible - but do try. Just imagine that whether a line is over or underweight is independent of what you, I or the queen likes or thinks about it. It's just a fact.

It's not personal. Just a fact. A line labelled a #5 that is one weight overweight is a #6.

I have tried a Rio Gold, it's like towing a caravan.

What garbage.

LukeNZ

I know this is really hard for you to do - in fact so far it's proven impossible - but do try. Just imagine that whether a line is over or underweight is independent of what you, I or the queen likes or thinks about it. It's just a fact.

It's not personal. Just a fact. A line labelled a #5 that is one weight overweight is a #6.

What garbage.

But the line manufacturers obviously know that, they are doing it with certain lines, marketed to help guys just like you.

🙃

Last edited:

Latest posts