Can't quite believe it.

bennysbuddy

I think what we need is a universal measurement system for teabags, based on the strength of tea per second of brewing. Once this has been done, teapots can then be tested to establish how long the convection currents take to brew the tea to the same strength as in the 'industry standard' laboratory test vessel.

Teapots can then be rated to the tea bag, for instance, you'd normally use a #5 bag for a #5 teapot, using length of time to vary the strength of brew as required. However, those who want to present a cup of tea in a shorter time could use a #6 or even a mild #7 tea bag in a #5 teapot to achieve this. Simple.

However, it would be important not to significantly over-bag or under-bag a teapot, as this could lead to very poor presentation... or even a broken teapot (if the person you served the unsatisfactory tea to happened to be bad tempered!).

I think it's high time we standardised this currently chaotic tea brewing system, which results in people quite wrongly saying they don't like a particular brand of tea bag, when it's most likely their brewing that's at fault. (y)
It would simplify the whole brewing of tea for us novices.

baca157

The labelling on the Cortland 444 says it's a #5 weight. Its actual weight is a #6. Nothing tells you its actual weight. I think it matters, you don't care.

Yeh, right of course you do. But wouldn't it be easier if they just told you the actual weight so you don't have to go to all that trouble and expense? At least RIO tell us.

here is a useful link with information on the weight of Cortland 444 line:

Hope that helps (y)

Cheers,
Sebastian

ohanzee

That's truly bizarre. Why on earth do I have to buy a handful of lines to find out their weight? Why on earth can't it just be correctly written on the label?

Fk knows, I have never bought a line not knowing it's weight and profile, god knows why you can't.

You don't seem to have a problem finding it when you need it to argue.

Last edited:

bennysbuddy

Nice. It is a bold 'working mans' tea.
If you enjoy it, then you probably enjoy a good robust single malt scotch too.
I highly reccomend Port Charlotte 10 year old. A really great drop of the cure, that one! From the Bruichladdch distilliary on the island of Islay, Scotland. You will find it in the US on line. If not drop me a line and I will find you a bottle.

🙃
my drink of choice is locally called APPLE PIE , it comes in a mason jar with a cinnamon stick in it , the brand I like is called lil George .

LukeNZ

my drink of choice is locally called APPLE PIE , it comes in a mason jar with a cinnamon stick in it , the brand I like is called lil George .
I didn't know you could buy it. Most folks I know wjo like that make it themselves in a jar or 12! Apple cider moonshine - nice with a bit of chill in there too - instead of the cinnamon stick with your 190 proof grain alcohol, my friends auntie uses Evervlear for that. Takes a month or two to mellow..

Or is lil' George shine, made with a still, in the woods?

🙃

bennysbuddy

I didn't know you could buy it. Most folks I know wjo like that make it themselves in a jar or 12! Apple cider moonshine - nice with a bit of chill in there too - instead of the cinnamon stick with your 190 proof grain alcohol, my friends auntie uses Evervlear for that. Takes a month or two to mellow..

Or is lil' George shine, made with a still, in the woods?

🙃
it was made in a logging town( Darrington wa.), by a long time traditional method that started in north Carolina. it is now legally made by a local legal Distillery based in Arlington Washington . the homemade stuff from a still in the woods is still around ,also known as stump water.

bennysbuddy

I just received my highly recommended Yorkshire tea , it’s very good but it was missing something. I added some Cuban rum & it hit the spot on a rainy day. A few cups of that tea & nobody will care if their fly lines not laying out straight. Carry on !

Latest posts