Canyoneering Boots for Wading

delray

Hi, apologies for starting a new thread on wading boots.....just wondering if anyone invested in the above type of boots when the subject came up sometime ago. The soles on my Vision (I think) boots are beginning to come away from the upper and maybe it's time to spend a bit more than I usually do in the hope I'll get more wear-time out of them.
Cheers,
Del

McBad

Hi, apologies for starting a new thread on wading boots.....just wondering if anyone invested in the above type of boots when the subject came up sometime ago. The soles on my Vision (I think) boots are beginning to come away from the upper and maybe it's time to spend a bit more than I usually do in the hope I'll get more wear-time out of them.
Cheers,
Del
Sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm approaching this problem from the other direction. I've got a pair of 'Bestard' canyoning boots that i bought for other activities a few years ago. I know they work great with neoprene socks so I'm going to get some sock foot waders to use with them.

The only drawback i predict is that the laces on canyoning boots probably go through more eyelets and hooks than on wading boots, but i don't know much about wading boots!

I've attempted to attach a photo in case it helps.

Fredmoore

I need to look out for something new perhaps,I have a pair of vision boots,which came as part of a deal for vision waders,nothing particularly wrong with the boots,but if you are covering a lot of river,it feels like you are walking in weighted diving boots When wet,surely there is a lot better and lighter for this?

McBad

I know the bestards are considerably lighter than a pair of medium weight dunlop wellies in the same size (which surprised me when i wrighed both). Have walked a few miles in the bestards no problem, good for scrambling around on rocks as well. The laces though are a pfaff, especially if you have cold hands or they are covered in mud.

wobbly face

I've had several pairs of Vision wading boots, latest being the Loikka with gummy sole and studs. Only 3 seasons and had to cut toe protecting part of (came unglued, couldn't glue back), studs are rusty and also no longer grip well. I didn't find them heavy, not compared to my Hodgman's Aesis wading boots but these do grip.
I've tried work boots, again grip with studs but not without. Same with hiking boots. Used trainers wet wading, again no grip and wading boots with rubber only slip and slide.
So which canyoneering boots? I could be tempted, more so for summer.

McBad

Fwiw i bought a new pair of chest waders recently along with boots. The waders arrived by courier but the boots are still on back order. Result was that i was sat on the back of the car making a choice between the canyoning boots or a pair of wellies to be temporary wading boots.

Quickly abandoned the canyoning boots. Too much complex lacing to be done (remember you're trying to see what your doing round the bulk of wader legs) and i was also a bit worried about the metal lace hooks at the tops of the boots damaging the waders. So, in the real world i ended up going with the wellies.

(The wellies worked well. For the future i might cut their height down a bit and drill some small holes round each foot, big enough for the water to self drain but not large enough for grit to get in.)

springwell

Perhaps the Vision boots are not so good these days.

I've had mine for about nine years now, not pricey ones they came with my Vision waders.

The soles have come unstuck a couple of times, but I've just glued them back on.

Also use them for sea fishing too and they are still ok and they have had a lot of use.

Waders are still ok too, just one or two minor repairs to seams.

Vermontdrifter

Last September was on Islay when the sole on one of my boots deserted me. Bought a cheap pair of low Dunlop wellies, five minutes work with a pocket knife to cut two holes on each side of the boots and it worked perfectly well for the rear of the week

wobbly face

I've just ordered some Bestard Wild Water Pro's. Been looking at wading boot alternatives and these looked good for wading including wet wading and also trekking to wild waters.
I have used safety boots but not the most comfy for walking distance and they needed studs for wet slippy rocks, got 4 seasons hard use out of them though before the stitching went on the uppers.